worth it or not? 2.8/3100 hybrid.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• worth it or not? 2.8/3100 hybrid.

i have a 3500 swap in my 86 fiero that eventually i will pull and move to my 88, but until i get the time and all to do that, i want alittle more outa that 2.8.. was wondering if it would be worth it to do a 3100/3400 top-end swap?
    what else would i need?

i already have the top end laying around, and being "temp" im not worried about "Beefing up" the bottom end.

will the 3400 top fit onto the iron 2.8? or would i be stuck with the 3100? (from a 2003i think) would i NEED to change the cam or could i get away with stock cam and the high compression?

what kinda number might i be looking at?

ps. i already know ill have to ditch the dizzy and go with the 7730 ECU and DIS.

Meh, I wouldn't bother, but that's me. what I would do, is look very long and hard at your 3500 car and decide what parts you would have done different, so that when you swap it to the '88 you can get things patched up.
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

The 86 runs great, needs alittle tuning, just the body and interior are SHOT, not to mention some suspension issues
      I was going to start fixing all those when the 88 fell into my lap for a great price, and its in near perfect condition.
      I wont have the space / ability to do a cradle drop till next fall, so was figuring if I can do something to give this a bit more power then the 2.8 gives me id be very happy :P

heres the 88
      front.jpg
      opened.jpg
      side.jpg

plus, if I have a nice running hybrid to pull, could make some $ back to get the turbo setup done properly :P
      Last edited by hookdonspeed; 12-05-2013, 08:41 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

both cars five speeds? a swap like that shouldn't take but a couple of hours...
        "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

86 is a 4speed, but would need to cleanup the engine bay, do the fuel lines over, and all... and I have nowhere to drop a cradle right now :/

Comment

Originally posted by hookdonspeed View Post
            86 is a 4speed, but would need to cleanup the engine bay, do the fuel lines over, and all... and I have nowhere to drop a cradle right now :/
            then that is where I would spend most of my time, getting the preparations ready for the 88, things like getting fuel lines made, maybe start engine bay cleanup wherever you can reach, swap the heads before it goes into the 86. don't mess with something you can already enjoy in the present. until you're ready to take it off the road for a while...

Comment

I don't mind pulling it off the road, and I cant do most of the stuff id like to do with an engine in it and cant pull it... "user banned" ??

Comment

I have heard of people doing a 3400 top swap. I think that is what a 3x00 is but I'm not sure.

I was told that you can use the flat tappet cam and lifters, but IIRC, it takes a combination of pushrods... or something like that.

I have ALSO heard that the restriction in the 2.8 and 3.1 is the intake as much as the heads, so I'm not sure how much you would gain.

I'm sure interested too though, as I would like to put 3400 heads on my 1994 3.1L. My motivation is that of an extremely limited budget.

If I see the 3x00 thread around, I'll be sure to post the link here.

Comment

Originally posted by IDCavalier View Post
                  I have heard of people doing a 3400 top swap. I think that is what a 3x00 is but I'm not sure.

I was told that you can use the flat tappet cam and lifters, but IIRC, it takes a combination of pushrods... or something like that.

I have ALSO heard that the restriction in the 2.8 and 3.1 is the intake as much as the heads, so I'm not sure how much you would gain.

I'm sure interested too though, as I would like to put 3400 heads on my 1994 3.1L. My motivation is that of an extremely limited budget.

If I see the 3x00 thread around, I'll be sure to post the link here.
                  ow... my head hurts....

3x00= 3100, 3400, and 3500 non VVT. (some may include the VVT 3500 and 3900, I don't.)

what hooked is talking about doing, is to put 3100 heads and intakes on a ironhead 2.8. AKA a hybrid.

Comment

OK. Well, sorry to give you a headache, LOL. Just a beginner here, but I can't wait to realize some of the potential of a well built GM 660.

I appreciate everyone's patience while I get caught up here. I hope that I can meaningfully contribute to this site some day...

Comment

Working...
                    X