No announcement yet.

3.1L/3400 hybrid swap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this is how they come now, with the hub tack welded to the ring. It fits down in the pulley, lines up to the keyway and you get a longer bolt.

the RWD pulley is too deep to put the trigger in front, that's why i cut the center out of mine and just bolted it down.

Ideally a pulley with an integrated 7x ring on the back end could be made. Someone would have to talk Marc into that though.

mounting the sensor bracket is no problem, just use longer bolts and washers to shim it out.

The 3500's 7x internal ring is larger, I almost welded that to my pulley but decided not to. I gave it to the new owner in case he wanted to install it.
    Last edited by Superdave; 04-15-2014, 08:20 PM.
    Past Builds;
    1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
    1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
    Current Project;
    1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Raven View Post
      *sigh*

"Harmonic balancer", Not "engine balancer"...

Just because TCE does it, does not make it a good idea. You will NEVER see anyone else do this, OEMs, or major aftermarket manufacturers.

Learn what an harmonic balancer is and how it works and then you might see why it's a bad idea and can cause unstable timing issues. I'll give you a hint: the outer ring moves differently than the the inner part of the harmonic balancer, and absorbs the shocks to the crankshaft that are created by each cylinder firing event. Ok, that was more than just a hint, but using notches on an harmonic balancer is a really bad idea. The other issue is the outer ring ever slips, which is not uncommon, the timing will then be off, causing the car to not even be able to limp home. With a proper trigger wheel the car can at least be driven home or to a repair shop.
      BMW has always had the 60-2 wheel on the outside of the damper...
      Links:
      WOT-Tech.com
      FaceBook
      Instagram

Comment

• Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
        BMW has always had the 60-2 wheel on the outside of the damper...
        I find that hard to believe.

Comment

• Well I went ahead and ordered that FWD kit from BBC. Looks like I can modifly a few things to get it to work nicely.... hopefully that issue was why i was having problems. Thanks for the tips guys. Ill update ya when I get the item and start to get it on the car. Not sure how long marc takes to ship stuff out but Im anxious to get the part and work on the car again.
          BorgWarner S366 3.1/3100 Turbo Thirdgen
          1/4 mile best 11.59@119mph
          1/8 mile best 7.47@94.9Mph

A 11.70 Pass https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoxC...aSKRMi9Jn94Ubg

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Raven View Post
            I find that hard to believe.
            I am 100% sure. We have tons of Bavarian in the shop.

Attached Files
            Links:
            WOT-Tech.com
            FaceBook
            Instagram

Comment

• Fasteddi I'm not convinced that the trigger wheel is the issue. I cut notches into the front of the crank pulley like you and I'm getting spark no problem... In fact the engine is running nicely albeit a bit rich.
              '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
              '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

• You could be right. But I ordered it anyways just because i spent 2 solid days out there messing with it with no luck. I know the first ICM i had was bad but the used one i have now is good, I even got a brand new one for 90 bucks at orilies because I was so irritated and stressed out. The wireing just to make spark is correct. The sensor ohms are good and it was producing a distinct ac signal but that may have been the problem. If this new wheel doesnt solve the problem then I will know for sure its not the wheel and that part of the system. BCC is shipping the wheel tommorow, being that they are located only 2 hrs away it should be here in 2 days so I can see if it was that or not.

Comment

• The wheel didnt help....but

So I said screw it and got a new sensor and wired in a different power source because i was in a rush today and only had about 10 minutes to play on the car and what happen...... it F-ing ran! Not sure if it was the sensor yet or the power source cutting out but it runs and I can work on it this weekend to break it in completely and make sure everything is ok.

Comment

• Any updates?
                    1999 Olds Alero 2.4 to 3500 swap (running). totaled by a honda
                    1992 lumina 4 door 3500 3spd auto 15.020 @93.5 mph
                    1984 Cavalier type 10 hatch 3100 5spd!!!
                    14.96@91.47 in the 1/4
                    9.63@74.36 in the 1/8th
                    14.30 on slicks! scrapped due to rust!

Comment

• Well the only things I need to do still is hook up the TV cable, put the hood on, then take it arround and tune it. Runs well. Only been on stands but I want to take it out on the road next weekend if I can and start tuning at very low boost levels. 5psi or less since I have multiple springs and the controler also. Ive tuned it a bit because it was pretty lean at low kpa idle levels. Also ran it for about 1 hr in total and changed the filter and oil after about a 20 minuet break in run.

Last edited by fasteddi; 05-15-2014, 04:58 PM.

Comment

• Sounds like it's going well!
                        '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

• Yea it getting there. Seems like its been a huge pain to get this thing going but im glad its finally running and getting close to being on the road.

Comment

• pls can you tell me the firing order for an oldsmobile silhoutte 1998 with coil pack numbering 1/4 2/5 6/3

Comment

• Firing order is 123456. But why are you asking? If you're installing plug wires just follow the numbers on the coil pack.
                              '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

• My guess... 123456 would be the order.

Updates. I just need to toss the hood on, go renew my tags, and take it for a drive and tune it more. I added just a little fueling to the part throttle and WOT and dumped 1 degree of timing all across the board in hopes that i can at least drive it around the block on that tune and get a guess on how those heads, headers, and such effected my tunes from last year. I drove it back and forth on my drive way for quite a while just because. Dont laugh!
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by fasteddi; 05-22-2014, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X