2.2 S-10 bellhousing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.2 S-10 bellhousing.

Well fall is in the air and winter is approaching here in Colorado, so its time to start working on my project again. I've searched the site and find lots of information, so much it gets confusing. I have several questions I'd like some input on from memebers.
    I'm building a 1923 Ford Track roadster and am using the 3.1 from a 1991 Isuzu.
    I currently have a 1984 Camaro T5 and 1984 Camaro 2.8 bellhousing mounted behind the engine. I'd like to use a Fidanza flywheel for a 2.2 to allow the engine to rev quicker. My question is, can I use a 2.2 bellhousing from an S-10 in place of the Camaro Bellhousing? Would the flywheel/clutch disc/pressure plate to transmission input splines distance be closer to correct with the 2.2 bellhousing? If I understand correctly, the 2.2 bellhousing has the left side starter clearance buldge and would use a hydraulic slave cylinder to operate the throwout bearing fork.
    Last edited by 23TrackroadsterV6; 09-20-2012, 04:34 PM.

I think the bellhousing might have a different t5 bolt pattern so you may need a different t5 as well but I don't know for sure.
    '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
    '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Yea I think you will need a 90's T5. This would bee a good idea anyway since you can get your hands on a WC T5. There was a Camaro bellhousing made in some years that had starter pockets on both sides. This would help you out.
      1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
      1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
      Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

A 90s t5 should have the correct trans to bellhousing bolt pattern for the 2.2 bellhousing. If you are using the 2.2 flywheel you will probably have to use a 2.2 bellhousing to get the correct depth (fwd flywheels are skinnier).
        '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

I actually have the Camaro Bellhousing with pockets on both sides, it is really is not designed with enough clearance for a starter on the left side. I've tried several different starters from various FWD applications and all will need to have some grinding done to provide clearance to bolt up.

Comment

Why not get like a 3.5 and just run a normal 2.2 flywheel. Will be better then that 3.1.

Comment

Lightweight flywheels make for a nice quick revving engine and are great for light cars. The fidanza flywheel should fit the same as a normal 2.2 flywheel I think he's just trying to come up with the correct trans/bellhousing combo. The S10 trans might not be the greatest for his project because of the shifter location for example.

I had a lightweight flywheel and solid mounts on my lt1 swapped firebird and loved it!
              '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

The shifter location can be changed easily using a camaro tailshaft housing. I am using a mustang tailshaft housing and shift fork on the camaro t5 I put in my s10. It really depend on what ratio you want inside the trans. For instance the s10 trans utilizes gears for low end, but are not as good on the highway.
                Last edited by baktrak; 09-22-2012, 02:10 AM.

Comment

I currently have the Camaro T5 bellhousing mounting pattern redrilled to bring the transmission "straight" up. Again, not exactly sure why GM did it, but the pattern was already marked and had "bosses" cast into the bellhousing. I've swapped the guts out of the Camaro shifter to use some S-10 parts and some Mustang parts to be able to have a bolt on stick and the shorter shifter throw. I've started to think that perhaps the bellhousing from a mid 80's S-10 with a 2.5 "iron duke" might work. They have the so called "GM small corporate pattern" and the GM T5 pattern is on the transmission mounting surface. I know some years had mechanical linkage clutch operation and some had hydraulic slave cylinders. I'm going to check a few of our local salvage yards and see what I can come up with. Other research I've done leads me to believe that V6 and 4 cylinder T5 transmissions use the same input shaft so the 2.2 flywheel may actually work with the Camaro bellhousing and Camaro T5.
                  Last edited by 23TrackroadsterV6; 09-22-2012, 02:33 AM.

Comment

The flywheel will work with a camaro t5, I have a camaro t5 behind my 2.2 in my dime right now. I used the stock s10 clutch and flywheel.

Comment

$T2eC16JHJF8E9nnC6VKFBQTipfH3h!~~60_57.jpgOk, being new to the lingo on this site, whats "dime" translate to? I assume you have a Camaro T5 attached to a 2.2 bellhousing behind a 2.2 engine? Does the T5 you are using have the "ford" bolt pattern?
                      After spending the morning "touring" our local "Pull-N-Save" it appears that 2.5 S-10's are a rarity. I only located one and it had the "large" GM pattern on the bellhousing, so I assume it is the "early" Iron Duke motor and it had the starter on the passenger side as well.
                      I did happen to notice that some of the newer GM V6's have a much smaller (and lighter!) starter. I bought one and will see if it will match up with the Fidanza 2.2 flywheel I have.
                      I have the "step-child" 3.1 out of an Isuzu, so it has the drivers side starter location and not enough "meat" on the passenger side to drill for mounting a passenger side starter.
                      Last edited by 23TrackroadsterV6; 09-22-2012, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Dime means s10. I have a camaro 3.4 t5 bolted to a 2.2 bellhousing behind a 2.2.

Comment

Working...
                        X