Where to go now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to go now?

I have been working on a mild build for sometime now, I just placed the order to the last of it. I am wondering where else to go now?
    I currently have the follow: Stage 1 heads, stage 1 lower intake manifold, and stage 1 upper intake manifold (ordered). I have a short ram intake and the 2.5 inch Pacesetter exhaust.
    At this point I figure I have some decent gains, but not really sure how decent.(I do not know how to read flowcharts or anything like that and do not have access to a dyno to accurately rate the gains) I also ordered the PCM tune as well, in hoped that would bring out some of the potential.

I am now thinking of headers, but not sure if they would be worth it with what build I have now-and I have yet to find a set of S&S headers and I really do not want the Pacesetter ones due to the complications in fitment.
    Cost wise; a camshaft is not really an option to me as I was quoted an insane amount f coin for an install.

I am considering a TB, but am thinking it may be too touchy for two driving. I have lots of stoplights and intersections.

What else could be recommended?

Get HP Tuners package from wot-tech and learn how to tune. That will really open up the mods you put on. Having the ability to tune, change settings as needed will do wonders for your cars performance and will aid a lot when diagnosing issues. Especially intermitent issues that occur only when driving as you can log the car.
    1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

Well, for now I was able to get a tune from Ben which included all the mods I have done to my car. The tune file was from a Stage 1 build, so it will compliment my car very nice.
      I do not plan to go turbo or charged or anything.
      As far as the HPTuners? I have considered it, but never had the money to drop on a brand new one, and used ones are gone within hours of posting. I have been keeping my eye open.
      I am thinking at this point my only options left are to get headers, a TB, or a camshaft. My internals have all been upgraded. Push rods and bigger injectors are not needed as they are more then sufficient for what mods it has on now.
      If anyone has any ideas I am open to them as well.

Thanks.

Comment

Buy a reliable DD and then do everything you ever wanted to this one?

Headers are always a big gain to be had.
        TB will help and it won't be too "touchy". I have a 65mm. When other people first drive my car I tell them it is touchy but after you touch it once you realize how easy it is to ease into it. Just a small learning curve
        14.63@92.9 -Full LX9 with CAI, 65MM TB, 2.5in DP, Borla Cat-Back, Crappy tires, Quick tune (Dyno Soon)

Comment

I will look into the headers first and see if that satisfies me.
          The S&S are the ones to look for right? Not the Pacesetter?

Comment

I think Ben told me that he still had a set of S&S headers; I'd do those before Pacesetters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Matt
            2000 Oldsmobile Alero GLS sedan
            3400/3500 hybrid, Diamond Racing forged pistons, Scat I-beams, TCE DRTC, ported heads, WOT Race cam, PAC 1518s, Manley valves, F40 6-speed with Quaife LSD

Comment

Big lumpy cam, and a converter is it's an automatic.
              "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

I mentioned above, I am avoiding a cam at the moment due to the large amount of labor cost involved, and I do not have the equipment to do it myself either.
                As for the headers, I will have to ask Ben.
                A converter is also a large amount of money, a couple grand last I checked to turn it manual.
                Thanks for the suggestion though.

Comment

More air in + more air out = more power

You are avoiding the one part that will tie all that together, the cam. You reduced restrictions in/out, other then cramming air into the engine a cam is the next ideal investment IMHO.

You can slide the cam out the wheel well if you are willing to drill a 2" hole in the right place. Then bolt a cover back on. That is how you could remove the cam w/o having to remove the engine itself.
                  1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

Originally posted by TGP37 View Post
                    You can slide the cam out the wheel well if you are willing to drill a 2" hole in the right place. Then bolt a cover back on. That is how you could remove the cam w/o having to remove the engine itself.
                    I wouldn't do this to my car. I'm unsure on others, but on my car the end of the cam (intermediate shaft in my case, but same exact location as a pushrod cam) is pointing right at the unibody frame tube. Now if you boxed it in, that would be a different story, but if you are going to go that far you may as well just drop the pass. side of the subframe a few inches and slide the cam out under the unibody tube.

As for my $.02 where to go now? You can only go so far with these engines without adding some form of power adder, be it N2O, S/C or a snail.
                    Last edited by pocket-rocket; 09-13-2012, 05:40 PM.
                    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                    Originally posted by Jay Leno
                    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Yeah, I figured as much.
                      I will pass on the camshaft then. The gains per $$$ spent is just far too low from what I looked at.
                      I think I have it as good as I will get it at this point.
                      I am still looking at a solid improvement even without the camshaft.
                      I did talk to Ben, I will have to do some hard consideration on whether or not I want to get the headers.....
                      I will get the PCM and the UIM sometime next week, and I will be done with it.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectCreature View Post
                        I mentioned above, I am avoiding a cam at the moment due to the large amount of labor cost involved, and I do not have the equipment to do it myself either.
                        As for the headers, I will have to ask Ben.
                        A converter is also a large amount of money, a couple grand last I checked to turn it manual.
                        Thanks for the suggestion though.

No, a torque converter, not a manual conversion. get a higher stall converter if you run a lumpy cam, but since you don't want to swap a cam, you don't have to worry about that.
                        "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

you can still put a bigger converter in it and have some more fun, something in the 2500 ish RPM range.

Revmax built mine for like $350 or so, it's a great upgrade.
                          Past Builds;
                          1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                          1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                          Current Project;
                          1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
                            As for my $.02 where to go now? You can only go so far with these engines without adding some form of power adder, be it N2O, S/C or a snail.
                            or all three, NOS, Super & twin turbo.....

Comment

Originally posted by TGP37 View Post
                              or all three, NOS, Super & twin turbo.....
                              I would love to see carnage pics after killing a bottom end like that, hahaha!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
                              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                              91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                              92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                              94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                              Originally posted by Jay Leno
                              Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Working...
                              X