No announcement yet.

'96 Century general project thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is an LX9 "3500", which is a 3.5L variant of the 60 degree Chevy V6. This particular one came from a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu, with 116k miles according to LKQ. This 3.5, unlike the later ones, is based on the 3.4L "3400" LA1, with updated head and intake designs, and gaskets that won't fail like the earlier Chevy engines. The later 3.5s are a smaller displacement version of the 3.9L, so they have variable valve timing and E85 capability, which are very difficult to make work in older cars.

This engine is not really plug-and-play. I have had to order the 3500 swap kit and 1997 PCM from Milzy Motorsports. Mike spent almost two hours on the phone with me, ironing out all the details of this swap, making sure the computer would be programmed how I wanted it, doing up a custom throttle body, and all that. He also said that, if there were interest in the A-body community, he might put together a swap kit specifically for A-bodies, using my car as the prototype!

Particulars of swapping this engine into my car, in no particular order:
    • I will not be using the LX9 upper intake. It is wholly incompatible with my car. It lacks three vacuum nipples I need, for the HVAC, MAP sensor, and vacuum modulator for the transmission. I will be using an LG8 "3100" upper, which is what Oklahoma used in his top end swap.
    • Since I'm not using the 3500 upper, I will not be using three parts from the swap kit: throttle body adapter, coil pack adapters, and MAP adapter pigtail.
    • I'm also using an LG8 front valve cover I got from a yard off of a Malibu, which has a GM Goodwrench crate motor sticker on it proclaiming it to be a 3.1L.
    • I will have to use my stock exhaust, since the downpipe is routed differently than any other car/engine.
    • The throttle body will be from an LA1, modified by Mike to (hopefully) be plug-and-play with my stock cables.
    • I will be using my stock fuel rail with 24 pound ACCEL injectors that are the same "fat" design as my stock injectors. The newer "thin" injectors have different connectors, and they are too tall to fit under my stock rail.

I'm sure more will come up once I yank the stock engine and start transferring over parts. Look for that in the coming days.
    Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 213-SFI. 250k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!

Comment

Your 3100 exhaust manifolds are smaller, so it would be better to come up with another down pipe for the 3500 manifolds.
      95 Beretta 3100 with 3400 intakes and TCE TB
      High flow cat and a Magnaflow muffler
      Grand Prix trans with 3.33FDR

Comment

Originally posted by Purple pit View Post
        Your 3100 exhaust manifolds are smaller, so it would be better to come up with another down pipe for the 3500 manifolds.
        I also have to use my stock exhaust for emissions purposes.
        Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 213-SFI. 250k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!

Comment

A good exhaust shop should be able to build a down pipe for you and put some bends in to match up to the stock exhaust. I know that you must keep the converter.

Comment

I intend no offence when I say this: The name of the game is "budget". There is no room in my budget for all the things that "would be better". I have a broken engine in my car, and this LX9 was more cost-effective and a better value than a stock replacement. Sure, I would love to be able to drop $4200 in WOT-Tech's coffers for intake-heads-cam, and stimulate my local economy by having a custom exhaust fabbed and the cam installed, but I can't. Thank you for your input.

I have removed parts from my new engine that I won't be using or aren't compatible with my car, like the upper intake, exhaust manifolds, EGR valve, fuel rail, idler pulley that's in the way of my power steering pump, the heater pipe that runs across the valve cover, and the like. Most of these parts will be offered for sale at a later date, if anyone is interested. I also test-fitted a 3400 upper I had laying around, and was satisfied with the result.

Parts unrelated to the engine swap are starting to trickle in. As I said earlier in the thread, the '96 and older U-body vans share most suspension components with my car, so I ordered bare van struts, variable-rate car springs, car mounts, and car spring seats. Also on the way are new bushings for the van sway bar I already have installed. New KYB Gas-A-Just shocks will round out the rear. When I need to haul or tow, I have some Monroe Load Assist shocks, which have a 25 lb helper spring. At some later time, I will also replace the rear springs with variable-rate springs, and see about control arm bushings for the front, as the budget will allow.

Comment

Just was thinking it was something that you felt was not needed. Though it would be very helpful, things are the way they are. Lets just say it's something for later down the road. These engines need all the help they can get when it comes to exhaust.

Comment

Bought some GR-2 shocks for a friend at Rock Auto. Didn't know at the time that they sent the wrong ones. They are 343160. I think you can use them, but double check the number. If you can use them they will be sent to you for free. Don't need them and don't want them sitting around.

Comment

Looks like those will work for my car! Thank you very much. I will send you a PM with my information.

Comment

Got the PM and sent one back. I'm happy that you can use them!

Comment

I picked up an LG8 upper intake from the yard. I will probably take it to a machine shop to be checked for cracks and have the EGR passage cleaned. I have no idea why I didn't get the EGR valve and stove pipe at the same time. I also put on the Goodwrench front valve cover. Can't even tell it's not a 3.1!

Comment

Think I have another 3100 big port upper if that one doesn't work out. Sorry that I didn't bring that up sooner, but you did get the bolts that I don't have.

Comment

If you get the WOT-Tech EGR adapter you can use your stock EGR and pipe. Because you are going to use your stock exhaust manifolds this should be a great help. I know it works, got the same adapter on my 3400 intake swap on the 3100.

Comment

If you get the WOT-Tech EGR adapter you can use your stock EGR and pipe. Because you are going to use your stock exhaust manifolds this should be a great help. I know it works, got the same adapter on my 3400 intake swap on the 3100.
                            WOT-Tech hasn't sold the 96-99 adapter for a number of years, as far as I know. I have the new style EGR anyway. I will have to figure something out, I suppose.

I fought with one of the springs for my struts for the better part of two hours on Sunday. Maybe it was the spring compressor set I rented from Autozone, but I wasn't able to get the spring scrunched down enough to put it on the strut and bolt on the mount. I looked at getting a "clamshell" style compressor, but every one I saw online said it was only useable on springs up to 7 inches in diameter, and mine are 8. Any suggestions?
                            Last edited by LeftVentricle; 03-02-2016, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Could you just use your old pipe?

Wish I could help. Had a hell of a time with the struts on the Beretta. It came down to having a person with a good amount of body weight to compress it just low enough to get the nut on. Been thinking about another set of compressors(for a total of four) to get the job done. With that said, no one else chimed in to say that they had the same problem or how they do it. Guess everyone just has one of the bench mounted compressors that cost a lot. Or they take the parts to a small shop to have them done. Not really an option for me on that one.
                              Last edited by Purple pit; 03-03-2016, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Could you just use your old pipe?

Wish I could help. Had a hell of a time with the struts on the Beretta. It came down to having a person with a good amount of body weight to compress it just low enough to get the nut on. Been thinking about another set of compressors(for a total of four) to get the job done. With that said, no one else chimed in to say that they had the same problem or how they do it. Guess everyone just has one of the bench mounted compressors that cost a lot. Or they take the parts to a small shop to have them done. Not really an option for me on that one.
                                I don't know about my stock EGR pipe. I will check on that.

I got some joking suggestions over at Something Awful like "lots of zip ties" and use the weight of the car, with disclaimers to not actually do any of that.

I feel like if this were another Fiero or Camaro or W-body or Grand Am thread, it would be getting more attention. It's just some old man station wagon. And that's fine. I'm not documenting this on this site to have my ego stroked.
                                Last edited by LeftVentricle; 03-03-2016, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X