Input needed on an oddball carb setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Input needed on an oddball carb setup

For those who do not remember (which I assume is about everyone) I am going to be building a small late '40s track car inspired hot rod using a lot of T-Bucket style components, and an '89 Camaro 2.8 Iron Head and a 700R4 supplying the go-power. Here is where everything takes a turn into the Absurdity Zone. This is not going to be a performance vehicle...just a light weight fun little cruiser. It is also a very low budget build. The modern computer controlled MPFI engine will be converted to old skool engine...no computer, fuel injection, electronic ignition, or spaghetti nightmare of hoses and wiring. Simplicity and reliability are the primary objectives...and very loosely plausible appearance for the late '40s time period is a plus. Toward that end I already have an Edelbrock 4bbl manifold, Mallory dual point ignition...and I plan on either zoomie or lakester style headers. Notably absent from all of that is carburation.

The Edelbrock recommended unit is the Holley 390 cfm 4bbl...which seems to me to be overkill for this little V6, and is definitely a budget buster. Plan B is to go with a simple 2bbl on an adapter plate. If it were not for the need of TV cable linkage, I'd go with a Motorcraft 2100/2150...simple, reliable, and cheap. Bowtie Overdrives has a TV cable solution for the Rochester 2G. Also, I found a Youtube video of an Iron Head running on a 2G, and it sounded pretty good...no noticeable loading up and seemingly good smooth throttle response. So, until today the 2G has been my planed on carb.

Today I picked up what may or may not be another option. For less than the shipping cost for a rebuilt 2G, I got a NOS still in box Holley Economaster 2bbl from the early '70s, that was supposed to be a replacement for a 2G. I know it's a long shot, but has anyone ever heard of one of these things on an Iron Head? Or any experience on how hard they were to get and keep dialed in?

I'd just go with the Holley, 390 should be fine. Just pick up a jet kit and a pump cam kit and dial it in.

Little pricey (If you buy it new) but really not too bad to rebuild if you can find a used one for around $100.
    Past Builds;
    1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
    1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
    Current Project;
    1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

I've been looking for over a year, and I've yet to find a Holley 390 for anywhere near $100. Then there is my lack of experience doing the work necessary to rework a 390...my carb work history is with British SU carbs, and that was 35+ years ago. To top all that off, medical issues have progressed to the point that I now have loss of feeling and dexterity issues with my hands.

My eventual carb solution will have to be a rebuilt, or something I can get rebuilt for a reasonable cost. I picked up this Economaster because it's a bolt in replacement for a 2G, and it was dirt cheap. It's going to be quite a while before I can give it or any carb a trial, so I can continue searching for a better alternative. But it would be cool if the Economaster would turn out to be workable.

Comment

why dont you try to find a carb and intake off a carbed s10. they should be pretty cheap at the junk yards. and will kill 2 birds 1 stone. no need for adaptors to go from 2 to 4 bbl. and so on.
        01 olds shilluette 3400/4T65-E stock for now

Comment

Working...
        X