X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heated O2 Sensor Install

A new page entry has been added:

[drupal=160]Heated O2 Sensor Install[/drupal]

This is a how-to on installing a heated oxygen sensor into your car. The benefit of a heated oxygen sensor is that your car will go into closed loop much quicker, which means the ECM is adjusting your fuel based off of the sensor and not maps. By doing this your car will run better quicker on cold start-ups. It will also improved fuel consumption during start up, as well as reduce emissions.
    First, you will need to get a 4-wire heated O2 sensor with the pig-tail.</p>

The First 3400 Powered J-body Sedan

the closed loop timers need to be adjusted for the computer to go into closed loop any faster.. Stock values are:

Cold: 180 sec
    Warm: 110 sec
    Hot: 40 sec

With a heated o2 installed you'll want to make these changes:

Cold: 60 sec
    Warm: 40 sec
    Hot: 20 sec

Watch your INT and BLM when the computer switches to C/L , if they rocket around you may need to increase the timers by 10-20 sec. These values worked fine for me though.

Also, it's a very good idea to use a relay instead of pulling power directly from brown/white stripe wire. My heated o2 constantly blew my ECM fuse untill i switched to a relay.
    Past Builds;
    1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
    1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
    Current Project;
    1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Which cars need a heated o2 sensor added? My 96 had one stock.
      SpudFiles
      Blast vegetables and whatever else you can think of!
      Theopia
      Enjoy life online.

1996 3500GP Coupe, "Bright White".
      3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Comment

No OBD1 cars that I know of (60V6s at least) have heated O2 sensors. So there is your list...
        -Brad-
        89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
        sigpic
        Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Working...
        X