Some topend swap questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some topend swap questions

So i'm here reading through my GM manual and I came across some things I have questions about.

1, say I buy new headbolts, would I get ones for my 3100 or the 03 3400 heads i'm going to put on (or are they the same?).

2, i'm reading here that I need to have a "Torque Angle Meter" to install the headbolts. I keep reading and it says to use a torque wrench to get to 33 ft lbs then tighten another 90* with this "Torque Angle Meter". It looks like it just turns the bolt another 90* which I could do with the torque wrench... I don't quite get it.

3, if I put on the 3500 topend and just block off the EGR and I get a code, does it really matter (like will it effect driving?). I don't have a tuner but plan to get one in the future.

4, it says on the right head that there is an oil level indicator assembly
    , and it just presses in and uses this sealent stuff. What kind of sealent would I use?

5, my valve covers from a 96 3100 should have no problems on 03 3400 heads right?

6, a standard craftsman 3/8" socket set and a torque wrench should be enough to do this right?

Sorry for all of the noob questions but this will be my first time doing something like this and I want to be sure I have all of my bases covered before I dive into my DD and F something up
    SpudFiles
    Blast vegetables and whatever else you can think of!
    Theopia
    Enjoy life online.

1996 3500GP Coupe, "Bright White".
    3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

3) you'll get a bright ass SES/check engine light in your face. A DHP tuner would work since you have ODBII and you could turn off EGR. I have no idea if it affects driveability or goes into a limp mode. 5) yes. same.
    sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
    1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
    16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
    Original L82 Longblock
    with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
    Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

1. Yes, headbolts are the same.

2. Never heard of it. You should just torque to 33ft/lbs the another 1/4 turn.

3. Not sure.

4. The only oil-level sensor that I know of is in the oil pan. Never heard or seen one in the heads.

5. Yes, they are the same.

6. It would be good to have a set of wrenches and misc screw divers also.

Good luck with the project. You may want to plan an entire weekend since its your first time.

Joseph

1987 Fiero SE/Fastback - 3500 Turbo / OBD1 / '92 FWD Getrag 282

Comment

If your not sure you can do it yourself, I will be willing to do the swap for you very cheep. I beleive you live really close to me also.
        1999 Grand Prix SE 3100
        1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 Ext cab. 5.2L
        1977 Dodge Power Wagon, Short bed, Fuel injected 360, 4spd, Dana 60's, Little Red Express bed.

Comment

I'm in Collinsville Darin, so mapquest it incase I get stuck

I'm fairly sure I can do it myself, I managed to do all 4 of my brakes and rotors first time myself with no help. It took me a long time and had to run to the store a few times to get something I ended up needing (GM used torx-60 bolts on my caliper brackets when in every other car/guide i've seen they have standard hex nuts so who knows heh).

I figure I can get up to about 5 days to where I don't totally need my car so I should have plenty of time incase something goes wrong.

Anyways ya i've never heard of any type of oil level hose in the head either but that's what the GM manual says for a 96.

Another question about fuel rails and injectors. The manual doesn't mention the fuel rail when removing the lower intake which i've read must come off so i'm sort of confused. Basically all of the injectors connect up to 2 rails that what just unscrew from something else on the side? I figured it'd be easier to get a LIM with the fuel rails/injectors still on it so I don't have to mess with installing injectors. Plus i'm very afraid of not putting on a gasket or something right and having fuel leak and my car catch on fire.

Just thought of something else , the pushrods, how exactelly do they come off/go back in? When I get a LIM gasket I get the option to get one with pushrod guides or without, which should I pick?

Anything else anyone could think of that would be nice to point out to me?

Thanks
          Last edited by PCGUY112887; 06-05-2006, 02:56 AM.
          SpudFiles
          Theopia
          Enjoy life online.

3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Comment

get the LIM gasket that fits your heads. So if you are going with 3400 heads, get the year and 3400 LIM gasket. Pushrods you should re-use, but mark which ones are which as intake/exhaust are different lengths. You will need of course 3400 LIM/UIM too if you want the full benefit. Push rods just lift out after you loosen the rockers.

