Oil Filter Modifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Filter Modifications

I've never really gotten an answer I'm happy with on the debate on longer oil filters versus OEM size; it always falls into a bigger-is-better versus never-question-an-engineer argument. I'm only asking here because you guys have been much more in depth with technical questions, and I feel like I'd see some new stuff here.

Also, I'm wondering if any of you run neodymium magnets on your filters to help catch finer particles. I got a small set of coin-shaped ones so I could stick one on the end, but as soon as I put it on, I instantly realized that it might be strong enough to pull on the anti-drainback valve spring, so now I have bars along the side. However, I do know there is only so much it can catch with an aluminum block.

Have any other oil filter modifications?
    - Stephen Brand

Mr. Brand,

The large volume filter can absorb more particle contaminates and possibly go longer intervals with maintenance when compared to the shorter filter with the very ever so slight benefit of more oil to aid in providing a very miniscule oil cooler affect. My main concern to a large filter is the initial dry start up after a spill and fill or if the filter is orientated a certain way in which doesn't allow oil to retain full capacity after shut down.
    Sometimes this is mitigated by an oil filter relocation kit, but other times it may not be cost effective or just not feasible to the application.

I've always ran the PF52 over PF47 when space allowed, price was right, and inventory was available. Additionally, I find it very important to make sure any filter being used has an anti-drain back feature.

FYI, these blocks are iron with aluminum heads.

Your link to "Cars Simplified" is not valid.
    Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

i've found that on a W-body, there is no reason to run a PF47 size cannister if a PF52 size is available, there extra length hasn't caused me problems. other platforms, i can't speak for. i fill the filter with as much oil as possible(and letting it soak through into both sides of the element) before spinning it on to minimize dry running time without spilling too much on my arm. with all of the 60V6 W cars i've had, the filter sits at roughly a 45* angle to the ground(maybe 60 would be more accurate?), though i've never had issues with the ADBV letting oil back into the engine after shutdown, even with cheap rubber ADBVs as opposed to the silicone ones used in more expensive filters.

i have some neodymium button magnets that i've thrown on the end of the filter as well, i don't know if they've actually done anything positive or negative and while strong, i don't think they're strong enough to move the cartridge portion of the filter down at all.
      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
      Latest nAst1 files here!
      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Ditto on the PF52 with my Fiero, Grand Am and Saturn Relay minivan....
        sigpic

"When you don't do anything, you have plenty of time to post questions that don't mean anything tomorrow."
        - Ben

Comment

i want to say there was at least one platform that used an adapter that moved and rotated the filter to where it would point straight up and down but the length of the PF52 would have extended past the subframe where the PF47 didn't? sounds like the easiest and least messy filter ever.
          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
          Latest nAst1 files here!
          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

The Beretta 2.8s I had were equipped with vertical filter positioning.

Comment

My 3500 engine came with one of those adapters... I believe it came from a Malibu.
              sigpic

"When you don't do anything, you have plenty of time to post questions that don't mean anything tomorrow."
              - Ben

Comment

Is there an argument for a smaller filter?
                Ben
                60DegreeV6.com
                WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Weight reduction and space used?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
                  -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                  91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                  92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                  94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                  Originally posted by Jay Leno
                  Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Tree huggers against recycling more waste product (oil & filter elements) ?

Comment

I have the biggest filter that was used on common passenger car engines. It is a Delco PF2C or Baldwin B2 it holds a full quart of oil and I have it mounted vertically on a remote mount. I do extended drain intervals so it is a little extra assurance.

As far as I see as long as you fill it up as much as possible when doing a change you have nothing to worry about. The other thing you can do (if you can't get oil into the filter) is disconnect the fuel pump and crank the engine until pressure builds on the gauge. This will ensure there is no load on the bearings while they are rotating.
                      1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
                      1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
                      Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

I used to disable the ignition system. Now, oil pressure seems to build so quickly with the better oiling systems that I don't even bother with that anymore.

Comment

For Fiero owners, the AC Delco PF52 (or equivalent) is very popular. It fits both the 4-cyl and V6 engines in our cars.

Comment

Originally posted by 1988GTU View Post
                            The Beretta 2.8s I had were equipped with vertical filter positioning.
                            Originally posted by carbon View Post
                            My 3500 engine came with one of those adapters... I believe it came from a Malibu.
                            Another source for the vertical filter adapter is the '97 - '98 Grand Am 3100. I purchased one today.
                            Ed

Comment

I still have one from a 3500 sitting around if anyone wants it. Just shoot me a pm.
                              Past Builds;
                              1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                              1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                              Current Project;
                              1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Working...
                              X