Modificaton results for the Achieva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modificaton results for the Achieva

I managed to get 5 passes in for the night of T&T at Dragway 42 last night.

I ran a 14.791 a 14.796, a 14.794, a 14.792, and finally a 14.792 again, in that order. She's all over the board! No where near consistent! I'm very disappointed.

RT's weren't much better: .009, .010, .005, .002, -.001

I was having a bad night.

Too top it off....

At the beginning of the season she would burn a nice posi burn in the box.
    Then occasionally she would lose the posi and swap from wheel to wheel. About 1 out of 10 times she would lose her posi. Well, last night she swapped wheel spin twice and one wheeled the other 3 times. Not once did she posi. Something finally wore out. POS 4T60e, it only lasted 140k miles of abuse and 2 years of drag racing! Why can't GM make a decent trans!?

So time after time I left the line spinning, and not able to heat up proper.

Then she got temperamental too. Once she did her first pass, she decided to have hard start problems. Like heavy timing advance starting on an old school carb motor. After the last pass, 160 deg temp, i pulled up to the ticket booth to get my ticket and she sat there in neutral with a new problem, variable idle!! WTF!!!??? dropped to 450 at one point caught herself, rev'd 1200, dropped 500, etc.. ruuRRR, ruuRRR, ruuRRR. <SIGH>

i cleared her throat, ran her to the staging lanes, dropped neutral, she did it again, then stopped doing it. WTF!!!??? Data log shows stable TPS voltage. And still hard start. I called it a night, back to pits, something is wrong, time to go home.

I went home disappointed that my transmission problems/ er diff problems, kept me from traction and not the faster runs I wanted. Before her hiccups she felt stronger. Maybe the extra power is why I ain't biting. She's long over-due for real rubber and actual posi.

I will say, I got a lot of attention last night. My wife told me even the announcer in the tower was talking up my Achieva. I had 2 guys come over and say, "Bro! What is the story with this Achieva!? I had one and it NEVER ran like this one does!" They all seem shocked that its just a FAFB converter, some P&P work, and thats basically it.

I got laughed at by some smart-ass kid in an plymouth laser. He passed me on the freeway, remember I tow bar my car to the track, he goes by points at me, laughs hysterically, gives me the bird, and drives off. Nice guy. I ran against some mid-80's camaro with a huge scoop on the hood, he ran a high 16. Pathetic. I ran a 'stang too. I guess he was really trying, he was telling his friends, "He did a 3800 swap, 'cause that's the only way he could have beat me!" Then guess who was at the track?! The dumb kid in the laser! My wife points out the laser going by in the pits to the staging lanes. I hurry up jump in the Achieva and run up the lanes. I'm 4 cars back from him. I get out, walk up to him and his buddies hanging around with the hood up. They get real quiet and try to look elsewhere other then at me, the guy he gave the finger too an hour ago. I walked up, looked at his all stock, and VERY dirty engine bay, snorted, and walked away. It was amazing that every time I would make sure i was along side him or one of his friends cars they would have an excuse to go back to the pits or arrange for someone else to run me.

My wife said people laugh when i pull up to the burn-out box, they stop laughing when i nail it and smoke 'em up. So not bad. I'm having fun with my 14 sec car. Really wanted 13's before the end of the year. Oh well, I'll just have to go for 12's next year. This was my last track event this year for me. I'm not going to push her anymore till i get the trans built, posi in her, 3500 heads, cam, and finally get the comp right with ben's chip and an APU1. So tranny guys, be aware, I will be picking your old posts and brains over the next few months. Peace!

PS. please note the sarcasm in the top of the letter. I was happy about how consistent she is.
    sigpicHow to make High performance Emissions:
    A "true" High flow converter, straight pipe.
    Low/No flow EGR valve, block off plate.
    Carbon canister and purge valve mod, place in large 30 Gallon can, cover, and place curbside, the city will do the rest.
    PCV valve and vent tube, reroute to exhaust to dump where it belongs, on the ground. Or add breathers and let it all free.

for a while, it looked like you were pissed about a .005 second gap in between the highest and lowest ETs...
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I ain't that picky......yet.

