Cylinder head torque specs , Boosted 3.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder head torque specs , Boosted 3.1

Im running a boosted 3.1 , big turbo setup, what is the actual ft/lb of a torque TTY bolt ? Manuals say 44 ft/lb + 90 degree rotation , I Havn't worked on the car in a few years but im back on the game now , I remember in the past torqueing the heads down a bit more to accommodate the higher boost/ bigger turbo. Machine shop estimates 44ft/lb + 90 degree will give you about 65-70 ft lbs of actual torque. Does this sound about right? My other buddy who knows a ton about these motors guessed about 100ft/lbs or more after the 90 degree turn is made . I used to have a magic number for final torque sequence but its been years and I can't remember I was to say 75 or 77 total ??? What do you boosted guys do ?

Also to pick a bone , on a 3.1 the front corner head bolt has a threaded head on top for the Torx bolt , anyone notice the felpro head bolt kit doesn't have this anymore ?? they're all the same long and short that's it .

How the heck would anyone run ARP studs on this motor without leaving that torx bolt out ?? I wouldn't want to do that.

I'm not sure what you mean about the torx bolt. as far as the torque value, use the manual number/procedure. also, make sure you start in the middle, and spiral out when torquing the bolts, torque in 3 passes to 44 ft lbs, and then use a breaker bar to do the 90 degree rotation. there is more to the torque value than just gasket compression.
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

I used arp studs for my boosted big turbo setup. Gm bolts I dont trust

Comment

Originally posted by bigcheese View Post
        I used arp studs for my boosted big turbo setup. Gm bolts I dont trust
        there are plenty of guys using GM bolts, making absurd power.
        "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Working...
        X