2.8 Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.8 Performance

I have a 90 trooper with the 2.8 and I am wanting to add a little more power and wanted to find out what you guys think I should do. I already have 2 1/4 exhaust done and am wanting to know what I can do that will give me a little more power. I also am running 4.77 gears and 33'' tires so I dont have alot of highway power. I dont want to do the 3.4 swap as of now since I had the 2.8 rebuilt about a year ago, just some performance stuff to maybe wake it up a little.

4.3 tbi?
    holley carb?
    cam?
    bored out intake?

This is a family camping vehicle and I dont want to have to be wrenching on it all the time or even sometimes. I want a reliable camping vehicle that I can drive from dallas to san antonio or where ever and not worry about is it going to make it back.
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

for a vehicle like you have, torque is king. I'm not sure if the trooper got big vale heads or not, IIRC, the fiero 2.8 got bigger valves then the F bodies and S10s, so that could be a starting point. as far as the TB goes, 4.3, 305, and 350 all got the same TB, 2.8s got a smaller TB, and 454's got a bigger one. the only real difference (262, 305, 350) is the injectors. any mod you do should be accompanied by a tune.

I used to run an EBL flash on my 454...

Pretty cool setup, and very user friendly, I'd buy one again in a heartbeat if I needed it. I thought about using his SFI-6 on my turbo Fiero, but I went obd2 instead.
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

I sell the big bore TBI kit or you can do it yourself. Both options are on my site http://members.shaw.ca/isuzutrooper/

A cam is nice but it it a bit of work. But a good time to do it is when the intake is off. You will have to basically pull everything off the front of the motor to get to it. If that sounds up your alley then the COMP cams 252 K kit sounds perfect for you. I am running one on my 3.1L Trooper and it is perfect for what I do.

If you do these mods I doubt you will need a tune. I am running a 3.1L bored .040 over with a bunch of mods on a stock 3.1L Rodeo ECM and the drivability is great and my WOT fuel mixture is between 12.5:1 and 13:1.
      1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
      1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
      Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

What is the performance difference between the 4.3 and the holley both having the intake bored?

Comment

Originally posted by VOLTRON View Post
          What is the performance difference between the 4.3 and the holley both having the intake bored?
          I would say the holley is a waste of money, you can get a stock 454 TB cheaper to do the same thing, but you really don't need that much airflow for a 2.8. a stock 4.3/5.0/5.7 would be more then adequate.
          "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

The Holley 502-3 and the 4.3L throttle body are the exact same size. You just pay a lot more for the Holley and service parts are MUCH harder to find and most likely not in stock. You can get GM TBI parts from any parts store. They are so common that you will always find them in stock.
            1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
            1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
            Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
            X