2800 Hybrid with Trashed Cam Decision Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2800 Hybrid with Trashed Cam Decision Advice

Engine Background: I put a TGP turbo setup onto my 2.8 back in 2007 with a new high volume TGP oil pump. I decided I wanted more, went to 3400 heads with 26986 springs which I cleaned up the casting flaws (wouldn't use the word ported) and put in an Engle cam ~.490 lift int/ex (2009.) The end of that year my T25 started to smoke after the second rebuild on it, and I decided to go to a GT3271 twin scroll turbo (2010.) The end of 2010 my car developed a tick from the top end. I towed it to my parents house, and with the purchase of my own house, found little time to work on it.

I tried to diagnose it a couple times, compression check (everything was pretty even), I pulled the valve covers off and none of the rockers had pulled out, pushrods were all tight. I thought maybe I had a lifter that was occasionally bleeding off pressure. Fast forward to this weekend, I found a trashed lifter, and an even more trashed cam. Cylinder #4 exhaust lobe is gone. Which explains the compression test somewhat. If it was #4 intake i'm guessing it would have been a different compression test outcome.

I have a new intake manifold gaskets, and new Crane lifters ready to go. Also, I feel like ordering a new cam and pulling my engine will be the fastest way to get back on the road. I know the 2.8 is old tech, and doesn't have much power, but I think that's part of it's appeal to me. At the same time, you have to know when to cut your losses and move on. Bottom line is, what should I do with it?

Pull the engine, replace the cam. Check the main/rod bearings to make sure they didn't get trashed in the process and rock out in 2.8 liters of the best 1988 had to offer.

Bail on the 2.8, it's old tech move on to a 3400 keep the turbo.

Screw the turbo setup entirely build an NA 3400 (simplicity is nice, extra piping, oil lines etc is just more to screw with)

Go for a 3500, it takes an external crank sensor, but they can be had cheaply and ultimately make more power.

Get rid of the car entirely it clearly takes up too much of your time (likely the choice of wives/girlfriends)

Looking forward to your comments. Thanks,

Jon
    New cam for the 2.8 and keep it going
    0.00%
    Swap to a 3400 and keep the turbo
    60.00%
    Swap to a 3400 ditch the turbo
    30.00%
    Swap to an NA 3500
    10.00%
    Walk away from the car
    0.00%
    Last edited by ghrarhg; 04-23-2012, 11:51 PM.

where's the turbo 3500 option?
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

the biggest reason for no 3500 turbo option is that my current turbo kit won't fit the larger exhaust ports. That means a whole lot more fabrication than I wanna get into considering it's already late april. I was hoping this car back on the road this year.

Comment

Turbo'd 3400 has proven reliable and can make lots of power (~400HP).
        Matt
        2000 Oldsmobile Alero GLS sedan
        3400/3500 hybrid, Diamond Racing forged pistons, Scat I-beams, TCE DRTC, ported heads, WOT Race cam, PAC 1518s, Manley valves, F40 6-speed with Quaife LSD

Comment

Personally I have to keep the cars running to avoid losing motivation. So I would:

Stage 1 3400 NA
          Stage 2 3400 Turbo

Of course I end up pulling motors more often than is healthy, but I drive them every year.

~sam

Comment

3400 exhaust gaskets are still a little larger than stock 3500 exhaust ports.. assuming you have D flanges on your current heads they'll work fine on a 3500.

If you wiped a lobe the engine needs to be torn completely apart and boiled to get all the metal chunks out. It'll probably need all new bearings as well if anything got through the oil filter. IMO not worth it on a 2.8.
            Past Builds;
            1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
            1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
            Current Project;
            1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

maybe I'm missing something, but what kind of car are you working on?
              "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Originally posted by ericjon262 View Post
                maybe I'm missing something, but what kind of car are you working on?
                You didn't miss anything, I never mentioned it. It's an 88 Pontiac Grand Prix.

Comment

2 door or 4 door? what kind of shape is it in? if the car is in overall good shape, throw a 3400/3500 in it and roll, they are cheap and plentiful, if the car is rough, pull the good stuff, and find a more solid project.
                  "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

It's a white 2 door. (Like the other 90% of them). The car is in great condition. It has just over 100k on it, and it was never driven in the winters. Very little if any rust on the body.

The walk away from it option was just a joke, although my wife might consider it based on the $$$/mile I've put into it lately. Being a factory 5 speed car it would take a lot for me to junk it.

I'm likely going the 3400 route, since I already have a 3400 top end on the 2.8 all the fab/wiring work is already done. It should now be plug and play with a low mile 3400. Needing an external crank trigger is pushing my away from the 3500. I don't see it on WOT-Tech's site currently, and I'd like to get this thing back on the road soon.

Comment

Originally posted by ghrarhg View Post
                      It's a white 2 door. (Like the other 90% of them). The car is in great condition. It has just over 100k on it, and it was never driven in the winters. Very little if any rust on the body.

The walk away from it option was just a joke, although my wife might consider it based on the $$$/mile I've put into it lately. Being a factory 5 speed car it would take a lot for me to junk it.

I'm likely going the 3400 route, since I already have a 3400 top end on the 2.8 all the fab/wiring work is already done. It should now be plug and play with a low mile 3400. Needing an external crank trigger is pushing my away from the 3500. I don't see it on WOT-Tech's site currently, and I'd like to get this thing back on the road soon.
                      WOT-Tech recently stopped carrying TCE products... so you would have to find a used one or possibly contact them direct unless Ben plans on providing one to replace what TCE had.

Got Lope?
                      3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                      Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                      Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                      12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

I vote 3400 swap, and then, turbo later.

Comment

Working...
                        X