184rwhp/212rwtq...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 184rwhp/212rwtq...

May 20, 2006 - went to Palm Springs for West Coast F-Bodies dyno day. Temperature SUCKED @ 101* w/ 11% humidity. Ugh. Felt like i was in an oven.

Anyhow, car got up on the dyno, first one up, the tuning guy made the two runs using a wideband sensor.

For those of you that aren't reading the graphic, thats 184.32 RWHP @ around 4800 rpm, and 212 RWTQ @ around 4100 rpm (216 bhp/250 btq for those of you following). Apparently the cam has pushed the powerband of the car up a bit. (that was with the cutout fully open).

The silver lining to the cloud: I have a 216 hp / 250 tq 3.4L Camaro. That's well above the stock 160 hp / 200 tq that comes from the factory. I'll have to hit the track and see what kind of times I can get with this setup. I also really really wanna tune the car.

I was kind of disheartened by this dyno as I was expecting better results, however the guy that tunes cars (mostly v8 F-Bodies and the new GTOs) took me aside and pointed out the really bad 10:1 AFR and even the not-so-good 12:1 AFR at the end. He told me that if I could lean out the mix / tune the car, i would see a 10-15 tq gain down low, and then he chimed in with, "and you have a driveshaft problem you need to fix that's costing you hp/tq up top."

Those of you that have been following my posts around the boards know that I've had a mysterious vibration in the driveline and, long story short, have replaced the carrier, carrier bearings, rebalanced the tires, reshimmed the carrier and wondered about having the pinion bearings replaced...

Anyway, I have some work to do... Changed the plugs to Bosch Platinum+4, we'll see if those help any. Lots of thinking to do. Megasquirt is in my future...

hybrid - \'\'hI-br&d - The offspring of a cross between species.
    Co-Founder West Coast F-Bodies
    West Coast F-Bodies Car Club

I'm not familiar with that style 3.4, but i know all of the other 3x00 engines hate bosch plugs especially the +4's.

Oh and Congrats on your excellent dyno run
    Corey's 95 GP - Engine/Trans installed
    02 GTP - 90* > Failboat
    www.blackbombshell95.com

Comment

ouchers, i was expecting a lot more out of it than that
      3.4L camaro some goodies

Comment

pretty good for a v6 camaro, and yea get those bosch plugs outta there before they wear, return them and get your money back theyre garbage, the ones i pulled out of my 3400 had the electrodes worn away into the porcelin after about 5000 miles.

Comment

hrm...nice. whatever...its an experiment. anyway -- studlycamaro -- yes i was expecting better numbers too, but with a 10:1 A/F Ratio, cant really do much. I NEED to tune and then go and re-dyno, and we'll see if she does better.

not to mention that this is still with stock heads (unported i mean) and intake manifolds... + 50 (52?) mm tb. nothing special. its not like i went and spent thousands of dollars having parts ported and polished only to find out i only gained a few hp/tq. im pretty sure its good for a LOT more. im expecting to (after i get all the parts worked over and fixed) come out with around 250+ hp and probably 300+ tq. we'll see how that all goes but i really think its possible with this 3.4L V6

Comment

seriously man those plugs will be troublemakers down the road and i would be willing to bet money on that, i know its a little hard to swallow that u just wasted 7 bux a plug, ive been down the same road, and was furious to see how they degraded, if you want a good plug go with the nippondenso u-groove copper's, copper is almost just as good as a conductor as the platinums, but can handle the heat a lot better. also you might want to read this a little if ur still not convinced that the bosch plat+4's are the devil.

also some people mention that the plugs heat up faster and stay cleaner, which is true but only due to the fact that the gap eventually wears and has to make a bigger spark to jump the eroding gap creating more heat.
            Last edited by DarksideGA; 06-02-2006, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Do you have a cam? That could put you close to 250mark. If not then slap a CSC on there!
              sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
              1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
              16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
              Original L82 Longblock
              with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
              Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

LOL. yea i have a cam already.

