Engine swap & smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine swap & smoke

Long time no post, sorry. Anyways, been busy swapping trannies and getting the VR ready for the Daytona Turkey Run (anyone wanna join me? I have 3 extra parking passes) .
    Anyway, since so many parts are new, I'm thinking of swapping out the motor. So what's the biggest/ most powerful motor I can order from advance auto parts? Also it has to bolt in with absolutely no wiring/ ecm mods/ changes. Same for the fuel system.
    Next, I've got people wanting a burn out after Daytona. So what's the best recipe for some smokey tracks? Rubbing alcohol & water? Castor oil? Already have some 15" tires to kill, just need to know what to make em boil....
    Tuning a car is full of compromises. You must decide if you are willing to give up either reliability, performance, or a whole load of cash. Also remember that repairs will seem to come up much more often as you strive for even more performance

Do not buy anything from Advance Auto. Pure Mexico. With your list the only thing you can get is a 3.1L.
    Bleach is the best for burn outs. I don't agree with the strain that this will put on everything though.
    95 Beretta 3100 with 3400 intakes and TCE TB
    High flow cat and a Magnaflow muffler
    Grand Prix trans with 3.33FDR

Comment

Well, I've had an advance commercial account for nearly a decade without any major problems. They gave me an account without all the bs paperwork. Even got a new manual tranny for our Aerostar last year and it's held up to some rough driving and blasts through the forest.
      Should the bleach be mixed with water? What ratio?
      Since everything except the motor is brand new so 1 burn out shouldn't hurt anything. Besides isn't that what warranties are for?
      Tuning a car is full of compromises. You must decide if you are willing to give up either reliability, performance, or a whole load of cash. Also remember that repairs will seem to come up much more often as you strive for even more performance

Comment

Little bit of a late reply, but... A 3.1 MFI will drop right back in, the stock wiring harness will clip right in to all the sensors, and the computer will run it. The only thing I can think of that would be an issue is the EGR valve. The 2.8 used a vacuum-actuated valve, while the 3.1 had an electronic one. Make sure you swap that over. If you live somewhere that has visual inspections, you should also swap over your 2.8 upper intake manifold. With that on there, the only way to know for sure that you don't have a stock engine is to pull the oil pan and look at the crank.
        Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 213-SFI. 250k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!

Comment

What vehicle is this?

If it's an X11, then you would be limited to the 3.1 from the early '90's Transport minivan, since both are iron head engines.

If it's the Celebrity in your profile, you could use any other gen2 3.1 found in 1989 to 1994 vehicles, though there was some over lap of the 2.8 in 1989, and the gen3 3100 in the '92 to '94 vehicles.

Comment

Very late to me own post. Yes, I am X11_ste just been having trouble getting in here so got a new id. The car in question is a 1987 Celebrity 2.8 VR. Because of its rarity, I would like more power yet be able to go back to bone stock if the whim strikes me.....

AuSSenseiter

Comment

With a VR, I definitely recommend going with a 3.1 MFI. As I said above, if you swap the 2.8 EGR and upper intake, no one will be able to tell the difference.

Sent from my SGH-T399N using Tapatalk
              Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 213-SFI. 250k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!

Comment

Working...
              X