Clutch Pulley alternators Good info on operation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Pulley alternators Good info on operation

My Finacee's Toyota Rav 4 stalled after idling with the A/C on for nearly an hour and would not continue to run for more than a few seconds after being jump started. It's an 07 with just over 40k so it seemed early for an alternator failure but I couldn't help but suspect it. The article below with video of function explained what likely happened. So far the car turned up only needing a battery instead of the $500 alternator with the clutch operated pulley.

so, to save 1/10 of a mile per gallon in long ilde situations, manufacturers aren't allowing the alt to generate any power at idle?

yeah, i don't see anything wrong happening here...
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
      so, to save 1/10 of a mile per gallon in long ilde situations, manufacturers aren't allowing the alt to generate any power at idle?

yeah, i don't see anything wrong happening here...
      It's all because of CAFE. Automakers will do a lot to save even a 1/4mpg. Electric PS & Electrohydraulic PS, cylinder deactivation, low tension piston rings, thinner oils, variable line pressure in transmissions, crappy er... I mean low resistance tires, economy specific engine tunes, and recently even two stage oil pumps. The last one is exactly as it sounds, cut down on the engine's oil supply to engine some under light cruise situtations :O.

Most of it is pretty cool technology and worthwhile stuff, some of it is not. They wouldn't need any of it though if cars would just stop getting fatter and fatter all the time.
      Jesse M.

3x 1990 Turbo Grand Prix
      1987 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe

Comment

To my knowledge these are not decoupling clutches, merely over-running type clutches a la the one way sprags that are used in automatic transmissions. The reason is to reduce torque loads on the crankshaft and drive belt when the engine decelerates. I have seen several failures, usually they are done for. I have not yet had one jam in the unlocked state. Demand based alternator field control through the PCM has been around for a while on various makes/models.

If you ain't rock and roll, you must be driving a Honda

Comment

most OBD2 3x00 PCMs do it IIRC...
          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
          Latest nAst1 files here!
          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Working...
          X