The GTP Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The GTP Build

Hi, my name is Clay. I live in Omaha and am friends with the forum member "Huskey".. Were working on rebuilding his GTP. Its pretty rough right now. Let me know what you think. Ill also include as list of parts we still need if anyone has anything laying around youd like to get rid of. Thanks!!

Engine/Suspension Components:

Shift cable/select cable (On order)
    Engine wiring harnes (96-97 LQ1)(received)
    UIM (96-97)Bought
    LIM (96-97)bought
    TB/arm (96-97)
    Throttle cables
    EGR Setup (will by-pass)
    Head (96-97)
    Exhaust manifolds w/crossover (96-97)
    Oil Pan (96-97)
    PS Pump (96)
    Timing Belt and tools-bought
    Dip Stick-bought

Interior:

Inst.cluster (96)
    OBD II DIC
    Carpet(Black, Grand Prix)
    Seats(???)
    Dashboard(Black, Grand Prix)
    Headliner(Black, Grand Prix)
    Door Panels(Black, Grand Prix)
    Rear Sides(Black Custom/Dynamat)
    Rear Deck(Black, Grand Prix)
    Shift Knob

(This is copied off my thread started on a SHO forum as thats what i own! )

Well.. we started tearing into the GTP pretty good.. ill get some more pix when i can get them off my other computer BUT so far i have the tear down of the motor!!

Intake Manifolds off

Timing Belt.. Goofy, hugh?

Cam Carriers

Teh Head.. under the cam carriers.. these motors are goofy as ****..

Some Pistons

This is the Piston where the head gasket showed some bad wear..ogle:

Rotating Ass..

A fun vid.
    Last edited by zblackbeast; 01-29-2010, 05:55 AM. Reason: Update
    Clayton
    1994 Ford Taurus SHO MTX

nice tear down... that is a dirty motor lol... would love to see pics of the progress as you make it. Good luck with the rebuild. how far down are you taking it? If you do a full tear down to the block i would like to see the block all hot tanked and clean.. i hate working on greasy ass motors, makes such a mess.

S
    Shane "RedZMonte"
    2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
    1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
    -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
    2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
    1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
    1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
    1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
    1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

Weve already put it back together.. What you saw in teh pictures was as far down as we took it. We cleaned a lot of the gunk off and just rebuilt it from there with all new gaskets and seals. Currently the motor and tranny (were doing a 5 speed swap and OBDII swap) are back in the car! Even tho were going a step further and redoing the motor im sure its going to come back down in the next couple of weeks and were going to take the motor completely apart, but ill let sam (huskey) Chime in in the next few days here!! If you guys have any suggestions that you would like to say we are open to anything and everything! Thanks!!

Clay
      Clayton
      1994 Ford Taurus SHO MTX

Comment

I have so many DOHC parts...block, cams, carriers, intakes, etc. I don't have a complete 96 upper but I have an upper, and a broken lower (yipee). I have a good 96 upper but I think my only lower has a broken bolt hole in the flange area. Not sure how bad any more. Some parts are on wot-tech in the clearance section.
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Nice tear down. Yea, that is a dirty engine! Happen to get it all cleaned up when you put it back together?

I have a 96 Monte Carlo 3.4L DOHC Engine bay harness w/ injector harness, rear O2 wire harness, PCM and PCM box $125 shipped. Let me know. I also have the throttle cable. Like new throttle cable. I will throw it in for free if you happen to get the engine bay harness.

Comment

Let me know how the tuning goes with having OBD II and the 5spd.

I would change my car to OBD II if I could have it work fine with my Getrag.
            1991 Grand Prix STE
            3.4 DOHC
            1 of 792 Produced
            Extensive Mods Done

1991 Lumina Z34
            3.4 DOHC
            Getrag 284 5spd
            1 of 30
            Canadian Z34 Models Made with the Getrag 5spd Wahoooo!

1980 GMC Sierra Classic C25 With 18,000 ORIGINAL MILES!!!!

sigpic

Comment

Its fine, my 92 has this setup already.
              Ben
              60DegreeV6.com
              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by HayesPerformance View Post
                Let me know how the tuning goes with having OBD II and the 5spd.

I would change my car to OBD II if I could have it work fine with my Getrag.
                Its been done a bunch of times by l67 guys.

96 Z34 3.4 SC DOHC Getrag, 284 5sd manual transmission, stage 3spec clutch, 97 engine, 97 pcm, S3 intercooler 1 of 1 Roots SC LQ1 in the world 8.5 psi.

Comment

Well.. we cleaned up the garage tonight cause it was a PIT. ill up load some b4 adn after pix in a while.. IMHO were missing a lot of parts.. but well see what sam says!! :/
                  Clayton
                  1994 Ford Taurus SHO MTX

Comment

Ok.. we changed our minds

We decided to take the cradle out....again and tear the motor down again and do this right. Were going to get all new everything (other than block pistons crank etc..) new bearings seals rings gaskets etc tho. Were going to power wash the hell out of the 284 and get the block and heads hot tanked!! Ill have pix up tomorrow!
                    Clayton
                    1994 Ford Taurus SHO MTX

Comment

Yup. The day was spent cleaning up today, but tomorrow! Tomorrow will be spent... Yeah, tomorrow will probably be cleaning too.

BUT NEXT WEEK!

Hopefully we'll be down to a bare block next week, which will get loaded into the trunk of my car, and taken to Daly's to get hot tanked. The rest of the parts will get cleaned manually, before reassembly. Pics and info coming soon.
                      1994 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Special Edition, Black 5-Speed
                      1995 BMW 540i, Alpineweiss-III, 6-Speed
                      1995 BMW 540i, Schwarz-II, Automatic
                      2004 Honda 919, Light Silver Metallic, 6-Speed

Comment

Pix added

Here are some updates!

thats with the main caps off

We called it quits at 230 am! My goal for the night was to get the whole block torn apart.. We were short by 12 bolts! :/. Hopefully we can get it stripped all the way in the next few days and get it off the the machine shop for some cleaning!
                        Clayton
                        1994 Ford Taurus SHO MTX

Comment

sexxy
                          Shane "RedZMonte"
                          2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
                          1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
                          -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
                          2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
                          1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
                          1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
                          1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
                          1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

Nicely done sirs! I'm going to be watching this thread very closely

1992 Pontiac Grand Prix SE - black/charcoal, 3.4 DOHC, 5-speed, 171,xxx miles
                            1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - blue/charcoal, 3.4 DOHC, 5-speed, 153,xxx miles (parts car)

Comment

When it starts going back together, I would throw a 2x4 under that crank pulley so that stand doesn't collapse and take off someones toes making for a very bad evening. I have that same stand with a 95 engine on it and it leaned as well (but not that bad) and the 2x4 is how I fixed it. As long as mine has been on there I bet it would have broke the stand by now had I not put wood under the pulley.
                              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                              91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                              92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                              94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                              Originally posted by Jay Leno
                              Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Working...
                              X