No announcement yet.

What is the largest camshaft I can run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very true, Ben's cams seem to have a better idle quality than the one I designed. Mine sounded better though. :P
    Past Builds;
    1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
    1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
    Current Project;
    1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

I wasn't talking about our shelf cams
      Links:
      WOT-Tech.com
      FaceBook
      Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
        I wasn't talking about our shelf cams
        Ben doesn't sell shelf cams. (kidding)
        Past Builds;
        Current Project;

Comment

Shelf cams?! Im gonna hop in my pregen and drive down to Florida to have a talk with John:P

I guess there is the "smooth idle" that this guy probably wanted to know, and then there is the "not gonna idle below 1200 RPM no matter what" that I was thinking of as being too far. Lot of cam between those 2 points. I don't know think anyone with a hydraulic roller cam has gone too big for the engine to not idle at 1000 or less.
          Ben
          60DegreeV6.com
          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Yeah that cam I bought from Mars is probably as big as anyone would go without ported heads but it still idles at 900ish with a nice lope.
            '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
            '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Originally posted by caffeine View Post
              Yeah that cam I bought from Mars is probably as big as anyone would go without ported heads but it still idles at 900ish with a nice lope.
              BOOM!
              Links:
              WOT-Tech.com
              FaceBook
              Instagram

Comment

Oh shoot. I though I had a decent cam lol

Sent from my iPhone
                sigpic
                1994 Oldsmobile Cultass Supreme SL
                3400/Getrag 284 5spd
                1995 Chevy K1500 350c.i. 5spd Z71
                350/NV3500 5spd
                2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS

Comment

I had to cut my pistons to clear the exhaust valves with my cam so that's probably farther than the inquirer wants to go based on the fact he refuses to upgrade the converter.
                  '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
                  '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Looks like I dropped in too late, but...

Originally posted by Superdave View Post
                    Wow, you guys are auto Noobs.. lol

Converter stall speed needs to match the peak torque of the engine, with a stock converter probably being 1800-2000 then not much cam.

With a cam that's large enough that it needs to idle higher, you also need to run a higher stall so the car doesn't constantly try to lurch at stoplights. The emailer is correct, it's a bitch to have a lopey cam and a low stall converter.
                    ^ THIS

I'm guessing the stall speed on the stock torque converter (for what car? what engine?) is probably not going to be above 2500 RPM. So a mild performance camshaft (i.e. for midrange torque) should work well with it.

Anyway, I guess it's too late now.

Comment

Life sure looks complicated with an automatic, seems best to just run a stick and have the stall speed any thing you want it to be. Never could understand a performance car with an automatic. Gues it is good for the Wife or your Mother to drive. Larry

Comment

more consistent times at the drag strip is usually why, other tracks like road course are more suited to manual though.
                        Past Builds;
                        Current Project;

Comment

Originally posted by trotterlg View Post
                          Life sure looks complicated with an automatic, seems best to just run a stick and have the stall speed any thing you want it to be. Never could understand a performance car with an automatic. Gues it is good for the Wife or your Mother to drive. Larry
                          It's funny you say that because you can't get a Porsche Turbo S with a "stick" Only an automatic with a torque converter Yes it has manual mode but it doesn't have a clutch pedal.

I use this car as an example because I know someone who just purchased one and he wanted a true manual but when he tried driving one of the autos in manual mode he couldn't even react quick enough due to the power, so never mind having a clutch and shifter to operate.

Got Lope?
                          3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                          Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                          Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                          12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
                            It's funny you say that because you can't get a Porsche Turbo S with a "stick" Only an automatic with a torque converter Yes it has manual mode but it doesn't have a clutch pedal.

I use this car as an example because I know someone who just purchased one and he wanted a true manual but when he tried driving one of the autos in manual mode he couldn't even react quick enough due to the power, so never mind having a clutch and shifter to operate.
                            I don't know why it was, but my first 4T45E tranny really banged the shifts in here, I have a switch to force full line pressure. Then the next two I got did not nearly do as well in that area. But then again, that first one leaked a little tranny oil every time I used the switch, and needed more brake pressure to hold it at a stop.
                            1999 GLS MP90 supercharged / 2003 GL MP62 supercharged / 2004 GLS stock
                            Magnuson MP90 / TOG's / 3 in. Magnaflow exhaust / MSD ignition / LS1 MAF / Racetronix pump / HP Tuners / TCE 68mm TB / 36 lb Inj
                            = Best track time: 12.951 @ 104.48, 1.839 60 ft. (Beech Bend Raceway Park, 11-23-13), 50 Deg. F
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpVYZPbpPzk

Comment

Working...
                            X