Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making a van faster

umm so ya

I already got a really built transmission that will handle whatever i throw at it

i bought a 2003 Oldsmobile Silhouette Van

im looking for 300-350whp and iam not used to 3400's (although im very well versed on 3800's and DOHCs) so this is new territory for me, also i dont want to swap to a 3800 because i dont like to rewire things it starts to make the car more sh**y if you know what i mean... unless one of you swaps vans for a living and makes the harness i need im not really interested in an electrically involved swap

i have some questions

what kind of power can a 3400 in stock form handle?
    besides the intake gasket whats the next place to have a catastrophic failure?
    what breaks the most on the engine?
    anyone ever do a van and not swap out for a 3800 and try and make it fast?
    3500 is less electrical involved?
    how much does a 3500 handle and what breaks on them?
    is 300-350whp possible in N/a form?
    will a turbo kit from a grand am fit in my van?

thanks for any help dudes
    Jordan
    2004 Grand Prix G.T.P T-72 Turbo 28PSI,BS cam.581WHP Sold..
    2009 G8 GT Cam,meth,cutouts,tune,LT's 420.1whp
    2003 Oldsmobile Silhouette Intake,Tune,Built Trans

Mars was DEEP into the 11's (11.13) with his cam and turbo 3500 3rd gen Camaro. I'm not going to say 300 is impossible N/a, but you're going to have alot of work into it to make that happen. can you weld? is the Van a DD?
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

300-350 WHP in N/A form with an auto trans is a stretch, it will be MUCH easier and cheaper to boost it.

I have a 3500 with a very well ported top end, good sized cam, equal length longtubes and ITB's. It made 263 WHP through a 700R4. (a little less than 350 @ the crank). It made 275 WHP through a HM282 5 speed in my cavalier.
      Past Builds;
      1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
      1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
      Current Project;
      1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Iirc the minivan engine bay is very tight. It would probably not be fun piping a turbo setup. Maybe a rear mount turbo is a better idea.
        '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
        '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Originally posted by caffeine View Post
          Iirc the minivan engine bay is very tight. It would probably not be fun piping a turbo setup. Maybe a rear mount turbo is a better idea.
          yeah, you're right, at the same time though, 260-280 WHP in a minivan would be pretty fun for scaring ricers...
          "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

so a grand am turbo kit wouldnt work?

what makes it tight? seems pretty spacious to me

Comment

from what I saw it was the overhead clearance. but I don't own one, and it's been a while since I've been under the hood.

Comment

overhead? like the hood touchs or something? or is it those bars that run diaginal next to the dog bone mounts

Comment

Dunno my parents have an 01 Venture and apparently to change the spark plugs the dog bone mounts have to come off and the engine gets rolled forward to allow access to the rear spark plugs.

I put a new battery in it for them once and it was more annoying than any other car I've worked on even though it wasn't difficult at all.

If you're going turbo, you have to find places to put the turbo, crossover pipe, wastegate(s), blow off valve, intercooler, intercooler/intake piping, downpipe, etc... I have no idea how much extra room would be available after deleting a/c, EGR, EVAP, stock air box, and anything else that takes up space.
                  '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Originally posted by The Hulk! View Post
                    overhead? like the hood touchs or something? or is it those bars that run diaginal next to the dog bone mounts
                    Ya the engine seems to sit partway under the cowl making access to a lot of things more difficult.
                    '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Looks like a challenge

1999 GLS MP90 supercharged / 2003 GL MP62 supercharged / 2004 GLS stock
                      Magnuson MP90 / TOG's / 3 in. Magnaflow exhaust / MSD ignition / LS1 MAF / Racetronix pump / HP Tuners / TCE 68mm TB / 36 lb Inj
                      = Best track time: 12.951 @ 104.48, 1.839 60 ft. (Beech Bend Raceway Park, 11-23-13), 50 Deg. F
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpVYZPbpPzk

Comment

Originally posted by AleroB888 View Post
                        Looks like a challenge

Yeah screw that. I'd hate working in that bay. But I'd love someone to do it lol. It would be tight But I can see a turbo in there, If not a rear mount. Should be plenty of room unerneath and out back for a nice rear mount set up. I wouldn't think about N/A at the power level you want. Just pick a nice turbo and run 7 psi on a good tune with some ported heads and intakes and you'll be happy.
                        14.63@92.9 -Full LX9 with CAI, 65MM TB, 2.5in DP, Borla Cat-Back, Crappy tires, Quick tune (Dyno Soon)

Comment

I've worked on a few of those vans, even pulled a few engines on them. I would do a rear mount, myself FWIW.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
                          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                          91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                          92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                          94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                          Originally posted by Jay Leno
                          Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

if i relocate the coolant bottle and get rid of the intake box i think there is enough room for sure

anyone else see it?

Comment

btw my agx shocks and lowering springs are going on tomorrow ill let you guys know how she handles!

Comment

Working...
                              X