Self Tuning Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self Tuning Computer

"The MAF sensor will compensate for your mods".

No, it wont. It will accept mods, including boost a lot easier than a MAP sensor setup did, because the computers are programmed with the ability to read boost values and higher airflow through the MAF sensor. However, the computer is programmed with hard set tables for the MAF sensor inputs to be converted to g/sec of air. The problem with thinking that the computer will tune itself is that it really doesn't tune. It just adjusts to keep the engine running.

If you are lean, you will have knock, which the knock sensor will pick up and then the computer will retard your ignition timing. This isn't tuning your spark table, its killing your performance. Its not tuning your fuel tables, its catching up and trying to learn. However, all its really learning is that you have KR at x amount of air and need x amount more fuel. Tuning would be telling the computer what it needs to give the engine the right amount of fuel and then see what your ignition needs to be set at.

Stock setups aren't even perfect. This is why you can gain power from a tune on a stock motor (kinda obvious right?). If its not perfect or damn close on a stock motor, it can't have a chance when you start to mod. Stock 01 grand am had 5-8 degrees KR and LTFT (thats long term fuel trim, or the BLM for those that have messed with OBD1) of what was supposedly -2 to +5%. Funny thing happens when you start to adjust it though. It gets further off. It went from wanting 5% more fuel in some areas to wanting another 10%! How can that be? Perhaps the KR it was getting was making the fuel requirement less. How will it fix itself if its compensating fuel and spark when fuel was the main factor? Granted it still had KR but it went down as fuel was added, accelerator fuel added, and PE kick in vs TPS % reduced. If you don't understand that, ill put it simply. It wasn't tuned for stock in stock form.

If you are reading this, and happen to be thinking about a first mod, let me make a suggestion. Make sure you can tune your car, or have it tuned before you do anything. I'm not saying you are gonna blow your motor with a cold air intake. I'm saying you aren't going get the most out of it without the ability to tune.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

This article was very helpful to give abit more insight thank you!

Comment

that is why my car is still stock.

Comment

Need a Tune

I agree 100%. I've made several mods to my 1996 Z26, and while faster than stock, I feel it should be more so, considering what I've done so far.
        I need to find a tuner in the Chicago, IL area, so if anyone knows one, please let me know!

Comment

Working...
        X