Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N/A build

Hello guys I am building a 2000 3400 to go in my 90 Cavalier Z24
    I'm not looking for huge h/p numbers just a nice running engine.
    I would like to bore it .030 over and do cam (would like a lope but not required)
    Ill probably do some porting on the intake and maybe install a 3500 upper.

Is there anything I should do while I have it apart?
    Whats a good cam that I can retain roller lifters with?
    Last edited by t-scene; 07-19-2016, 04:53 PM.

Hello,

I swapped a 3400 in place of a 2.8L with no other mods other than new intake gaskets. It's a really nice increase in power. I bought the canned tune from WOT-tech and it worked great pretty much out of the box (had to change a VSS value, very minor).

I then went to a 3500 with a cam and some porting. It never quite ran right and I've even considered going back to the 3400. I'll make one more go at it after getting the thing back together (coolant hose disaster) but tuning the 7730 requires a fair amount of time/patience if you haven't done it. A local tuner would be a huge help. WOT-tech sells roller cam grinds in a variety of aggression levels.

Why do you want to bore it over? The cost of the machine work and new pistons doesn't seem worth it to me.

Good luck!

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by neophile_17 View Post
      Hello,

I swapped a 3400 in place of a 2.8L with no other mods other than new intake gaskets. It's a really nice increase in power. I bought the canned tune from WOT-tech and it worked great pretty much out of the box (had to change a VSS value, very minor).

I then went to a 3500 with a cam and some porting. It never quite ran right and I've even considered going back to the 3400. I'll make one more go at it after getting the thing back together (coolant hose disaster) but tuning the 7730 requires a fair amount of time/patience if you haven't done it. A local tuner would be a huge help. WOT-tech sells roller cam grinds in a variety of aggression levels.

Why do you want to bore it over? The cost of the machine work and new pistons doesn't seem worth it to me.

Good luck!

Sam
      The reason I considered boring it is its got 170K miles on it. I figured it could use a good refresh. The cylinder wall aren't prefect its had recent head gaskets but looks like the coolant has made a few spots on the walls. (nothing a good hone wouldn't take out)

Comment

The LZ4 I have on the engine stand now has about that many miles and the cross hatch pattern from the factory is visible. Many old hot rod motors would wear much faster necessitating an overbore. If you can get by without it I would pocket the money for other parts. The only way to be sure is to hone the water marks out and measure it.

Comment

Bore it just enough to clean up the walls, you aren't going to gain much if any power with overbore alone.

WOT is the best source for cams, be honest with yourself on the use of the car and you should be fine. He does sell Thumper cams as well if you are more interested in sound.

I doubt Ben is going to sell a chip for a cammed engine so you'd be better off buying a Moates AutoProm and doing the tuning yourself.

Most important, have fun with it!
          Past Builds;
          1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
          1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
          Current Project;
          1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by Superdave View Post
            Bore it just enough to clean up the walls, you aren't going to gain much if any power with overbore alone.

WOT is the best source for cams, be honest with yourself on the use of the car and you should be fine. He does sell Thumper cams as well if you are more interested in sound.

I doubt Ben is going to sell a chip for a cammed engine so you'd be better off buying a Moates AutoProm and doing the tuning yourself.

Most important, have fun with it!
            Awesome info Dave! I didn't know that AutoProm existed.
            Where could I get a base tune to start with?
            Do you know if all of the cams WOT sells for the 3400 are roller cams? (I have tried to contact them but haven't got a reply yet.)

Comment

They may sell a couple non-rollers for the gen 1. If it's <$300 it's probably not a roller.

Comment

If I were to bore a 3400 I would go big as I can get off the shelf pistons for, 3400 are cheep and you can usually get them with the rest of the car for under $500
                1999 Olds Alero 2.4 to 3500 swap (running). totaled by a honda
                1992 lumina 4 door 3500 3spd auto 15.020 @93.5 mph
                1984 Cavalier type 10 hatch 3100 5spd!!!
                14.96@91.47 in the 1/4
                9.63@74.36 in the 1/8th
                14.30 on slicks! scrapped due to rust!

Comment

Working...
                X