Voltage blues again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voltage blues again

Yeah, car drove fine yesterday. Little rainy outside, no biggy. So, we are heading out to my buddies place last night, need to stop for beer. So, i pull into the gas station, and put the car in park, but didn't shut it off because my friend that was with me was only going to be inside for like a minute. Started to get hot, so I turned on the AC. No biggy, done this several hundred times before. Car acts normal. All of a sudden, my battery light flickers in the cluster. I look at my guage, the voltmeter is showing only about 1.5-11 volts. I'm like what the hell. This is abnormally low for my car. So, i turn off the AC, and shut my car off. I figure, eh, its been raining like hell, maybe a little water got on the belt. So, my friend gets back in the car, and i turn it back on after a few minutes. Still sitting at the same voltage. By this time, the rain has stopped, and where we had to drive was right across the street. So, I pull in there, and still figure wet belt.

Come out a few hours later, turn on the car, and its sitting around 11.5 volts or so. After a minute or two of running the car, the volt guage is creeping up to normal, so I figured it was fixed. Put the car in Reverse, the volts drop back down to where they was. I like what the hell.

Drive home, come upstairs, and go to bed. I figure, ok, somethings up, not sure what the fuck it is. Go outside a few minutes ago to go to work, still really low voltage. Car starts perfectly fine. Doesn't crank like hell if it was a low battery or anything.

So far, I have checked fuses, and grounds. I am in the current process of relocating the battery to body ground as I type. All other grounds are good.

As for voltage, i had the car running, and it was reading 12.04. Turned it off, and turned it back on, and it was sitting at 11.94, and staying current. No drop in the voltage.

Any ideas? If its the alt., I have it down to replacing it to 45 minutes, so do big deal.

Thanks,

Chris
    1992 Miata B Package
    1995 Regal 3100
    1996 Firebird LT1 T56

Ended up being the alt. Only took me (and I timed myself) 54:03:67. Thats' 54 minutes, 3.67 seconds. I think thats pretty good for a 3.4, eh?
    1992 Miata B Package
    1995 Regal 3100
    1996 Firebird LT1 T56

Comment

Pretty good? i would say you need to go into business.

GM charges 4 hours and 76 - 92 bucks for each hour on that.

Of course once you buy it they replace it for free (assuming the dealership doesn't go out of business, motherf*#&$)

Problem is the altenator is on the bottom, and the stator part hates water. Which is why in 94 or 95 they changed to the CS-130 which could handle it better. and in 1996 they put a second shield over it. Gee think they may have screwed up?

I am on altenator number 11 by the way, almost one a year.
      2014 Chevy Cruise LT
      2000 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja Motorcycle

Comment

Thats got to be a Record on swaping out the alt.!

I wish you lived near me as mine is getting old and it's in the cards that it will need replacing soon. I don't have a clue as to how to get to it and change it.

Another thought is you might want to Double check and make sure that
        your Power Fluid lines are not leaking and dripping on alt. as i heard that
        that will slowly destroy the alt. With the Fluctuating readings it might be something to check out!

Anyway, Great jod and i hope you used a Good AC/Delco for replacement, and not one of those Cheap Autozone or aftermarket
        brands as you might be doing it again in near future...Peace
        94 Lumina Z34
        Moved Wife & Kids Out So I Could Have More Room To Park Z34 In Livingroom.

Comment

I have about 2-3 spare delco alts. just sitting in my basement. I'll go through those then I'll start buying new ones.

As for going into business, it would be nice. That's if you guys want to drive you cars clear to Ohio to get an alt. done.

No leaks here. Just one bad place GM put the alt. I'm on #5 for the year. No leaks or anything. Just a bad place for an alternator.
          1992 Miata B Package
          1995 Regal 3100
          1996 Firebird LT1 T56

Comment

DAM!!! do you have some kind of Bad Ass sound System that might be overworking that alt? 5 is kinda rough...No wonder you got your changeout down to incredible time....Paul
            94 Lumina Z34
            Moved Wife & Kids Out So I Could Have More Room To Park Z34 In Livingroom.

Comment

I do work in car audio everyday, but no, no badass sound system. Just a CD player and a set of component speakers. Not even any rear 6x9's. Maybe higher compression has something to do with it, who knows.
              1992 Miata B Package
              1995 Regal 3100
              1996 Firebird LT1 T56

Comment

Working...
              X