I'd re-use yuor injectors/FPR. You can leave the injectors on the fuel rail along with the FPR. Just use a fuel disconnect tool to disconnect the lines up by the strut tower, then un-do the 2 bolts holding the fuel rails on the LIM. Put new o-rings on the injectors where they will seal into the new LIM and bolt it on. Simple. Depending on the year engine the injectors/FPR maybe different and your ECM won't be able to adjust properly. So I say re-use your stuff.
            Original L82 Longblock
            with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Collinsville huh? well im close enough that i dont need to map quest it! Gotta love the largest ketsup bottle in the world. I live in Waterloo

There is a lot more to the swap than compared to a simple break job, But if you get stuck I'm close enough that I can help you.

I agree with Isaac, Use your current fuelrails, regulator and injectors.
              1999 Grand Prix SE 3100
              1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 Ext cab. 5.2L
              1977 Dodge Power Wagon, Short bed, Fuel injected 360, 4spd, Dana 60's, Little Red Express bed.

Comment

So, you are putting the 3400 top-end on the 96 3100 block, right?

If so then you should buy a 2000+ 3100 head set. It will come with head, intake, and valve cover gaskets, along with a few seals and o-rings.

The fuel rail and injectors need to come out the remove the LIM.

Do not mix up your pushrods. Take a piece of cardboard and punch small holes in it like the pushrods are in the heads. Then # them. Then push the rods through the holes. Here is a picture to show you what I mean.

Comment

Good points!! I forgot about the headgaskets. That trick with the card board is very good. I use that every time I replace my LIM gasket.
                  Original L82 Longblock
                  with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

I thought I had to buy headgaskets for my 96 3100, then a 3400 LIM gasket for a 00+ and an 00+ 3400 UIM gasket to go to the 3500 upper intake?

For the fuel injectors do they just pop right out or is there an injector remover tool as well?
                    SpudFiles
                    Theopia
                    Enjoy life online.

Comment

2000+ 3100 gaskets will work fine, as your 96 block is like an 2000+ 3100 block, and the 3400 heads are just like a 2000+ 3100 heads. So basicly you're building a 2000+ large port 3100 motor. That keeps it simple. Fuel injectors have 2 bolts holding the rail to the LIM. Unbolt those and it lifts out. Put new o-rings and reverse install. You don't need to take the injectors out of the rail, or the fuel lines off the rails.
                      Original L82 Longblock
                      with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Ok so I checked out autozone and found this

FELPRO HEAD GASKET SET for a 2003 BUICK CENTURY
                        Unit Price: $169.99
                        Core Value*: $0.00
                        Part No.: HS9957PT-1

So now I want to triple check, 96 3100 block, 03 3400 heads, 00+ LIM, 3500 upper intake, and this gasket set should have no problems restricting flow with anything (because with 00+ parts the heads/lower is the same?)

And it will be fine with the 3500 upper correct?

Will the LIM gasket that comes with this be a revised one that isn't supposed to leak? (with the metal pieces or whatever they used). And I was curious, when I was looking through headgaskets themselves there is a "severe duty" one from felpro next to the standard one. What's the difference and should I worry about tryin to get it?

Thanks.
                        SpudFiles
                        Theopia
                        Enjoy life online.

Comment

Yes that set gasket set will work. I'm not sure if it is the revised set or not. The best thing to do would be to go to the parts store and ask to see the lower intake gasket. That way you will know for sure.

Comment

Heh now I must ask what would I be looking for to spot the revised one? I know there used to be pics somewhere but I forgot where...
                            SpudFiles
                            Theopia
                            Enjoy life online.

Comment

From what I know, the head gasket kits all use the older intake gaskets. The only way to get the newest revision is to get the head gaskets seperate of the intake manifold gaskets, or get the complete gasket kit.
                              Ben
                              60DegreeV6.com
                              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Working...
                              X