3.1 V6 Turbo build in Beretta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.1 V6 Turbo build in Beretta

So i am thinking about to go turbo too if i am not swappin to 3x00 engine. But i would like to know some things first if i go turbo.
    First would be i want to make this looking pretty much stock, i know grand prix's came with 3.1 turbo, so i would like to get the parts off of this engine. so does anyone know for how much the turbo parts go?
    How much psi does a stock 3.1 turbo run? I did some searches and found out they run at about 7-8psi stock?
    How much psi can i run with a stock engine? I thought about 10-14psi... I would like to shot for somewhere around 230-300hp if possible. Also would do some engine mods to make the engine more solid more higher boost. Are there any performace parts for that turbo engine and can i run this on stock ecm?

Good luck getting GPT parts. Very hard to come by as only 2000 were made.

If you want to have stable boost, do not use a 3.1. 3500 will be much better because it is a stronger motor (cracked powder-forged connecting rods stock).

Comment

Originally posted by HOYS View Post
      Good luck getting GPT parts. Very hard to come by as only 2000 were made.

If you want to have stable boost, do not use a 3.1. 3500 will be much better because it is a stronger motor (cracked powder-forged connecting rods stock).
      um, ok. if u read his post he doesnt want to swap. there is NOTHING wrong with boosting a 3.1l. finding these parts will be tough, but not impossible, your goal hp is to high using a factory turbo grand prix turbocharger. plugging off the rear manifold and building a custom crossover with a bigger t3/t4 would be a better idea. with a great tune 10psi would be very maintainable.
      [SIGPIC]
      12.268@117... 11's to come!
      turbo 3400: 358whp and 365tq at 9 psi
      ASE Master Technician. GM Certified.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ibU1k8UZoo
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUqJyopd720

Comment

There were more than 2000 TGPs. There were more turbo STEs than that even.

The stock ECM will work for boost with the TGP chip code but you will have to check the wiring because I think some of the wires are different. The 3.1 is great for boost, but if you can swap to 3100 pistons, the quench would allow a higher threshold for boost, despite the slight increase in compression from 8.9:1 to 9.5:1. There is nothing wrong with the bottom end either. The problem with making lots of power is in the intake manifolds, which the boost helps overcome but will generate more heat as the airflow turns into higher boost levels. A newer motor would make more power and lower boost. If you want to go for tons of boost, forged rods and pistons are available along with cometic head gaskets and ARP head studs and rod bolts.
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Thanks guys and thanks Ben, thats very helpfull. I can get a crossover, rear and front manifold from a turbo 3x00. From what i know these manifolds will fit the 2.8 and 3.1 too... that stuff will be around $280. but without the turbo... what turbo is stock? i think T25? What turbo should i get to run some more psi than stock? i guess a T28 would be good too? From what i know the TGPs are about 7psi stock and made just alittle over 200hp right? How much boost can i run with my stock 3.1 without problems and still pretty reliable? After thinking about, I would be happy with somewhere between 200 and 250hp too.

Comment

Also, how good are the stock injectors of my 3.1, will i need bigger ones if i go boost or are they fine? Do the TGPs had bigger injectors?
            Last edited by michael; 05-24-2011, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by michael View Post
              Also, how good are the stock injectors of my 3.1, will i need bigger ones if i go boost or are they fine? Do the TGPs had bigger injectors?
              if i recall, the 3.1 multi port had 17 lb/hr injectors. if this is the case, you'd be at a very high duty cycle (maxing them out) at around 165whp (with an automatic), which would be a little over 205 crank hp. Ideally you want to run injectors at around a 60-70% duty cycle at WOT. I would recommend the 36's out of the 3800 gtp's. Don't forget to have the ecu tuned for them.

it\'s stock, yeah

Comment

Thanks guys and thanks Ben, thats very helpfull. I can get a crossover, rear and front manifold from a turbo 3x00. From what i know these manifolds will fit the 2.8 and 3.1 too... that stuff will be around $280. but without the turbo... what turbo is stock? i think T25? What turbo should i get to run some more psi than stock? i guess a T28 would be good too? From what i know the TGPs are about 7psi stock and made just alittle over 200hp right? How much boost can i run with my stock 3.1 without problems and still pretty reliable? After thinking about, I would be happy with somewhere between 200 and 250hp too.
                the T25 is tiny, the T28 is just barely larger... if you want to stay with the T25 style flange, then i think the GT3071/3076 was as large as you could go?

yes, TGPs have larger injectors, 23.2 lb/hr according to the BINs.