Comp Cams Custom Grind.
                114/110/212/218/.476/.485

the problem is that im running the stock 3.4L RWD ecm programming. The 3.4L RWD (according to my Auto X-Ray (i have seen it with my own eyes)) uses a max setting of 60 degrees of spark advance in certain situations for the iron heads.

From several sources, I have found that the max spark advance the Aluminum heads can take is 30 degrees. Means to me that I'm probably getting some detonation. Moreso that the Auto X-ray, after driving for 20 minutes will show 3-4 Knock events.

The stock program is also designed for the stock injectors, 16#. Have heard that the 3400 comes with 19# injectors on the fuel rail, and thats what im using (the 3400 fuel rail + stock 3400 injectors)

so there are a lot of factors that are limiting me. car runs lean under normal driving, and MASSIVELY rich (10:1 A/F - 12:1 A/F) @ WOT. I really need to tune.

Comment

Originally posted by DarksideGA
                  seriously man those plugs will be troublemakers down the road and i would be willing to bet money on that, i know its a little hard to swallow that u just wasted 7 bux a plug, ive been down the same road, and was furious to see how they degraded, if you want a good plug go with the nippondenso u-groove copper's, copper is almost just as good as a conductor as the platinums, but can handle the heat a lot better. also you might want to read this a little if ur still not convinced that the bosch plat+4's are the devil.

also some people mention that the plugs heat up faster and stay cleaner, which is true but only due to the fact that the gap eventually wears and has to make a bigger spark to jump the eroding gap creating more heat.

i believe you. i bought them cause i wanted to see if the amount of spark helped any. it did... and so i was planning on getting new plugs and gapping them to .060 (as is the stock gap for the 3400) -- wanted to get a colder plug tho as the copper makes the engine detonate.

let me give you an idea of what i've seen:

using copper @ .045 - couldnt use MSD DIS-4. would misfire like crazy @ 2500 rpm under load. now i know you are gonna say, maybe you wired it wrong. well, after putting the Bosch plat+4 in, i can hook up and use the MSD...it still misfires but only once or twice @ like 3500 - 4000 rpm, and only in like 2nd gear or 3rd gear.

before i couldnt get out of first without hitting a misfire. now i can drive all the way into fourth if i dont accelerate too hard. so the difference in spark energy, or material, or both has caused a change where the engine isnt misfiring as bad.

would love to hear thoughts on this.

Comment

Uh, off topic here, but platinum is not a better conductor then copper, and neither is gold. Silver is the only naturally occuring metal that is a better conductor then copper. In fact, platinum is only marginally better then steel.

Comment

Hey 94Camaro nice numbers, do the guys on the Fiero site that are hogging up the remaining F-body 3.4L a favor and post your results on that site to break them out of the bad habit of choking that motor with the Fiero intake. You need only to look at the power rating for the early TPI V8 to see just how significant your accomplishment is.

Better yet, I'll post a link over there for them.

Comment

as far as your misfire problem goes, i would try cleaning up your maf sensor, liquid wrench did the trick for me alltho probably not the reccomended cleaner, it is still a de-greaser. and usually if u havent cleaned it ever you will see a few extra ponies out of that and will clean up your a/f ratio some. anyhow when i decided to junk my plat4's i switched to the good old ac delcos, and havent had a problem since, if youre looking for hp, plugs arent going to get you much.

Comment

Have you tried your stock injectors? I think that would fix your WOT rich problem, but not sure about your cruise lean problem.
                          sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                          1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                          16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                          Original L82 Longblock
                          with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                          Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

an old o2 sensor could also be causing you to be running rich, if you have 50 bux it would be a good thing to replace that since its had 12 years of carbon flowing thru it.

Comment

A faulty O2 sensor could cause your lean condition, but the PCM ignores the O2's at WOT and uses a preprogrammed fuel output..

Comment

Working...
                              X