options with my 3.1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• options with my 3.1?

Hello I have a 1986 fiero that the previous owner put a 3.1 gen 1 motor in. the motor is running ok, but leaking all over the place. I really wana do a 3.4 (1995 camaro engine) in this vehicle. But here is my question?

I know the 2.8 was a supposed h.o. motor. and the 3.1 is a stroked 2.8. same block I assume. but the 3.4 is a stroked and bored 2.8.

does that mean they share the same block. Instead of dropping 250-300 on a questionable engine that will need a rebuild anyway. can a person just bore the 3.1 that I already have out and get close to 3.4 or larger. and just put that same 250 or 300 into what I have?

or is the 3.4 indeed (camaro engine, not other 3.4) the same block.

I know the heads are the big problem with this motor for power but just wana freshen it up and make a bit more power if I can.

The 3.4 block is it's own block. The casting was changed to accommodate the larger cylinders. It's not recommended to bore a 2.8 or 3.1 block to the 3.4 bore.

I would seriously consider going gen3 (3400 specifically), since it has so many improvements over the gen1 design, they are cheap and they are plentiful. In my area the 3400 is FAR easier to find than a Camaro 3.4. In the last decade I think I've only come across 4 3.4s in the wrecking yards, and 3 of them in the last 3 months.

Comment

Down where I am, 3400's are scarce, but 3100 and 3500 are common as dirt...3.4L blocks litter the earth and 3.1L blocks are everywhere. Very few 3400 or 2.8L blocks left.

Comment

Originally posted by Xnke View Post
        Down where I am, 3400's are scarce, but 3100 and 3500 are common as dirt...3.4L blocks litter the earth and 3.1L blocks are everywhere. Very few 3400 or 2.8L blocks left.
        up here you cannot find a 3.4 pushrod block to save your ass. maybee you should collect them and sell them if they are that popular down there. ill be your first customer.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Raven View Post
          The 3.4 block is it's own block. The casting was changed to accommodate the larger cylinders. It's not recommended to bore a 2.8 or 3.1 block to the 3.4 bore.

I would seriously consider going gen3 (3400 specifically), since it has so many improvements over the gen1 design, they are cheap and they are plentiful. In my area the 3400 is FAR easier to find than a Camaro 3.4. In the last decade I think I've only come across 4 3.4s in the wrecking yards, and 3 of them in the last 3 months.

can I run a 3400 block with 2.8/3.4 heads so I can use the fiero intake and electronics?

or can I run the fiero intake (i know not a great performer) with the aluminum heads on the 3400?

Comment

Originally posted by 90turbo1 View Post
            can I run a 3400 block with 2.8/3.4 heads so I can use the fiero intake and electronics?
            You can, but the static compression ratio will be in the mid 7's to low 8's IIRC, due to the size of the dish on the piston. I know there has been one Fiero owner do this, but it's not what I would do at all.

or can I run the fiero intake (i know not a great performer) with the aluminum heads on the 3400?
            Not at all. the intake flanges are so very different that they do not even come close to lining up.

Why do you want to limit yourself on power by using the worst parts of the gen1 engine? Displacement increases alone do not net as large of an increase in potential power out as much as better flowing intake and exhaust tracts. Yes, using the complete 3400 would require the use of a different ECM (1227730 swaps are pretty popular in the Fiero crowd anyway), but it will net you close to 200 HP and a bit more in torque IIRC, especially once it's tuned for your application, which I have seen a few go over 200 HP with a good tune.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Raven View Post
              You can, but the static compression ratio will be in the mid 7's to low 8's IIRC, due to the size of the dish on the piston. I know there has been one Fiero owner do this, but it's not what I would do at all.

Not at all. the intake flanges are so very different that they do not even come close to lining up.

Why do you want to limit yourself on power by using the worst parts of the gen1 engine? Displacement increases alone do not net as large of an increase in potential power out as much as better flowing intake and exhaust tracts. Yes, using the complete 3400 would require the use of a different ECM (1227730 swaps are pretty popular in the Fiero crowd anyway), but it will net you close to 200 HP and a bit more in torque IIRC, especially once it's tuned for your application, which I have seen a few go over 200 HP with a good tune.
              ok, i was just asking. I like the look of the fiero intake and such on the fiero thats why I wana keep it. but like you said it was some of the worst parts produced.

the 3400 is looking better to me i think more and more.

Comment

Hang the fiero intake on the wall if you like the way it looks. Lou Dias on PFF is the goof that is running a retarded hybrid, 3400 block with GEN 1 top end. Claims it netted 187hp and could go higher but has not produced real data, just bullshit. It made good torque though, for about 1000rpm but took a nose dive. A 3400 is a great beginner swap, Masospegetti and Joseph Upson have LX9's and LZ1's, respectively. Lots of others in between that can help.
                '86 Grand National

Comment

Working...
                X