Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96/97 Intake Manifold Swap for 91-95 Engines

Pictures can be found HERE.

Having just completed this swap myself and being MORE than impressed with the results, I felt the need to write up how to properly do this swap so everyone else can do it easily.

First off, here are the major components you will need from your donor motor:
    <ul> Upper Intake (Plenum)</p>
    Lower Intake and fuel rail
    I may own a GTO now, but I'm still a 60V6er at heart.

there is a problem with the writeup....

a l67 and N* wont just "bolt right up" an adapter will need to be made or the TB's will need to be drilled or studs relocated on the TB flange. also the stock 96 tube isnt wide enough to port to make a smooth transition for a N* tb nor big enough to alow space for the TB blade to fully rotate into the flange.

Comment

Yeah, I know that now. Back then I was given some bad info on that matter.
      I may own a GTO now, but I'm still a 60V6er at heart.

Comment

Ok, I will fix that part of the write-up. Thanks for looking it over!

UPDATE: Fixed.
        Last edited by bszopi; 05-23-2008, 06:29 AM.
        -Brad-
        89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
        sigpic
        Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

this is one of my goals. what would you figure like an extra 10 hp without using the Type R stickers? there is a slight difference though in the feel after, right? im not just gonna do it for no reason?

My Cardomain Page | My Random Online Gallery<- (Now Fixed)

Comment

It's hard to measure in peak horsepower gains. Think of it more like you would be able make your peak horsepower hold deeper into the powerband before dropping off. I could see a 10hp gain easy but that isn't what is important here - in my experience with the 96 intakes the real gains are broadening the powerband and making that power last longer... plus you can always make a custom plenum tube and slap a 75mm TB on the end like I did... then you make some real top end power!
            1991 Grand Prix GTP LX9swap/Getrag 284 --- SOLD =(
            1994 Corvette
            LT1/ZF6
            2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4
            3.7/42RLE

Comment

yeah i hears that... the built in TB doesnt give a guy too many options

Comment

96/97 doesnt have a built in TB
                separate bolt on unit.
                1994 Corvette
                LT1/ZF6
                2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4
                3.7/42RLE

Comment

does the TB have coolant running thought it then on the newer model?

Comment

It does, but you can bypass it. I don't have coolant running through mine.
                    1994 Corvette
                    LT1/ZF6
                    2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4
                    3.7/42RLE

Comment

no, i was actually worried about that! lol i think i need it here, it gets REALLY cold in the winter. its been -8C lately.

Comment

It only seems really cold because you read your thermometer on the wrong side. Use the F side, it won't seem so cold then
                        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                        Originally posted by Jay Leno
                        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
                          It only seems really cold because you read your thermometer on the wrong side. Use the F side, it won't seem so cold then

EDIT: -8C meaning ~17F... yeah its getting close to that here
                          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                          Latest nAst1 files here!
                          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post

EDIT: -8C meaning ~17F... yeah its getting close to that here
                            When I went to bed last night, instead of rain we had a really light snow. The ground was too warm for it to stick, but yeah, it still snowed all the same.
                            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                            91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                            92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                            94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                            Originally posted by Jay Leno
                            Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

i drive to work in the snow right now. no lies. its melting this weekend from what i hear, but we'll see.

Comment

Working...
                              X