2.8/3.4 turbo selection. please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.8/3.4 turbo selection. please help

Hello forum, just signed up. been lurking for a couple months. i picked up a 27k original mile 3.4 sfi last night for $200 anyway long story short i'm swapping the 3.4 lower end with my fiero and putting it back in the car. i want to go turbo but i want twins... yes just for personal preference knowing that single would do the job just fine and probably be easier. so my question is what size turbos would i need to go twins on this motor?

Thank you for any input guys. greatly appreciated.
    Brian

please elaborate a bit for us, are you building a 3.4 camaro engine with fiero heads/intake? or a 3400 with fiero heads/intake?
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Originally posted by ericjon262 View Post
      please elaborate a bit for us, are you building a 3.4 camaro engine with fiero heads/intake? or a 3400 with fiero heads/intake?

Sorry for the lack of. well i was pretty much going to swap everything from the fiero to the 3.4 block. i know about the restrictions on the fiero intake and i will fix(cut and weld) it or make a truleo type intake. I'm not trying to break any records with this build but i would like to at least see a solid 180 to 200 rwhp if that's possible. i can do all the supporting mods like porting, cam, valve job, rockers and exhaust. my only hang up that is really intimidating me is the tuning. I've read about the 7730 swap but honestly the electrical side of this stuff just isn't my forte... kinda goes over my head.

Thanks for chiming in.

Comment

honestly, if you're wanting 180 hp, swap in a stock 3400 or stock 3500. I wouldn't bother with an Iron head build for that. the 3400 practically bolts in.
        "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

i already bought the motor lol even with turbos you think its gonna be a waste of time?

Thanks

Comment

well, a stock 3400 is rated at 180 hp (crank)stock, and IIRC, a stock 3500 is rated at 200 hp (crank) stock, the 3400 damn near bolts in. you can swap the fiero timing cover on and then you can re-use the stock dogbone setup and accessories. and it's a way more efficient design from the get-go, better ports and chambers, better intakes, it's lighter, it's stronger, ect.

Comment

This thread is a good read for using the 2.8 cover on the 3500. (process would be the same for 3400)

I've bit the bullet and am installing a LX9 3500 into my 86 GT. The local yard had a motor with 19k miles for $300 - I couldn't beat that price for a 3400. I've got the motor in my garage, have some last minute questions. Hopefully I can consolidate my questions into this thread. I will be using the 7730 computer and the Fiero timing cover and accessories. This will allow me to keep my alternator

Comment

thanks for the input eric. I'll do some more reading on it. but odds are I'll just stick with what i already bought. this is just a work car so I'm not wanting to sink a bunch of $ into it... save that for the porsche this summer

Comment

buy a low-mile junkyard engine
                  Firebird: The beta version
                  sigpic

Comment

For your power goals, a stock 3500 will make 200whp in a Fiero, or a lightly cammed 3400 should do the same.

Think about it. If you don't need to go turbo you save tons of money on the build and then continue to save money while driving because you don't have turbos sucking your gas mileage away .
                    '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
                    '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

i have already purchased a 3.4sfi. no point in buying another engine.

Comment

Originally posted by TTT123 View Post
                        i have already purchased a 3.4sfi. no point in buying another engine.
                        can you sell it for the $200 you have in it?

Comment

Originally posted by ericjon262 View Post
                          can you sell it for the $200 you have in it?
                          I'll just lower my expectations lol doesnt the 3400 require ecm, wire harness and other custom work to make it run in the fiero vs the 3.4l just needing the lower end swapped out?

Comment

Originally posted by TTT123 View Post
                            I'll just lower my expectations lol doesnt the 3400 require ecm, wire harness and other custom work to make it run in the fiero vs the 3.4l just needing the lower end swapped out?
                            So will swapping in a '7730 so you can tune your turbo 3.4 properly... you can run the 3400 off a '7730 just as easily. They are both DIS ignition motors...
                            sigpic

"When you don't do anything, you have plenty of time to post questions that don't mean anything tomorrow."
                            - Ben

Comment

Originally posted by carbon View Post
                              So will swapping in a '7730 so you can tune your turbo 3.4 properly... you can run the 3400 off a '7730 just as easily. They are both DIS ignition motors...
                              ya I'm reading that... decisions decisions.... well I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick with the motor i just picked up. been reading a lot of threads over on pennocks and 180hp to 190hp 3.4's that people are claiming with basic mods and no turbos sound like they scoot pretty good compared to 2.8 in these fieros. i'll keep reading on which route to take.

Comment

Working...
                              X