Got bored.. again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got bored.. again

it was damn cold and i was tired of sitting around in the house... so i decided to see how well my Z would handle a cold start and some snow driving.

The team green LSD insert for the HM282 really makes a difference, I had no problems climbing the hilly streets around here (un-plowed and a little icey).

Past Builds;
    1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
    1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
    Current Project;
    1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

An inside shot of the handling in the snow would have made that clip that much better. Still pretty cool though!
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Sounds good. I'm just north of Des Moines in Ankeny and it's -4 with a wind chill of about 20 below. Sucks big time!

Mark.

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi View Post
        An inside shot of the handling in the snow would have made that clip that much better. Still pretty cool though!
        i thought about that but the mini-dvd in the camcorder was almost out of space. If i can find a blank one i'll add a bit more to the clip.

Thanks

*edit, i just went out for a while longer with a blank DVD.. the damn tripod was bouncing around so much that none of the video is worth posting.
        Last edited by Superdave; 12-21-2008, 04:36 PM.
        Past Builds;
        Current Project;

Comment

coming in the driveway=priceless.
          pretty cool vid though
          i like the beginning of the vid and then the 5 minutes later.

mines not covered in snow or ice but its prob gonna be a pain to start. its been sitting for a couple weeks without love.
          ive got about almost 2feet of snow to remove before i even think about bringin the car out. thats tomorrows project.
          sigpic
          99 Grand Am GT
          3400/3500 -Solid trans mount--TCE 65mm T-body---85mm LS2 maf---1 1/4' TCE intake spacers with 3400 upper--SLP Catback with flowmaster 80--TOG headers
          Modded 3400 lifters with LT1 springs---Comp Cams 26986 Springs
          1357 cam 227 233 .050 dur
          515 515 lift 112 lsa
          15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400---New time to come

Comment

Whats with the cold start problems? Does the cam make it hard? I would show you a vid of my Trooper in the snow but it is pretty much like driving when dry. Only now everyone is so slow I can easily pull out and pass them!
            1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
            1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
            Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Powwwaaaa Sliiiddeee w00t w00t!
              Links:
              WOT-Tech.com
              FaceBook
              Instagram

Comment

even mine was hard to start yesterday. had prob 11.8-12 volts took about a minute to start.
                sigpic
                99 Grand Am GT
                3400/3500 -Solid trans mount--TCE 65mm T-body---85mm LS2 maf---1 1/4' TCE intake spacers with 3400 upper--SLP Catback with flowmaster 80--TOG headers
                Modded 3400 lifters with LT1 springs---Comp Cams 26986 Springs
                1357 cam 227 233 .050 dur
                515 515 lift 112 lsa
                15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400---New time to come

Comment

Originally posted by betterthanyou View Post
                  Whats with the cold start problems? Does the cam make it hard? I would show you a vid of my Trooper in the snow but it is pretty much like driving when dry. Only now everyone is so slow I can easily pull out and pass them!
                  Yeah, my Trooper fires right up and is remarkably composed in the snow. New tires are awesome (BFG All-Terrain T/A KO).
                  '98 Volvo V90 - Ford 5.0 swap in progress
                  '96 LR Range Rover 4.6 HSE - suspiciously reliable
                  '92 Volvo 740 Wagon - former parts car, now daily-driver beater
                  '71 Opel Kadett Wagon - 1.9L CIH w/ Weber DGV 32/36, in bits

Comment

Originally posted by betterthanyou View Post
                    I think it's moreso the injectors that make it hard to start. I've reduced the cranking fuel PW tables down to almost nothing and maxed out the startup IAC position. It still floods and often i have to go 100% TPS to shut down the injectors.

I know that within the first sec of the key being on all 6 injectors fire a shot of fuel, I think that might be part of the problem. I haven't found anything for that in the bin file yet.

There is also another weird thing, after a few seconds of cranking the injector PW jumps from 2.5 ish up to 200+ Msec and then it really floods. I have yet to figure out what causes that. If I key off the ignition for a few seconds then try again, the PW goes back to normal.
                    Past Builds;
                    Current Project;

Comment

sounds great. yea, cavaliers are pretty fun in winter. try going a different direction when tuning your cranking PW tables. even a small improvement is better than how its starting now.

Comment

Hmm Interesting.... So it needs LESS fuel than when hot? I'd think it'd need more fuel when cold. Maybe it's not flooding, but just not starting due to lack of fuel, and the O2 is reading rich cause it's just pooling in the headers/exhaust.

Mine starts right up so as long as I turn it to ON, and wait for the voltage to climb on the gauge from the battery recovering from the fuel pump priming. That or it warms up a bit with the draw from the pump. Then I can crank it. Otherwise it sounds weak and it really drops down low on voltage. This is the 2nd new battery too. First one I put in before the cold really hit thinking I'd be smart and replace the 6 year old many a time deep cycled one since it was making the alt run super hot. Yeah it died the first time cold weather hit and swelled up... I had to wait 4 days before the ice melted to get the hood open to get it out! LOL. New one is doing good though now so far.

But as far as the engine firing up, no sweat. Even un-tuned but it's only got 3400 lower and 3500 upper on which aren't enough to affect idle/start up of course. Purs like a kitten. Probably quieter than when I bought the car since now the timing chain/guide are silent. I love these engines!
                        Last edited by IsaacHayes; 12-24-2008, 01:09 AM.
                        sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                        1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                        16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                        Original L82 Longblock
                        with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                        Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Fuel does atomize as well in a cold engine, so the ECU compensates by enriching the mix on a cold start. I just read that in the tuning book I started this week.
                          '98 Volvo V90 - Ford 5.0 swap in progress
                          '96 LR Range Rover 4.6 HSE - suspiciously reliable
                          '92 Volvo 740 Wagon - former parts car, now daily-driver beater
                          '71 Opel Kadett Wagon - 1.9L CIH w/ Weber DGV 32/36, in bits

Comment

Right, you need more fuel when it's colder.
                            sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                            1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                            16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                            Original L82 Longblock
                            with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                            Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Working...
                            X