No announcement yet.

3900 versions and configurations for swap use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the 3100/3400 used a mount bolted directly to the bottom of the cast aluminum oil pan, im sure the 3900 is similar.

Comment

Have any pics?
      Current:
      \'87 Fiero GT: 12.86@106 - too dam many valves; ran 12.94 @ 112 on new engine, then broke a CV joint
      \'88 Fiero Formula: slow and attention getting; LZ8 followed by LLT power forthcoming
      \'88 BMW 325iX: The penultimate driving machine awaiting a heart transplant

Gone, mostly forgotten:
      \'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: slow but invisible

Comment

Originally posted by sharkey View Post
        the 3100/3400 used a mount bolted directly to the bottom of the cast aluminum oil pan, im sure the 3900 is similar.
        The 3900 is similar in that regard to the 3100/3400, but does not have the same on block provisions that the Fiero mount pictured uses.

Comment

Originally posted by Will'sFiero View Post
          Have any pics?
          I have an LZ4 at the shop, which I'll try to remember to take a picture of, I just remembered I have that one. LOL My LZ9 is at the machine shop currently, so I can't get any pictures of it right now, but they are the same block.

Comment

Cool. Thanks!

If the hole in the front of the block is present, but not in quite the same place, I can modify the bracket to work. If the hole on the side of the block is gone, I'll have to think of another way to stabilize the bracket. The '88 brackets are thinner than the early brackets and already occasionally have problems cracking.

I saw from Joseph Upson's thread that the holes on the opposite side of the block are still there, so that's good.

It may make more sense just to fab a bracket that connects the mount holes on the pan to the Fiero engine mount.
            Current:
            \'87 Fiero GT: 12.86@106 - too dam many valves; ran 12.94 @ 112 on new engine, then broke a CV joint
            \'88 Fiero Formula: slow and attention getting; LZ8 followed by LLT power forthcoming

Gone, mostly forgotten:

Comment

The holes in the other side of the block are in a different location than the gen1 2.8. IIRC two of the holes are the right location but the bolt bosses are actually taller, putting that mounting point farther out from the center line.

You'll probably be better off making a new bracket, or utilizing the gen3+ mount that attaches to the oil pan.

LZ9Ref01.jpg

LZ9Ref02.jpg

LZ9Ref03.jpg

Comment

Awesome. Thanks!
                Current:

Gone, mostly forgotten:

Comment

The Shaun inspired me with this: http://www.realfierotech.com/viewtop...156968#p156968

So I looked up the PN for the OE engine mount bracket that goes with the LZ4/LZ9 (and LX9?) oil pan.
                  Here it is:

It *LOOKS LIKE* it might just drop onto the stock Fiero mount with little to no modification. I don't know if it would place the engine higher or lower than the original Fiero bracket/location, though. I guess I'll have to quick jaw jacking and find out.

Current:

Gone, mostly forgotten:

Comment

Originally posted by Will'sFiero View Post
                    The Shaun inspired me with this: http://www.realfierotech.com/viewtop...156968#p156968

So I looked up the PN for the OE engine mount bracket that goes with the LZ4/LZ9 (and LX9?) oil pan.
                    Here it is:

It *LOOKS LIKE* it might just drop onto the stock Fiero mount with little to no modification. I don't know if it would place the engine higher or lower than the original Fiero bracket/location, though. I guess I'll have to quick jaw jacking and find out.
                    I did a little more follow up on the mount bracket.

The Buick Rendezvous was available with both the High Value and High Feature V6's in the same year. Both engines used the same rubber mount. The 10216970 bracket shown before is for the pushrod, but there are two different versions of the bracket for the 3.6: 10334474 & 10331334. I have one of each on the way for investigation. Depending on how difficult these are to adapt to the Fiero cradle, this could be a nearly bolt-in swap for a high feature V6.

10216970 2005-2007 3.4/3.5
                    10334474 2005-2006 AWD 3.6
                    10331334 2004 AWD 3.6
                    Current:

Gone, mostly forgotten:

Comment

Working...
                    X