Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flow Numbers.

3400 Stock manifolds vs WOT-Tech Competition Ported vs Stock Bare Head

This is a pretty straight forward comparison showing the flow at the intake valve for a stock bare head (what you normally see for flow numbers) against what the engine really flows with the manifolds and throttle body on there. First is stock, which is the benchmark standard for our Dynomation cam selection on stock engines. If you are doing any sort of engine simulation, it is important that your data is as accurate as possible. This means what the engine flows as a unit. Not doing so will skew cam specs and inflate simulation results.

At .500 lift (most common value despite its lack of real value to a stock 3400) the stock head flows 214 cfm. With the manifolds, its 174.4. Porting them puts it up to 185.1 (in 2006).

Dynomation Results for Stock vs WOT-Tech Ported Manifolds

This is simulated crank HP using the flow numbers for the complete stock intake setup and our 2006 ported manifolds. Stock throttle body still being used. +9HP, +8TQ.

56mm vs 65mm TB flow at the valve

This is an unknown 3500 setup used to compare the flow at the intake valve when using a 56mm TB, and a 65mm TB. It is a small but measurable improvement in static flow on a single open valve. These changes are used for our simulations as well, which already take into account the overall flow improvement (327 vs 440 CFM @ 1.5 inHg)

3400 Head with Small Port Manifolds vs Large Port vs 3500 with Stock Manifolds vs 3900 VVT Open vs VVT Closed vs 3900 Non Variable Upper

This should be interesting for the 3900 owners. I am certain no one else is going to have this info to share, and I think it makes the most impact on anyone that believes we are wasting our time telling everyone that the manifold flow is important. Click the link, print it out...and follow along

First we have a stock 3400 head, because I never flowed the small port head with the small port manifolds. It would be more dramatic, as I have flowed the stock head bare and its 202 vs 214 @ .500". 3400 with small port is 162.4 cfm @ .500.

Lets jump to the good bit. Go to test No. 5. Stock 3900 head with stock manifolds, VVT upper, Closed Vane. 168.3 cfm @ .500.

Your 3900 flows about the same as a slightly overclocked small port 3100 while cruising around. No big deal though right, when you lay into it, its gonna open that vane and surely flow a lot. Test No. 4, Open vane. 183.1 CFM, or a 15cfm improvement. Pretty sweet, until you look at the stock 3400 and 3500 head/manifold setups and see they flow 174.4 and 176.7 respectively. More displacement, not a big improvement in flow.

So how about some good news. The non variable 3900 upper jumps up to 205.6 cfm @ .500. That's 22cfm over the variable.

Of course the non .500 numbers are very interesting as well between all these setups.

3.4 DOHC Stock vs Ported Flow

Josh (the previous owner of my grand prix) had someone local to him port the heads, and we flowed the heads while they were at the shop getting new guides all around and milled. That was about it as far as LQ1 testing is concerned. We may do the stock 96-97 heads once the new bench is done. We have a set, but its hard to rationalize rebuilt heads vs a set that needs the same work done at least.
    Last edited by bszopi; 11-09-2011, 08:10 AM. Reason: More flowsheet action
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Nice. We need to build a page for the store to display these in graphical form... Hmmm...
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

I finally spent some time looking through my nearly 1400 flowsheets to find good examples. I know the ported manifolds flow a little more now but I didn't label it well enough (lots of intake test x). Saw 3800 intake and remembered I was using the 3800 valve size at that time to test. Oh, and I have the 3.4 DOHC flow numbers for 91-95, stock and what Josh had done for porting. Ill post those up too since there isn't much out there for 3.4 DOHC flow (and someone asked me for them). All this is still on my P3 800 laptop.
      Ben
      60DegreeV6.com
      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Added the 3.4 DOHC numbers.

Some of the numbers I have are useless because the testing was not the same (no exhaust tube extension creating a restriction from turbulence for example).
        Last edited by SappySE107; 11-09-2011, 12:06 AM.
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
          Added the 3.4 DOHC numbers.

Some of the numbers I have are useless because the testing was not the same (no exhaust tube extension creating a restriction from turbulence for example).
          Linky no worky.

I still plan to have mine done at some point.
          Jesse M.

3x 1990 Turbo Grand Prix
          1987 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe

Comment

Which cars/years did the non variable intake 3900 come in? That difference in flow is huge, I am shopping for a 3900 right now and it doesnt look like there is any point in buying one with a variable length intake for my purposes.
            Thanks
            Roy

Comment

Originally posted by jman093 View Post
              Linky no worky..
              Fixed.
              -Brad-
              89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
              sigpic
              Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

I think the variable upper was killed off by 2008 but I could be wrong. It might depend on the application, but an 08 G6 has the non variable upper for sure.
                Ben
                60DegreeV6.com
                WOT-Tech.com

Comment

I don't remember which 3900s had the non variable plenum but the LZ4 3500 plenum is the same and bolts right on. That is what I have switched to on my 3900.
                  MinusOne - 3100 - 4T60E
                  '79 MGB - LZ9 - T5
                  http://www.tcemotorsports.com
                  http://www.britishcarconversions.com/lx9-conversion

Comment

Dont mean for this to be off topic if taken that way...

So on the 3900 I can just swap over an upper non varible intake manifold and since it lets the heads flows better that going to be found HP? Or for that matter a 07+ 3500 higher flow intake manifold from (WOT) and that all still be like found power also with no real issues. Maybe at most just need a retune?

Comment

Yes, just swap and retune.
                      Ben
                      60DegreeV6.com
                      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Working...
                      X