Originally posted by MilzyZ34 View Post
                if i recall, the 3.1 multi port had 17 lb/hr injectors. if this is the case, you'd be at a very high duty cycle (maxing them out) at around 165whp (with an automatic), which would be a little over 205 crank hp. Ideally you want to run injectors at around a 60-70% duty cycle at WOT. I would recommend the 36's out of the 3800 gtp's. Don't forget to have the ecu tuned for them.
                close, 16.7 lb/hr for 3.1s, and ~17.4-17.6 for the 93-99 3100s. the 3.1 injectors won't even run to 200 HP at the crank, i get near 80% duty cycles on just a stock LH0. i have setup a TGP with 26 lb/hr injectors to run 14 PSI with a peak duty cycle of near 80%, so 36 may be a bit overkill unless some significant airflow improvements happen, or if E85 was run.
                1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                Latest nAst1 files here!
                Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I think i would get an T28 charger at first. Maybe i will go larger if i decide to build the engine, especially for higher rpms. Will the engine be reliable with 10psi of boost? And where can i get 26lb injectors that fit my engine?
                  Maybe i would do some head work to have some more airflow but right now i will keep the engine stock. If i build the engine i will do it with a cam, port job and performance parts to run more psi than 10.

Comment

I wouldn't use a T28. GT35 or a T04B/T04E would be a better choice most likely. L67 injectors are 33.5# and would be good for 300 whp. http://wot-tech.com/shop/gm-60v6/36-.../prod_309.html You could use less injector though if you aren't going to push that much boost on a 3.1. They drop right in with the correct connector though so that is a plus. The stock TGP came with 23 or 24# injectors for comparison. Tuning wouldn't be hard if you have an ALDL cable and Tunerpro (plus a chip burner or the ostrich setup). Not too expensive to get the hardware from moates.net and tunerpro.net.
                    Ben
                    60DegreeV6.com
                    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

That sound pretty good but do you know how much boost my stock 3.1 can handle? I have ALDL cable and tunerpro. But my friends (mostly all of them got turbo cars) told me Apexi AVC-R would be good to tune this car(boost). First i will get all parts together and like you said, it wont be that challenge to tune this car, thanks ben!
                      Last edited by michael; 05-24-2011, 04:14 PM.

Comment

that's only a boost controller, it won't compensate for injector sizing. besides, the TGP code can control a wastegate already, so no need to pay for something you already have.

i've dealt with stock 3.1s running 14PSI before without issues.
                        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                        Latest nAst1 files here!
                        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

An Apexi AVC-R is just a boost controller. It doesn't do anything to tune the car. You still need to tell the ECM how to handle the boost and how much fuel to give the engine for a given situation in RPM, Throttle, ect. That's where tuning comes in.

Edit: Ninja'd by the ninja master Robert, lol.
                          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                          91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                          92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                          94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                          Originally posted by Jay Leno
                          Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

I boosted my 3100v6 and I was a noob to the stuff. Just be carefull, research everything and assume nothing.....and patience.

I use the 36 lb/hr L67 3.8L injectors. They end up around 34.4 lb/hr under the 3100 fuel pressure (41-47psi) while the 3800 is around (48-55psi). I push them up to 60-70% duty cycle under boost. Stock injectors simply will not cut it and you are risking melting your pistons. You may get away with a few lbs of boost, but that is pushing it.

Plus the 36 lb/hr injectors still idle just fine as the IPW is just above the minimal during idle at 700 RPM. They barely make it so anything larger will cause idle issues.

Because of that, I feel the 36 lb/hr injectors are perfect. They will allow for the most additional power w/o suffering idle issues.

I have pushed up to 360-380 ft/lbs with the T04E .50/.63 at about 8psi of boost. I highly recommend the T04E 50 trim (same as mine used) and there is another just above that which is great for 3400's.

Comment

Thanks Schmieder. What i wonder is how long do you use that T04E turbo already? I googled that turbocharger and the costs for that turbo seems to be pretty cheap. I just have seen that are garrett or holset turbos are $1500+ so i am not sure if i am just fine with that turbo you recommend or not since i dont want to change the turbo every 5000 miles or something, lol. Dont get me wrong, i am just looking for good stuff to keep my engine reliable and dont have much experience with turbochargers, thats why i ask
                              As for the tuning, i have a guy that also could tune my car, even on a dyno to get best results.
                              I will get 3800 injectors like you guys said and also thinking about to get a nice port/polish job on heads/intake and a possible a bigger throttle body to help the engine breathe.

Comment

Working...
                              X