No announcement yet.

Winter car storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, just thought I'd make you guys envious by telling you that I've never had to store anything for the winter...I'll be suprised if I even have to drive on ice or snow. :P
    \"I think I\'ll take this oppurtunity to remove my ears.\"
    --Capt. Jean-Luc Picard

94 Grand Am GT 3100 16.4@83mph
    WAI, custom exhaust, MSD Coils

Comment

I am in Indiana, the car came from Texas. :P
      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
      Originally posted by Jay Leno
      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

BTW, just an update on things. My grandmother in Florida almost had to have open heart surgery, so I got the car ready to head down there. The guy mentions in the article that if you have the parking brake on, the pads can rust to the rotors. This is very true. I had to get on it some to break them loose.
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

I stored mine for this winter. Sitting outside at my parents house since I can't store it at my apartment. As prep I got an oil change, filled the tank including sta-bil and HEET, bought a $30 autozone cover and then a tarp over that. I try to get out to their house to drive it whenever it's nice out, usually about once a week, then drive it around for an hour. The battery's not going to last until spring, but I can live with that.
          14.864 @ 92.61mph.....NA

http://www.cardomain.com/id/kubiache

Comment

I did get a car cover for Christmas, lol, so that is on the car too, to keep it safe, especially since we are getting a snow/ice storm tonight around midnight. Reason I figured I would let the old oil in there stay intill spring is because of the water condensation that could occur in the engine, kinda like it does in the gas tank if you don't keep it full. I would hate to throw in a new oil change, just to change it again in spring without driving the car between changes. I'm one of the few that is not made of money around here, lol.
            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

I read somewhere that taking starting up your car once a week or whatever is bad, because it does something to the oil - best to just let it sit until you are gonna drive it again

Comment

No you'll want to start it now and then and let it run so the seals don't dry out. Plus, it'll keep the battery kickin for a little longer.
                14.864 @ 92.61mph.....NA

http://www.cardomain.com/id/kubiache

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Badass v.2.0
                  I read somewhere that taking starting up your car once a week or whatever is bad, because it does something to the oil - best to just let it sit until you are gonna drive it again
                  If you get it up to a good operating temp, it should be good because the water in the oil will evaporate. I just don't like the idea (mentioned above a few times already, lol) of circulating water contaminated oil around in there, so I will change the oil before starting the car in the spring.
                  -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Working...
                  X