Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 3.4L

Hey Guys,

I'm beginning the rebuild on a 3.4L V6 out of a '95 Camaro. It will eventually be squeezed into an MG.

I'm looking at some performance parts and what I'm seeing is some of them listed for the 3.4L 79-94 engines (mainly on COMP cams). Does the 1995 model year with a 3.4L engine get included in this date range? I assume it did, but I don't want to buy a bunch or parts and then be SOL.

Thanks!

Yoni.

the RWD 3.4 is still a gen1 engine, so it does still apply. the only real issue is if you plan to maintain SFI injection since I don't believe any of those cams have a cam reluctor wheel on them.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I will be using the stock fuel injection system. So using these camshafts would cause some issue with the timing then? Becuase looking up parts data on rockauto shows me that there is only one camshaft from 85-95, and that you're correct, it seems to be the exact same engine. Maybe I'll give Comp cams a call when its time to buy.

Thanks!
      Last edited by studmn69; 05-29-2015, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Call COMP and ask. Call some others too. The cam position sensor is a single trigger that just tells the ECM which half of the cycle the pistons are on. This way it knows which half gets fuel and which don't. If you want you could always convert to batch fire injection which works just as good but can use any camshaft out there.
        1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
        1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
        Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

The 3.4 PCM will still apparently run in SFI mode if the 24x sensor is still working.
          '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
          '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

It can't if it does not know the cam position. It won't know if the pistons are on the intake or power stroke all that will be known by the crank sensor is if a particular piston is moving down based on crank degrees

Comment

Just going by what Alldata says. It says it will run in SFI mode but it will be less accurate. I'm assuming it will just guess the cam position and fire the injectors individually. If it guesses wrong, it would probably behave like it's in batch fire mode
              '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

It might but I am sure the light will be on.

Comment

Originally posted by geoffinbc View Post
                  Thanks a lot guys. I obviously have a BUNCH to learn about EFI. Anyone have a favorite reference?

Glad to know that I could change the settings and still use it. I do want to add some performance parts for this rebuild.

Best,
                  Yoni.

Comment

Originally posted by geoffinbc View Post
                    Oh certainly. But you can easily disable the cam sensor code.
                    '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Was the 95 Camaro ECM the funky OBD 1.5 unit? I know some were and some were true OBD I until OBD II came out in 96. All TBI cars and trucks for example were OBD I until the CSFI system came out in the Votrec trucks engines.

Comment

The 95 Camaro ECM is almost the same as the 94-95 LT1 PCM but can't use a MAF sensor. You use an OBDI cable and it's flash tuned
                        '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Ok, sounds like there weren't too many differences. They also list the rockers and pushrods for up to '94 models, which I assume is because of the same issue. I will call the comp cams prior to ordering.

Thanks.

Comment

Rockers and pushrods are fine. They are the same on all iron head motors.

Comment

Working...
                            X