Camshaft for torque increase? Options? Need 30ftlb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camshaft for torque increase? Options? Need 30ftlb

I have a stock 3400 LNJ. It produces 185 hp (138 kW) and 210 lb·ft (285 N·m).

My transmission is an Aisin AF33 that has a gearbox limit of 243 ft·lbf (329 N·m) of torque.

I have been considering a few options to get a torque/HP increase. I would have loved to supercharge my 3400 but I cant afford a new tranny. Looks like a 30hp/torque increase will have to suffice. I have considered porting/polishing my heads or a 3500 head swap.

Finally after looking at WOT-Tech and seeing other 3400 modifications I am thinking of getting a more aggressive cam, but none of them seem compatible with the LNJ, is this true? While I was at it I may get custom push rods and valves, along with better springs.

Can I keep a stock obdII ECU with a camshaft change? If not forget it. Thanks for the help everyone.

You will need better springs with any performance cam. The LNJ is the same as an LA1 as far as the cam is concerned, so any of our cams will work.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

How similar are the LA1 specs? I have a 3400 LA1 parked in the driveway in my '03 rendezvous. If I replace the cam in my '05 nox I want to replace my pushrods with custom, maybe valves and maybe a new timing set. I want to do the job right and follow LNJ specifications, what is the difference?

All help is appreciated! I would love to do this job and do it right.

Comment

Identical. LA1 valvetrain is the same stuff as LNJ.
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Computer adjustments are NOT necessary with a new camshaft (so I have been told)? Basically I am looking for help to properly remove my old camshaft and install the new one. While I have the engine open are there any other parts I should consider replacing? Valves? Lifters? Head gasket? (my previous engine had a had gasket issue, among other things, leading to a tick, then blowing 6 months later despite all my efforts, hense my newer engine, that I have been treating very very well so I can do something like this).

If somebody has anything even close to a step-by-step guide it would mean the world. I guess this would be my first "engine job". I have a torque wrench and angle gauge for the cylinder head bolts.
          Are there any other parts besides the cylinder head bolts I should consider replacing while I am at it? Head gasket? Valves? Lifters? (hydraulic, switch to anything else??), new timing chain? (and ofcourse new Comp Cams 26986 Valve Springs)

I am not trying to push crazy power out of the engine, I am purchasing the torque/MPG cam to help move the extra weight of my equinox. This is all for a learning experience. The fact that I can do it for $500-$600 is more appealing then trying to piece all of the parts together for a 3500 swap and have random parts and adapters.

If anybody has a better idea to get 20-30lbs of torque that is easier then a camshaft swap, I am all for it. I figure a camshaft swap is a nice step-by-step guide towards getting to know the inside of my engine, because I love every other bit of my car.

NOTE: this is my daily driver, so I need to do the job right. I will post pics and keep you updated, I need some input before I move forward with the job. All help appreciated
          Last edited by beigmatt; 08-06-2014, 01:22 AM.

Comment

You can run a stock PCM tune on cams that WOT-TECH sells, but tuning the computer is always ideal as they are set conservative from the factory for warranty and emissions purposes.
            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
            91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
            92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
            94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
            Originally posted by Jay Leno
            Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

what is set conservative?
              Ben
              60DegreeV6.com
              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

The stock tune as far as power because they have a generic tune for each car and don't tune each on individually.
                -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

As far as power goes, what did they detune from the factory? I had no idea you were into tuning OBD2 cars.
                  Ben
                  60DegreeV6.com
                  WOT-Tech.com

Comment

So what you are saying is if you tune a stock car you can't gain anything? That's what I mean about conservative.

Whatever...
                    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
                      So what you are saying is if you tune a stock car you can't gain anything?
                      Exactly what I am saying

That's what I mean about conservative.
                      No its not.

Whatever...
                      I want to witness this attitude in person.
                      Ben
                      60DegreeV6.com
                      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Youll need tuning no matter what camshaft you put in your car.
                        sigpic
                        1994 Oldsmobile Cultass Supreme SL
                        3400/Getrag 284 5spd
                        1995 Chevy K1500 350c.i. 5spd Z71
                        350/NV3500 5spd
                        2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS

Comment

Originally posted by 19Cutlass94 View Post
                          Youll need tuning no matter what camshaft you put in your car.
                          why?
                          Ben
                          60DegreeV6.com
                          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

haha well I suppose techncially you dont have to... but itll run much better lol
                            sigpic
                            1994 Oldsmobile Cultass Supreme SL
                            3400/Getrag 284 5spd
                            1995 Chevy K1500 350c.i. 5spd Z71
                            350/NV3500 5spd
                            2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS

Comment

My 3500 with torque/mpg cam ran pretty good with the stock tune with 0 KR.
                              Very smooth idle with good off the line to mid rpm power, top end still feels about stock.
                              2000 Grand Am GT
                              2011 Chevy Impala

"The world's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog. But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam, and that engine will still make great power." ~John Lingenfelter

Comment

Working...
                              X