'96 Century general project thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LeftVentricle View Post
    Since the site is back up, I thought I'd give everyone a quick update, even though there isn't much to tell.
    Hi Daniel.

Glad the site is back up!

As for the transmission shifting points - normally whenever my '65E starts acting up, it's the throttle position sensor. The controller looks at road speed and throttle position to determine when to shift. Sounds like your throttle position sensor may not be giving accurate signals.

Since mine is an LG3 engine - those have a fairly poorly designed TPS and last only about a year. I can always tell when it's about to fail, because it starts shifting inconsistently - then it starts running funky and hesitating and then finally it gives error code for TPS and then shifts only 1 through 3 (at a fixed speed). I know yours is a different ECM and trans, but I thought this might give you another point to check out.

David Allen - Northport, AL
    1986 Century T-Type, Iron Head 3.1 MPFI Turbo-Intercooled
    1988 Olds Ciara XC, GenII 2.8 MPFI Turbo-Intercooled
    1972 Chevy Nova, 305 Small Block V8 EFI
    1984 Century Olympia, 3.8SFI Turbo, over 400 HP
    http://home.hiwaay.net/~davida1
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/turbokinetic

Comment

Sorted! Runs great now.

Basically, I'm a bonehead. First, it turns out that I was misinformed about the wiring modification to the MAF connector. The P0102 went away after I swapped the wires back to the stock positions. The EVAP code is gone because I replaced the torn vacuum elbow on one of the solenoids. The crank sensor code is gone with the replacement of the 24x sensor. I also found out I had a fuel leak. The fuel pressure regulator was leaking externally somehow. Luckily, I had some foresight and bought one a few months ago. Swapped that and no more leak. The transmission was shifting funky, and at the suggestion of an A-body member (davida1_hiwaay_net), I replaced the throttle position sensor. I probably didn't need to, since I found that my wiring splice had come apart, so I taped that back together and the transmission acts right again. Couldn't hurt, right?

After getting the MAF, EVAP, TPS and CPS codes handled the computer could stop freaking out and finally tell me that there was, in fact, a misfire, of the random/multiple variety, with flashing SES light! P0300! The only time I've had a flashing SES is when I didn't put the spark plug wires on the coils in the right order. That held true this time too. Turns out I had the #2 and #6 wires crossed. With that back in order, I burned the front tires pulling out of my driveway. George is back!

I put about 80 miles on the car this evening, long enough for the computer to figure its shit out and let me know that the engine is running lean. P0171, bank 1 lean. But since there's only one oxygen sensor for the whole engine, that would mean it's running lean all over, yeah?

That aside, it ran great, as well as it did before I wrecked the stock engine. It doesn't seem to have any more power than stock though. That might be down to the gearing in the transmission still being tall, or the smaller LG8 intake and stock exhaust being hooked up to the engine. And unless my gauge isn't reading correctly anymore, it seems to be consuming a lot of fuel, though that might go together with the lean condition? I will fill it up tomorrow and get an economy figure in a few days.
      Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 213-SFI. 250k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!

Comment

Nice to see David back.

You could have an injector problem on bank one(sticky, not opening all the way). The intakes you have on there are right size for that engine. They are the large port 3100 and are the same as the 3400 intakes. Guess you could try some Sea Foam in the tank or just and injector replacement(if you can find out which one is doing it).
        95 Beretta 3100 with 3400 intakes and TCE TB
        High flow cat and a Magnaflow muffler
        Grand Prix trans with 3.33FDR

Comment

One of the potential causes of a P0171, along with some sort of vacuum leak, is a bad oxygen sensor. I ordered one for $22 from Rock Auto. Even if that doesn't fix it, I have every reason to believe the front O2 sensor is original to the car. Couldn't hurt, right?
          Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 213-SFI. 250k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!

Comment

209.3 miles, 10.326 gallons of gasoline. 20.3 miles per gallon. I have been, uh, let's say
            "indulging myself"
            with regards to my newfound power. That is an approximate 60/40 highway/city mix, with spirited acceleration. So not terrible, honestly. The new oxygen sensor should help that a bit, as will me not giving it the beans so much.

