Synthetic Oil Life Study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synthetic Oil Life Study

I found an independent study being done on the benefits/disadvantages of different brands of synthetic oils over dino juice, oil service life, ect. I found it interesting. They used an 02 Z28 for a test car, and tested the popular ones, like Mobil 1 and Amsoil so far. They also took oil analysis samples every 1k miles to keep a close eye on the condition, and noted any oil level top offs so nothing would be left out of what contributed to the end result. I would repost it all, but after reading 3 decent sized pages. meh, I don't feel like it, and you can visit their site.

-60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
    synthetic oils over dino juice
    Interesting...but if you have an oil burner or have oil leaking...I don't think its relevant.

My sister asked me when she was driving her 61 Chevy, which burned/dripped about a quart every several hundred miles, "should I change the oil?"

They talk of extended oil service intervals...but if your rings are by-passing the fuel/exhaust air...for get it.

Comment

I think the point of this study was to find out how well the protection lasts in an engine in good shape. Not a dripper, or a burner. But yeah, I agree, if your car is a dripper or a burner, your doing yourself a disservice by buying synthetic, and your car will go from nickel and diming you to death to quarter and half dollaring you to death, lol.
      Last edited by pocket-rocket; 04-02-2008, 01:40 PM.
      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
      Originally posted by Jay Leno
      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
        I think the point of this study was to find out how well the protection lasts in an engine in good shape.
        Years ago, I recall trucking companies experimenting around...as I recall, they had a fancy oil filtering system that would be used, along with taking samples over time to determine when to change the oil.

I have no idea if this data was made public...but having a good filtration system would be essential.

On newer diesel motors, like Cummins, they use better filters today, which extends the oil change interval, about 2x longer.

Sidebar - I have a 1984 244 Volvo, and that 2.3L four banger uses a full size Ford Filter that's been used for years on Ford's V8 motors...this Volvo motor has some 240,000 miles on it, and appears to still be good to go.

Hence, get the biggest filter you can install, it may extend your oil service interval, if oil samples are taken (about $10.00, btw).

Comment

Working...
        X