Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prophiseer View Post
    mostly on "performance through efficiency"
    the bane of the faiboat motor... "not enuf powah?!?! smaluh pulley!!! HERR DURR HERR"

i could 'reserve' some articles for you if you'd like...

and on that note, i'm gonna write the spark plug article in a minute...
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Maybe if I can get enough people to bug him, we can convince 3400-modified to do some 4T60E articles. There are probably several threads on here of his that could be combined into a very technical article.
      -Brad-
      89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
      sigpic
      Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi View Post
        I was searching the site for something else, and came up with another similar topic from 2004. So sadly, we've been asking for this for 6 years now, and still have yet to get much. Maybe this time around...
        Well it's pity I didn't find this site until after I had to do a head gasket in March, or I'd have made the LIM article as part of that. (Alloy heads.) But, the labor for that can be hugely reduced if you have a handy lever to move the rockers and take the pushrods out w/o removing valve covers. The video I saw had a tool made of square stock but I bet flat stock with cold-rolled pins perpendicular would work too.

Comment

starting the EGR cleaning/inspection article... this one is kinda fun since you get to actuate solenoids. i had fun with that using my little portable jumper and a few jumper wires... i think solenoid 3 reminded me of a 240G when you just lightly rubbed the jumper across it and it started going from closed to open at a rate of about 360 times a minute....
          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
          Latest nAst1 files here!
          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

You gonna start including pictures or diagrams with any of these?
            -Brad-
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi View Post
              You gonna start including pictures or diagrams with any of these?
              if they're necessary. i didn't think of the articles i've done thus far really needed it. so far i have one diagram in the EGR doc, but i don't honeslty think it would need more clarification.
              Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Originally posted by Tbay99Venture View Post
                Well it's pity I didn't find this site until after I had to do a head gasket in March, or I'd have made the LIM article as part of that. (Alloy heads.) But, the labor for that can be hugely reduced if you have a handy lever to move the rockers and take the pushrods out w/o removing valve covers. The video I saw had a tool made of square stock but I bet flat stock with cold-rolled pins perpendicular would work too.
                Not to be a butthole, but I looked into that tool. I wouldn't use it just to do the LIM gaskets with the rear valve cover on. I mean, busting the seal on it is only asking for a leak later. I would, however, use that tool instead of loosening rockers, that would save a significant amount of time by not having to loosen and tighten them. One guy made an excellent point in the video I watched.

If you've done enough of them, the extra time to remove the coil and rear valve cover is miniscule. Not to mention the fact that you SHOULD be replacing valve cover gaskets doing this job. The people are paying for it to be done, corners should not be cut.
                -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                Originally posted by Jay Leno
                Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Regarding the 60* rocker arm tool, the better one to use can not be used without taking the valve covers off. https://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/t...&page=4&#56771

If you're a tech, you can grab the tool from Matco, Snap-On or MAC for ~$15.00. Or, you can order it off of one of these companie's sites for a little more.

I've found the tool shaves about 45min worth of work off doing a LIM. As well, no need to worry about accidentally installing the wrong pushrods (nor re-torquing the rockers), as the rockers aren't loosened or removed, and you're not rotating the motor (and therefore the cam/lifters).

Besides, anyone who does manage to accomplish this job without removing a valve cover, I'd like to know how you manage to properly re-torque the rockers . . . as the torque of these can be quite critical to their longetivity. I'm sorry, but the "german torque" (good-en-tight) simply isn't good enough.

Regarding the articles, guys, sorry 'bout the delay. I've been sick as a dog this last week and haven't felt like doing much of squat (even with the amount of time I've been absent from work).
                  N-body enthusiast:
                  {'87 Grand Am SE - 3.0 90* v6} / {'93 Grand Am LE - 3.3 90* v6}
                  {'98 Grand Am SE - 2.4 Q4} / {'99 Grand Am GT1 - 3400 60* v6}

Current Project:
                  {'90 Chevrolet C1500 Sport 350TBI}

Comment

Sorry for the double post . . . one other article idea that I could contribute is a concise list of GM DTCs. P0001-P3497 to be exact. I've been working on a list for my own purposes at work that name the DTC, then gives a brief explanation as to how the code is set, what actions the PCM takes when the code is set, and possible causes of the DTC. I've been trying to set it up in a point&click table/listing setup (like a webpage) for ease of access.

Think y'all'd be interested when it's done?
                    N-body enthusiast:
                    {'87 Grand Am SE - 3.0 90* v6} / {'93 Grand Am LE - 3.3 90* v6}
                    {'98 Grand Am SE - 2.4 Q4} / {'99 Grand Am GT1 - 3400 60* v6}

Current Project:
                    {'90 Chevrolet C1500 Sport 350TBI}

Comment

For something like that, I'd almost rather try to write a program (which could be inside an article, like the CR Calc), and have all the info in a database. Allow the user to insert a DTC, and have it return the information.
                      -Brad-
                      sigpic

Comment

On a side note, I had some time yesterday to add some more spec sections to the new system. I need to check on character limits in the articles, because I ran across a couple spec sections that seem to break the layout. Only thing I can think of is that they are reaching a limit of some sort, and therefore not allowing the table to be closed, therefore breaking the overall page layout. I really don't want to break them up, but if I have to, I guess I will.
                        -Brad-
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by prophiseer View Post
                          Sorry for the double post . . . one other article idea that I could contribute is a concise list of GM DTCs. P0001-P3497 to be exact. I've been working on a list for my own purposes at work that name the DTC, then gives a brief explanation as to how the code is set, what actions the PCM takes when the code is set, and possible causes of the DTC. I've been trying to set it up in a point&click table/listing setup (like a webpage) for ease of access.

Think y'all'd be interested when it's done?

I only have a couple things in there for testing purposes right now. Leave both fields blank to see the complete list. Then, click the Start Over button, insert one of the codes into the DTC box or a word in the description box, and then check out the results. If you think there should be other columns, let me know and I can add them. Then, once you are done with your list, I can write a SQL query to get all the info into the database.
                          -Brad-
                          sigpic

Comment

Messed with it some more. I did a search online for OBD-1 codes as well, and have added all (??) of them to the database.

EDIT: 20 min later, and I think all the OBD-2 codes are in there as well. Now we just need to compile the additional data (ie, what causes it, how to fix it, etc). In my quest for the codes, I see that there will be much more information to add. There are several different ways I can think of to allow for all the data to be shown.
                            Last edited by bszopi; 06-18-2010, 12:45 AM.
                            -Brad-
                            sigpic

Comment

So who would like to see an article about replacing the solenoids and hardened 4th hub on a 4T65E? That ought to be general enough for any of the transverse models and also gets the valve body & case cover out of the vehicle for those wishing to install shift kits, etc. (Transmission remains in the vehicle.)

I just did that this weekend and took a lot of pictures. However I haven't reviewed them. I won't be able to start working on this until after the 4th of July if you all think it's worth doing.

Comment

i've always wondered how hard it was to get to the 4th hub, since i guess they are a weak link in a 4T60E as well.
                                Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Working...
                                X