How to store a used spare engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to store a used spare engine?

Hey guys, I just bought a used 2008 LZ9 with 72,000 miles since it was just a few miles away from me at a salvage yard. Mine is still running good but with 216,000 miles, I figure having a lower mile spare can't hurt but I don't want it to rust or seize from sitting too long.

It's going to stay inside my attached garage down here in Memphis, TN.

I was thinking of getting an engine stand but I figure it wouldn't be too healthy being attached to a stand for a few months? So I figured maybe just use a tire?

Also, any tips on keeping the internals safe from too much moisture/rust? I've read that draining all coolant is important. Also, some suggest just pulling the plugs and pouring a little engine oil in each cylinder, leaving the plugs out so moisture isn't trapped. Others say to add oil to the cylinders (or Fogging Oil) and then put the spark plugs back in.

Any input is appreciated, thanks fellas!

Jeremy

I'd probably fog the cylinders, or spray a bit of wd40 into them. I'd also cover every hole open to atmosphere.
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Storing it in a climate controlled area is the best start.
      Capping/plugging *ALL* openings is the second vital step.

I'd put a teaspoon of a heavy weight engine oil down each spark plug hole and role the engine over a few times by hand to make sure the cylinders are thoroughly coated with oil. Probably best to put it on a stand with on back vertical, do that bank, then tilt the engine so the other bank is vertical and do that bank.

Then when you resurrect it, do the same with ATF before first start.
      Current:
      \'87 Fiero GT: 12.86@106 - too dam many valves; ran 12.94 @ 112 on new engine, then broke a CV joint
      \'88 Fiero Formula: slow and attention getting; LZ8 followed by LLT power forthcoming
      \'88 BMW 325iX: The penultimate driving machine awaiting a heart transplant

Gone, mostly forgotten:
      \'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: slow but invisible

Comment

Thanks guys, one other thing, the salvage yard said it sat a few months at their yard so should I drain the current engine oil and refill with fresh? I've read that motor oil can break down and turn acidic over time. I don't want to go overboard prepping for possible long term storage (6mos-1 year likely) but I don't want to cut corners out of ignorance and wreck a perfectly good 70,000 mile engine. Also, I'm considering pulling the injectors and at least spraying the bottoms/injector holes with some carb or throttle body cleaner to help keep them from gumming up. Not sure how much good that will do though.

Edit: My mechanic buddy said not to worry with adding fresh oil even though the salvage yard drained the engine. I did spray the cylinders and inside the oil cap opening with fogging spray though and turned the engine by hand a few times, then put the plugs back in. Still need to cover the coolant inlet/outlets and throttle body.
        Last edited by niceguy; 12-23-2018, 09:42 PM.

Comment

that should do a decent enough job of preserving it, but make sure ALL OPENINGS ARE COVERED! on top of that, NON POROUS covers, the covers do no good if water can seep by them.
          "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

This might sound goofy, but for arguments sake, since this engine is on a stand in a temp controlled garage attached to the house that stays around 65deg constantly, what about leaving plugs out and openings uncovered so that no moisture is trapped? Humidity is controlled as well.

Comment

Working...
            X