Almost drop-in forged bottom end for the LX9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost drop-in forged bottom end for the LX9

I was playing around with different piston/rod combos on summit and I may have found an out of the box combo that works with just having rod bushings made. These pistons with these rods look like the right combo for proper deck clearance, c/r comes in at about 9:1, bearing size/bore is spot on AND this combo would be good for ~1500 hp for about $1.1k, assuming the block could ever live. The only thing I'm slightly iffy about is the rod side clearance since they're a bit narrower, but other than that this looks like a tempting combo. Seriously considering giving myself an early Christmas present...
    Last edited by 85maro; 11-04-2017, 01:56 AM.
    Increasingly I find the difference between a "fact" and an opinion is the number of people who believe it.

3.4 block converted to roller valvetrain with 220/225 cam on 115 lsa, '769' heads with 3500 valves, LS6 springs & porting, twin T04E turbos, 3500 plenum with ported 3400 lower & 'short star' 65mm throttle.

Can anyone tell the difference between these piston rings?
    Increasingly I find the difference between a "fact" and an opinion is the number of people who believe it.

3.4 block converted to roller valvetrain with 220/225 cam on 115 lsa, '769' heads with 3500 valves, LS6 springs & porting, twin T04E turbos, 3500 plenum with ported 3400 lower & 'short star' 65mm throttle.

Comment

bump from hell... those rods do work, but are narrower than stock 3500 rods. that being said, stock rods aren't that bad.
      "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Originally posted by 85maro View Post
        Can anyone tell the difference between these piston rings?
        Two are from Mahle and two are from Total Seal?

You could call the manufacturers and ask...
        I @$$ume you're talking about one being for 94.0mm bore and the other being for a 3.700 bore. The difference shouldn't be significant, especially if you're file fitting.

Seriously consider a TS gapless top ring for any performance build. They kick ass.

Gapless 2nd rings suck, so don't let them sell you those.

Current:
        \'87 Fiero GT: 12.86@106 - too dam many valves; ran 12.94 @ 112 on new engine, then broke a CV joint
        \'88 Fiero Formula: slow and attention getting; LZ8 followed by LLT power forthcoming
        \'88 BMW 325iX: The penultimate driving machine awaiting a heart transplant

Gone, mostly forgotten:
        \'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: slow but invisible

Comment

Working...
        X