Fuel pressure regulator for 3100/3400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel pressure regulator for 3100/3400

Is there a performance fuel pressure regulator made for the 3100/3400 V6? I've heard that I can squeeze a few more horses out of my motor by raising the pressure a little bit. Somebody let me know.
    Thanx
    1994 Chevy Beretta Z26
    CAI
    180 degree thermostat
    high flow muffler
    3400 V6 Throttle Body

sigpic

Fuel pressure regulator for 3100/3400

IMO the only thing a few extra psi of fuel pressure would accomplish is bad fuel economy. Unless there's something wrong with the stock one.
    '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
    '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

nothing wrong with the stock one just thought I could get some more HP out of the motor by increasing the pressure.
      Thanx for the info Caffeine.
      1994 Chevy Beretta Z26
      CAI
      180 degree thermostat
      high flow muffler
      3400 V6 Throttle Body

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by caffeine View Post
        IMO the only thing a few extra psi of fuel pressure would accomplish is bad fuel economy. Unless there's something wrong with the stock one.
        there's no reason it would lower fuel economy if compensated for in the tune, and if the engine needs more fuel, this is a way to get there without replacing injectors.

now that being said, it's not necessary for a CAI and a muffler.
        "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

He made no mention of tuning. It's not uncommon for people to say that increasing fuel pressure increases fueling therefore increasing power. The reality is that increasing fuel without increasing air often results in less power. GM tunes are often too rich to begin with anyway I find.
          '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

He made no mention of tuning. It's not uncommon for people to say that increasing fuel pressure increases fueling therefore increasing power. The reality is that increasing fuel without increasing air often results in less power. GM tunes are often too rich to begin with anyway I find.

Agreed

Put a wideband on it and see what the AFR's are at WOT if you are worried about it being lean. I bet it's not, probably still rich.
            Past Builds;
            1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
            1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
            Current Project;
            1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

I was just playing devil's advocate
              "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

All that will happen if you increase the fuel pressure is that the computer will shorten up the injector pulse to compensate for it and the car will run exactly like it did before. Larry

Comment

You're forgetting that the ECM only adjusts WOT fueling if it detects that the engine is running lean, and also that in open loop it won't adjust fueling either.

The only thing that won't be affected is part/no throttle after the engine is warmed up

Since increased fuel pressure will only lead to a richer fuel mixture, that means that under WOT fueling WILL be increased regardless of how much the computer has learned.
                  '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

yeah, i don't see the effort/money being spent on an adjustable regulator being of much use.

if you want the (slightly) better atomization due to higher pressure, the 00+ unit could be used, but as mentioned, there are problems associated with it if the calibration isn't changed to match reality.
                    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                    Latest nAst1 files here!
                    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by ericjon262 View Post
                      there's no reason it would lower fuel economy if compensated for in the tune, and if the engine needs more fuel, this is a way to get there without replacing injectors.

now that being said, it's not necessary for a CAI and a muffler.
                      I only put the CAI on there for more air flow and it helped my motor a lot and the muffler just makes it sound good and freed up a few horses.
                      1994 Chevy Beretta Z26
                      CAI
                      180 degree thermostat
                      high flow muffler
                      3400 V6 Throttle Body

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X