06 Monte Carlo Turbo Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timg View Post
    The company I work for bought a Korean turbo blower manufacturer. They have a centrifugal compressor with integral electric motor (industrial applications that cost more than most cars). It is possible to make one for a car that's 100% electric, but it takes a lot more effort than e-bay and Chinese knock-off companies put into it.

BMW's effort of mixed electric and exhaust drive sounds like a nice compromise, though one that may be overly complicated.

Tim
    They mentioned 2014 as a date to look for, BMW's hybrid turbo. Gotta note, not 100% electric...it just used the electric motor to rapidly spool the turbo under load. When the motor catches up in RPM's the turbo over runs the electric motor and turns it into a generator. The resistance restricts the turbo (adjustable by clutch I think) and allows no wastegate to be used.

I really want one when they come out. I wonder how expensive it could be.

Sorry for the thread jack
    1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

Originally posted by TGP37 View Post
      They mentioned 2014 as a date to look for, BMW's hybrid turbo. Gotta note, not 100% electric...it just used the electric motor to rapidly spool the turbo under load. When the motor catches up in RPM's the turbo over runs the electric motor and turns it into a generator. The resistance restricts the turbo (adjustable by clutch I think) and allows no wastegate to be used.

Sounds like a new type of electric hybrid BMW may have.

Comment

I bet it won't have a clutch. It will have like an electric brake, like a chop saw, electric drill, etc. The brake makes more sense, less parts to fail.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
        Originally posted by Jay Leno
        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Damn just busted the trans. Don't know what yet just got it home, I was only 2 blocks away when it broke.

Comment

Originally posted by bearbear3_4 View Post
            If my trans doesnt take a dump I'd be disappointed, means I'm not pushing it hard enough.

Damn just busted the trans. Don't know what yet just got it home, I was only 2 blocks away when it broke.
            Success!

At least it was close to home.

-60v6's 2nd Jon M.
            91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
            92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
            94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
            Originally posted by Jay Leno
            Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
              Success!

At least it was close to home.

Lol I'm disappointed it was just leaving my house and not really pushing it.

Comment

Lol I'm disappointed it was just leaving my house and not really pushing it.
                Play Taps, bury it and move onto greener pastures. Manual swap time? or spend a mint on a reinforced auto?

Ya, too bad you didn't get to blow half the trans into the pavement going 120mph with your hair on fire....lol
                1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

Play Taps, bury it and move onto greener pastures. Manual swap time? or spend a mint on a reinforced auto?

Ya, too bad you didn't get to blow half the trans into the pavement going 120mph with your hair on fire....lol
                  Spend a mint on a reinforced auto

Here is the offending part.

Comment

i take it that's the chain drive shaft?

i can't think of much else that has 2 identical sprockets next to each other.
                    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                    Latest nAst1 files here!
                    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Yep its the input shaft.

Comment

Funny, when mine died a decade ago it also shattered the input shaft. I'll bet that's not the only carnage inside the transmission though. Good luck with the rebuild.

Tim
                        1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
                        325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

Originally posted by timg View Post
                          Funny, when mine died a decade ago it also shattered the input shaft. I'll bet that's not the only carnage inside the transmission though. Good luck with the rebuild.

Tim
                          I hope it's the only damage, just waiting on gaskets to put it all back together.

Comment

I apologize in advance for unburying an old thread, but I am so determined to turbocharge my 3900 Impala, that I searched for your build. There's a lot of useful information in here, even though I'm having a hard time keeping up with the acronyms (had to google search most of them).

I wanted to see how the Monte has been years later after boosting her. I know you're using her as a DD, as will I, so this build of yours is basically my blueprint. Do you mind sharing your parts list? I'm curious because I noticed you started off with a small turbo running 5psi, and then went to a bigger turbo to run 3 pounds more. I would like to run 8-10psi, so should I skip the smaller turbo you had, and go straight to the larger one? How efficient was running your IC behind the driver's side fog light. We share the same nose, so if running the IC behind the driver's side fog light is more efficient then behind the lower grille, that's where I'll go. What are your fuel pump and injector specs?

And last, but not least, I noticed two different transmissions in this thread. The 4T65E, which is what I have, and the Getrag 282, which is what my Chevrolet Celebrity Estate has. It's well-known the 4T65E is notoriously weak transmissions. I've done a little bit of reading, and noticed claims that the F40 transmission will bolt to a 3900. Have you ever considered this option? Also, the '12 Impala came with the 6T70 transmission, but I don't hear much about them. Based on your project, which transmission would you recommend using for a boosted 3900?

Finally, I hope you don't mind that I'm eager to build my 3900 the same as yours. It's not to be disrespectful. Your build is an inspiration.
                            2006 Chevrolet Impala LTZ
                            1987 Chevrolet Celebrity Estate

Comment

Originally posted by ImpalaLZ9 View Post
                              It's well-known the 4T65E is notoriously weak transmissions.
                              As well as it can be built to withstand 1000HP...

Grated that is the extreme, BUT with a few of those parts that are available such has better clutch packs, better input shaft and LSD differentials... Those will help make the 65e survive easily.

Got Lope?
                              3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                              Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                              Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                              12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
                                As well as it can be built to withstand 1000HP...

Grated that is the extreme, BUT with a few of those parts that are available such has better clutch packs, better input shaft and LSD differentials... Those will help make the 65e survive easily.

http://tripleedgeperformance.com/GM_...nce_4T65E.html
                                Thank you for that bit ... It's always great to learn new things about your car.
                                2006 Chevrolet Impala LTZ
                                1987 Chevrolet Celebrity Estate

Comment

Working...
                                X