Porting intakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porting intakes

I have an 08 lz4 in my saturn and i was wondering if anyone had any insight on porting the intakes on this motor. Nobody seems to be playing with the lz4 to much but i might just be me. I cleaned up the casting on the throttle body and the intake and it helped after 3,000 rpm. I want to give a good porting on the one that came off the car. Trying to get as much power as i can without breaking to deep into the motor. I am also going to find a set of exhaust manifold and do some work with them. Thanks for any advice in advance.
    2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5
    Engine: Crab intake with front pipe upgrade, wams tune, taylor wires, mildly ported upper intake plenum and throtte body.
    Suspension: H & R lowering springs on kyb struts.
    Brakes: 08 Saab 9-5 front rotors and pads.

I cut alot out of mine but have no idea if it helped. I gasket matched the upper and ported the lower down as far as I could reach. The way I see it is that it can't hurt anything. Cannot comment on if it helped at all though as I have a turbo LZ9 but I use an LZ4 upper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    11.92 @ 122 MPH 3400 91 Cavalier Z24 Intercooled S/C. -totalled-
    10.56 @ 130 MPH 3900 LZ9 87 IROC Z28 Intercooled GT4088 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by Mars View Post
      I cut alot out of mine but have no idea if it helped. I gasket matched the upper and ported the lower down as far as I could reach. The way I see it is that it can't hurt anything. Cannot comment on if it helped at all though as I have a turbo LZ9 but I use an LZ4 upper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I might have to test a stock LZ9 upper a modified LZ9 upper and my stock LZ4 uppers to see if there's much difference between them, when I get my LZ9 together.

Comment

Testing on a flow bench is required to determine if certain mods on an intake are beneficial but one thing that all manifolds need is a good port matching job.Using gaskets as a template to scribe lines to match intake and head ports is a good place to start.Grinding casting lines,sharp corners etc will help flow. Can't be more specific without seeing heads and intake manifold.

Comment

I would find an extra lower, and port the lower where it mates to the upper intake. quite a bit of material can be removed. will you notice the power? prob not. If you gain 1 hp per cylinder from it, its not enough to make any real difference but efficiency will improve.

IMG_0266.JPG

Comment

Don't port the lower to head port, or the intake port on the heads. The rest would need a dyno to convince me of the value.
            Ben
            60DegreeV6.com
            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Porting the lower intake manifold brought my combined head+intake flow up from 185 to 214CFM at 0.500" lift and 28"WC. Without the intake manifold, the port was at 234CFM with a 1/2" radius inlet, but was unstable and howled loudly. With the unported LX9 intake, flow dropped to 185CFM, but the howl went away. The majority of the work as at the upper-to-lower gasket face, on the inside of the turn and roof of the lower intake manifold. Once that, and some work around the fuel injector boss was done, flow came up to 214CFM and the port remained stable, I called it a day and screwed it together.

Porting the lower can have a very positive impact, but it has to be done while it's bolted up to the head-you need to know what the whole package is doing, not just the intake alone.

Comment

Working...
              X