Winter car storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter car storage

This is from a SuperCoupe T-bird and Cougar site, but it pretty much applies to all cars that get stored in the winter:

So how many people store their cars, and what do you do to prep it? Last year I didn't do any prepping on the 92 to store it, but I plan on making up for it this year.
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

I do minimal prepping... just the usual make sure the gas tank is full, fill the tires up plenty, and park the car on top of a plastic tarp... I don't even think i washed it last year =) works well for all the cars in storage....

Cliff Scott
    89 BerettaGT
    89 Volvo740 <-soon to come out for the winter months
    Cliff Scott
    89 BerettaGT
    04 AleroGX

Comment

Theres a lots of good ideas on that site.. but I don't think I would bother doing half of them, even with a really nice car.

I think as long as you have a modern garage (not like a barn or something) that it should be fine, and body rust shouldn't be a real problem if you have good paint and take care of it anyways.

I think getting undercoating (or greasing) parts like cables and brake lines is a good idea.

Keeping the tank full and making sure the battery doesn't die is the most important thing for a regular winter storage.

I'm not sure with the oil issue- I've had my GP sitting on the driveway for several months with oil that will need to be changed.. I figure when its time to get it running again I'll just drive it till the engine gets nice and hot, let it cool down somewhat, then put in engine flush and then change the oil.

Comment

I kinda figured along the lines of you, Dave. But instead of using motor flush, I figuered I would change the oil in the spring when I dig it back out to get rid of all of the condensation that could have happened over winter. What really sucks is last year I didn't get to fill the tank up because the throw out bearing was shot, DOH!!!
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

I normally throw stabil in the gas tank if it is going to sit awhile.
          1992 Chevrolet S10
          2.8 v6 tbi 5 speed

Comment

Where should I add this on the site? I will need to ask permission from the author of the link if we do add this to the site (which is what this section of the forum is for). Anyone want to create their own list?
            Ben
            60DegreeV6.com
            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

One thing I would leave out for sure would be leaving the clutch pushed in!!! I thought of spraying some WD-40 on the brakes thought, since the rotors rusted up last winter. My luck is I would forget about it and go take off in the car before using brake clean to get it off, so I'm not going to do it, lol.
              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

i cover it, thats about it. i drive it once every couple weeks if the salt gets washed off the road, just to keep it running right

Comment

I wouldn't worry about spraing the rotors, thier gonna rust no matter what. Besides, any rust will be taken off after a few stops.

Comment

Yeah, that's another reason why I decided to forget about doing it.
                    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

I just do the Stabil in gas tank and discconect battery
                      96 DOHC

Comment

I sprayed WD-40 on my rear brakes (rotors and all) cause they were really rusty. WD-40 isn't too thick so it should come off after several stops (just don't go out in major traffic or highway or something). I can't stress enough how much I wish I would have got my car undercoated (or don't it myself). Now I gotta replace the gas tank (managed to "plug" the leak, sitting in the driveway but not dripping gas with 1/2 tank.) but the rest of the bottem of the car has its share of rust.
                        STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!!

Comment

I ended up dumping a bottle of Stabil in the tank and filled it up. The car was already undercoated when I got it, luckily. Washed it up decently, but not the way I usually do because it was really cold out when I put it up. It has been nice lately, so I will probably stretch the hose out to it and rewash it again, maybe throw some wax on it too. I left the battery connected because I don't want people messing with the car, so the alarm is on. I would like to start it every once in a while, but I don't like the idea of circulating all of the water that could have collected in the oil already into the engine, so if the battery gets low, I will stretch my extention cord over to the car and charge it. It's an Optima, so I don't think I have to worry about it for a while.
                          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

I'd just put a trickle battery charger on it. You can buy them for like $20-$30 i think
                            96 DOHC

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket
                              Washed it up decently, but not the way I usually do because it was really cold out when I put it up.
                              Aren't you from Texas? How cold can it be down there?
                              I was patching up my gas tank with my crappy creeper slipping off my ass in 2*C.. now thats chilly!

Comment

Working...
                              X