Composite head gasket VS multi layer steel for boo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Composite head gasket VS multi layer steel for boo

So I recently got head gaskets for my 3.4/3.5 hybrid. These gaskets are a composite type and I have read a few things about these gaskets not holding up under boost. Granted I'll only be running 15lbs at most. So what I'm wondering is what would you guys suggest for my application?

I just got Cometic MLS gaskets for mine. I didn't want to bother with tearing it back down again if the Fel-Pro fails.

Comment

I'm running 3500 graphite gaskets, they're supposedly tough as nails.
      "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Any experiences?

Comment

well, no failures yet if that's what you mean... but the car hasn't been run long either.
          "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Oh ok!

Comment

IIRC, Mars went 11.13 in his Camaro on them...

Comment

Ok, I'm fine with using them if they work. I got them for a great price that's why I have them. I usually use cometic.

Comment

Originally posted by tubov6cav View Post
                  Ok, I'm fine with using them if they work. I got them for a great price that's why I have them. I usually use cometic.
                  the gaskets you have pictured above are not the graphites. the graphites are a GM part, not felpro.

Comment

Oh ok I see where you said that now. Haha sorry

Comment

Stock 3500 graphite gaskets are good to a little over 11psi with stock head bolts. Will probably hold more with head studs. When I ran 14 psi I blew both head gaskets after a few months of driving.
                      '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
                      '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Ok then I should probably go with the MLS.

Comment

You're supposed to have the block and heads resurfaced finer than stock if you go MLS.
                          '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
                          '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Yeah I know, they will be.

Comment

I am running the MLS gaskets from Ben in my 3.4 at 16 lbs boost, no problems so far

Comment

Working...
                              X