Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ZZP 3800 series 2 downpipe made to fit 3.9 LZ9?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZZP 3800 series 2 downpipe made to fit 3.9 LZ9?

Hey guys I'm sure this a pretty basic and goofy question for you GM guys but Will at Overkill (GM tuner) encouraged me to get a larger downpipe for my LZ9.

I know they're different engine families but any idea if a downpipe made for the 3.8 series II would be a close fit with little modification to the inlet/inlet flange?

I'm outside Memphis and none of the local muffler shops do mandrel bending and the few 'performance' shops in Memphis are too busy or dumbfounded as to why I even want a little 2.5" downpipe lol.

And I saw a ZZP 2.5" high flow catted downpipe on ebay for $200 that's mandrel and good looking quality but didn't know if I'd end up spending another $100-200 having it chopped up and modded to fit my LZ9.

I know it's probably a long shot and a waste of money but I'm not sure how much it's worth getting a regular crush bent 2.5" downpipe vs the stock 1.75"? 2"? downpipe.
    Thanks for any input you guys have.

Sounds like you need to take your business elsewhere. I don't understand why a shop would turn away a customer because the job is too little, or it's for a minivan, or why are you bothering, etc. Do you want my money or not?
    Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 213-SFI. 250k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!

Comment

Yeah they're all the same around here. Maybe they don't feel comfortable doing custom work I dunno. I like to scan the shops for employee/owner's cars and there's nothing but loud 4x4 pickups with cherry bombs or stock vehicles...any the closer performance oriented shops (only a couple I know of around Memphis) had no time for me lol.

And get this, I took my van in because the 3.9 has been sounding rough/coarse above 4k rpm (I have Overkill PCM/TCM tunes on the van since it's my daily driver) and have been getting 14mpg vs 18-19mpg for the last month. The shop calls me to come pick it up and says the van runs perfectly, it's basically my imagination they say (I've done motor swaps, etc on my own so I'm not a complete idiot) and so I ask if they pushed the engine past 4000rpm? The owner's son says, it already shifts at 3500rpm and that Uplander should NEVER be taken above 4k rpm, NEVER EVER. Looked me dead in the eye in a total deadpan manner saying that crap. So that's what I'm dealing with around here haha. It may not have much NA support but the LZ9 is a sweet little engine even in a VAN!
      lol

Comment

If I had a stock down pipe to make a jig from I could make you one since I'm working at an exhaust shop, then ship it to you.

I will try to grab one from the wreckers, next time I get a chance to get there
        1999 Olds Alero 2.4 to 3500 swap (running). totaled by a honda
        1992 lumina 4 door 3500 3spd auto 15.020 @93.5 mph
        1984 Cavalier type 10 hatch 3100 5spd!!!
        14.96@91.47 in the 1/4
        9.63@74.36 in the 1/8th
        14.30 on slicks! scrapped due to rust!

Comment

Aw man that would be so awesome!!
          Just let me know or pm or whatever if you ever get a chance and I'll gladly pay for the time materials and labor.
          Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
          X