3.5 lx9 engine questions please help with ecm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.5 lx9 engine questions please help with ecm

so long story short. sand rail with vw based manual trans, im ordering the adapter plate to mate them. the motor is a 2005 but i was told i cant not get the 2005 ecm reprogrammed so i bought a 2006 harness and ecm. well i kinda would like to change it again ive yet to ever get it running and owned this project for nearly 5 years but im getting close. the question is there a ecm that i can have programmed to run this motor that will make it throttle by cable instead of throttle by wire? id like to use all the oe sensors no external crank triggers. direct email is chevyshortbed@gmail.com

Maybe megasquirt? That's the only option that I can think of. And I have yet to find a thread where someone actually got the engine running properly on megasquirt with the stock crank sensor.
    '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
    '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

JonPro did i think 2 years ago, but i want to say he had sync-loss issues above a certain RPM, the MS would just completely miss an entire revolution.
      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
      Latest nAst1 files here!
      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Yes I remember his threads but I could never find any info suggesting he fixed the problem. So if anyone tried to use Megasquirt with the stock sensor it may work now but there are no garunteed. However megasquirt can still work with a 7x external trigger if one decided to try the stock sensor first and it didn't work out.
        '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

I looked up his youtube account... he was loosing synch over 5000 and he eventually went back to the 7x in a later video...
          sigpic

"When you don't do anything, you have plenty of time to post questions that don't mean anything tomorrow."
          - Ben

Comment

I am using MS and am running it on a 36-1 wheel mounted to the inner ring of my damper and have no problem to over 7000 RPM. I did not try it on the stock setup so do not know how it would work.

Comment

Been doing research today... the LS1 24x wheel loosing synch seems to be a rather easy problem to have and can be tricky to correct, but Jonpro03 was THE first one to use it with the LX9, he was working with James Cortina from the MSExtra project to get the code in the system. Things look a little more documented and solid since Jon did his work 3-4 years ago.

I have the external TCE 7x setup, but I would rather use the internal wheel as well.
              sigpic

"When you don't do anything, you have plenty of time to post questions that don't mean anything tomorrow."
              - Ben

Comment

You can always buy the internal trigger from britishcarconversions and it should look like stock
                '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

From the 'for what its worth' dept:
                  We have a swapped-in LX9 engine mated to a 282; we got an ECM out of an '02 Venture van and got Ryan to reflash; so it now 'thinks' it is out of an '00 manual grand am....; we deleted a lot of stuff, which you prob would do too, but it runs great. The only hiccup we have is we didn't get a good 5V reference to the IAT (I think it was) so we had to fiddle with one of the 'plugs' in to the ECM to find an unused 5V. We used that instead, but we still get the error on startup. I think the ECM does its own internal check first and as soon as it detects that the 'proper' wire/pin for the IAT 5V isn't 'giving' 5V, then it throws a code. Not sure but that is what it looks like....
                  we had to remove the internal crank trigger ring and put on the one from BCC; it is easy, just follow the steps religiously... and put another pickup behind the harmonic balancer; used the older ignition coils and a TB from one of my old 3.4dohc motors (to avoid the drive by wire). Not much else; it starts and runs great; you will have a returnless fuel line to the fuel rail so plan for that if you haven't...
                  email me if you have questions; will help if I can.

Comment

Originally posted by caffeine View Post
                    Maybe megasquirt? That's the only option that I can think of. And I have yet to find a thread where someone actually got the engine running properly on megasquirt with the stock crank sensor.
                    I have yet to see any reliable use of the OEM LX9 type crank trigger wheel with anything other than the stock ECM. An external trigger wheel should not be an issue. It could be made small enough that it is the same size or only slightly bigger than the harmonic damper, if you're worried about objets hitting it and or damaging it.

You can always buy the internal trigger from britishcarconversions and it should look like stock
                    I keep forgetting about that ring. To me it's a lot of work just to have it internal, but if the need is there, then it's a good option.

Originally posted by 85-308 View Post
                    From the 'for what its worth' dept:
                    We have a swapped-in LX9 engine mated to a 282; we got an ECM out of an '02 Venture van and got Ryan to reflash; so it now 'thinks' it is out of an '00 manual grand am....; we deleted a lot of stuff, which you prob would do too, but it runs great. The only hiccup we have is we didn't get a good 5V reference to the IAT (I think it was) so we had to fiddle with one of the 'plugs' in to the ECM to find an unused 5V. We used that instead, but we still get the error on startup. I think the ECM does its own internal check first and as soon as it detects that the 'proper' wire/pin for the IAT 5V isn't 'giving' 5V, then it throws a code. Not sure but that is what it looks like....
                    we had to remove the internal crank trigger ring and put on the one from BCC; it is easy, just follow the steps religiously... and put another pickup behind the harmonic balancer; used the older ignition coils and a TB from one of my old 3.4dohc motors (to avoid the drive by wire). Not much else; it starts and runs great; you will have a returnless fuel line to the fuel rail so plan for that if you haven't...
                    email me if you have questions; will help if I can.
                    I'm pretty sure that it has not changed between the older OBD1 systems and the OBD2 systems, and on the OBD1 systems, the IAT/MAT use a ground on one side and the signal then goes to the ECM. You might want to check that you are talking about the correct sensor and that your wiring is indeed correct for it.

Comment

Originally posted by carbon View Post
                      I looked up his youtube account... he was loosing synch over 5000 and he eventually went back to the 7x in a later video...
                      I did fix it, eventually. Just a code modification, which is the code uploaded to the MS2 article.

1990 ASC/McLaren Turbo Grand Prix 3500 swap GT3076R turbo 40lb/hr injectors FMIC LX9 coils Megasquirt2 v3.0

Comment

The stock trigger looks identical to an ls1 58x trigger so there's probably quite a few standalones out there that could handle it. Just the other week I setup a Link G3 ECU on an EG33 flat-6 with the stock odd-ball 12x trigger and it works pretty well.
                        '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

The stock trigger looks identical to an ls1 58x trigger so there's probably quite a few standalones out there that could handle it. Just the other week I setup a Link G3 ECU on an EG33 flat-6 with the stock odd-ball 12x trigger and it works pretty well.
                          It is indeed identical to the ls1 trigger

1990 ASC/McLaren Turbo Grand Prix 3500 swap GT3076R turbo 40lb/hr injectors FMIC LX9 coils Megasquirt2 v3.0

Comment

Originally posted by Jonpro03 View Post
                            I did fix it, eventually. Just a code modification, which is the code uploaded to the MS2 article.
                            sigpic

- Ben

Comment

Working...
                            X