Oh my daughter got some great footage on her cell phone of my first pass, it looked cool, sounded cool, too bad she one wheeled, but i was able to see the suspension reaction from launch, and she launched decent too! It's weird watching yourself drag race.
      Carbon canister and purge valve mod, place in large 30 Gallon can, cover, and place curbside, the city will do the rest.
      PCV valve and vent tube, reroute to exhaust to dump where it belongs, on the ground. Or add breathers and let it all free.

Comment

So just PnP 3400 with high stall and the 3500 UIM stuff and whack 2.5" dumptube exhaust?

Any weight reduction?
        sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
        1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
        16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
        Original L82 Longblock
        with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
        Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

the 75mm TB from an Aurora 4.0.

lost the guts to the rear bumper, the exhaust, and spare tire/jack, then weighed her at Norwalk dragway, at 2560 lbs, sans driver.

Since then, all sound proofing and padding, except whats under the carpet removed, carpet in trunk, all a/c gear, heater core, venting, duct work, etc... little electrical boxes idk what they are or do; are gone. hmmm, oh wipers, wiper motor and trans, cruise, and anything else that i didn't need to run removed. So i think maybe down to 2450? maybe 2400 but thats it.

Comment

I hope your not serious about the 4t60e complaint either...

I wonder how much better my ET would be if I shaved off over 400lbs... My 13.996 I did with my old brake setup I weighed in a 3040... Now that I've added 25lbs of rotor weight I'm still trying to figure the car out. I've only run it 6 time at two different strips too... I guess that doesnt help

Got Lope?
            3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
            Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
            Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
            12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

that acheiva weighs 1000 lbs less than the MC..... wow.
              1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
              Latest nAst1 files here!
              Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
                I hope your not serious about the 4t60e complaint either...
                Ya that was jk too. 140k and 2 seasons of racing and its just now getting finicky? People say bad things about TH's, I think they did decent with this one.

Comment

Dude, start braket racing with lights like that. You'd literally win the price you paid for that car and mods in a couple weeks.

Well done.
                  11.92 @ 122 MPH 3400 91 Cavalier Z24 Intercooled S/C. -totalled-
                  10.56 @ 130 MPH 3900 LZ9 87 IROC Z28 Intercooled GT4088 Turbo

Comment

Thank you. And that was the plan till I couldn't afford the fuel for the S-10 2.2L tow truck to tow me to the track. And I contribute the better RT's to a solid dogbone. I can feel it better.

Comment

damn, i wish i was that consistent. Guess i need an auto trans, lol
                      Past Builds;
                      1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                      1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                      Current Project;
                      1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by Superdave View Post
                        damn, i wish i was that consistent. Guess i need an auto trans, lol
                        Kiss the 13.08 good bye if you went that route... LOL

Got Lope?
                        3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                        Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                        Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                        12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

I finally got my daughter to upload her video of my first pass on tuesday night. Not bad for a cell phone, and it recorded it in MPEG-4.

95sleeperacheiva's achieva wiping the floor with a 80's camaro.

tell me if this don't work, it's a first for me.

Comment

i don't know if it sounds funny because it was from a cell phine, or it was because i'm only hearing half the cylinders, but thats an EPIC win..... beating on third-gens....

BTW: i was viewer #1...
                            Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

What was your mph? What is the best time on the car?
                              1999 Olds Alero 2.4 to 3500 swap (running). totaled by a honda
                              1992 lumina 4 door 3500 3spd auto 15.020 @93.5 mph
                              1984 Cavalier type 10 hatch 3100 5spd!!!
                              14.96@91.47 in the 1/4
                              9.63@74.36 in the 1/8th
                              14.30 on slicks! scrapped due to rust!

Comment

Working...
                              X