Comment

If you are still running lean it's best to take it easy until the problem is fixed. That can make some major damage if it's too lean.

Comment

Hi.

"New" wheels for George. The GM Legos at play in this car grow ever larger. They are from a 1998 Chevrolet Malibu, with center caps from a 1997 Buick LeSabre. I've had these wheels for something like nine years, and they've been on a couple of cars I've had in the past, including my van. They live, they die, they live again.

Comment

Do they have less weight than the stockers? Looks as if they came with the car or should have. Seems a bit taller!

Comment

They're the same size as the '97 Lumina steel wheels I took off. Much lighter. I had Discount Tire swap the tires over for me. Also, the car desperately needs a bath.

Comment

• 3/4 second improvement over stock.

Comment

• Wheels look good! As for the track time... I would have thought it would be in the 15's or 14's. Working on the 60' alone should get you 16's. What are you running for exhaust on the car?
                        1999 Olds Alero 2.4 to 3500 swap (running). totaled by a honda
                        1992 lumina 4 door 3500 3spd auto 15.020 @93.5 mph
                        1984 Cavalier type 10 hatch 3100 5spd!!!
                        14.96@91.47 in the 1/4
                        9.63@74.36 in the 1/8th
                        14.30 on slicks! scrapped due to rust!

Comment

• Completely stock exhaust for the Century, for two reasons.
                          —First, this was intended to be a budget or sleeper build, so combined with the LG8 upper and stock Century air cleaner, yeah, this engine is choked a bit. Running the Malibu manifolds was never a viable option for me, since I would need to find a crossover and have a new exhaust made from the manifolds back. As this is back to being a daily driver, reliability and fuel economy come first, and using the Century exhaust does help with that. I've been getting pretty much the same fuel economy as the stock engine, which is great. About 19 to 20 in the city.
                          —Second, I live in a county that does emissions testing, so I need it to pass the visual inspection. Most smog techs probably won't know the differences between the L82 and LG8 intakes, but the LX9 intake (apart from necessitating modifications for vacuum purposes and having a different EGR pipe) would likely flag my car as being swapped. I'd rather not deal with the DMV about that.

As for the track time, as I said, it is better than the stock time. Improvement is always good. Reducing the 60' means upgrading things like the transmission (garbage), tires (treadwear 600), suspension (old man soft), and the driver's skill (old man soft). Weight reduction could be thrown in there too, since both the stock 18.34 and this time were run on a full interior. I didn't even dump the jack and spare, and had 15 gallons of fuel on board.

Comment

• Originally posted by LeftVentricle View Post
                            They're the same size as the '97 Lumina steel wheels I took off. Much lighter. I had Discount Tire swap the tires over for me. Also, the car desperately needs a bath.
                            Always good to drop some rotational weight.

Comment

• Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 213-SFI. 250k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!

Comment

• Good news everyone! I partially participated in the Roadkill Zip Ties event. I drove out to Irwindale Speedway in the wagon. It got 27 mpg, which is slightly lower than its EPA rating, but still good. They even took and posted a picture of my lame-o dad wagon on their website! I spoke briefly with Freiburger about my car and he was "impressed" that I did all the research and work myself. Even if he was just blowing smoke up my ass, it's nice to hear.

There was a lot of really cool stuff out there, which I may post about later on. I was probably the only 60 degree V6 car out there though, so I had that going for me. I had to break off and head home after the lunch stop in Blythe though, so I didn't get the full Roadkill experience. Still had a great time.

Then, of course, the fun has to be tempered. The bad news: at some point overnight Friday, someone who doesn't know how to drive hit my other car.

It is normally parked where all the oil stains are, probably at least ten feet away.

Various bits of their lights, and tire marks.

The damage, which is... surprisingly minimal, considering how far the car had been pushed.

I'm not allowed to have nice things, I guess. I could have filed a police report, but they wouldn't investigate it. The police report would be for presenting to my insurance company when I file a claim, but I only carry minimum required insurance because it's a 25-year-old Century. So I instead get to seethe with impotent rage at some random dickhead who can't be bothered to even leave a note saying "sorry I hit your car" or even "why the fuck was your car parked in my way".
                                Last edited by LeftVentricle; 01-15-2017, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X