muffler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• muffler

I'm trying to find a 3" in/out muffler for my turbo build. I was looking at a hooker aerochamber, and I hadn't seen any reviews on it for a turbo build. I'd prefer a muffler that actually muffles, anyone have any input or sound clips? I'd prefer single in/out, but may consider a dual out too.

Thanks-

Eric
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Originally posted by ericjon262 View Post
    I'm trying to find a 3" in/out muffler for my turbo build. I was looking at a hooker aerochamber, and I hadn't seen any reviews on it for a turbo build. I'd prefer a muffler that actually muffles, anyone have any input or sound clips? I'd prefer single in/out, but may consider a dual out too.

Thanks-

Eric
    Forced induction drastically changes the sound at WOT, as you probably know. With a quiet muffler you can hear more "air rushing sound" which is kind of cool. Position of the muffler in the exhaust path, length of tailpipe past the muffler affects it. I got mine bolted on in back because it's easily removed, but I never remove it anymore. First one is MP62, TOGs, 3 inch Magnaflow CAT, 3 inch Magnaflow muffler. It's kind of raspy, sounds like most single exhausts, great at idle, lots of interior drone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB8EB39zlF4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxFgiemLwYs

edit: I sometimes add a silencer in the back of the muffler tip, good for minus 3-4 dB.( terrible for power)
    Last edited by AleroB888; 04-13-2013, 11:21 AM.
    1999 GLS MP90 supercharged / 2003 GL MP62 supercharged / 2004 GLS stock
    Magnuson MP90 / TOG's / 3 in. Magnaflow exhaust / MSD ignition / LS1 MAF / Racetronix pump / HP Tuners / TCE 68mm TB / 36 lb Inj
    = Best track time: 12.951 @ 104.48, 1.839 60 ft. (Beech Bend Raceway Park, 11-23-13), 50 Deg. F
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpVYZPbpPzk

Comment

my exhaust, from the DP to the tip, will probably be all of 4' long... part of the reason I'm lookng for a good muffler.

I intend to Vband the muffler, so it can be replaced with a strait pipe for track days.

to be honest, I don't really care for the sound of your exhaust, it's a bit raspy for my tastes. the supercharger on the other hand, sounds incredible!
      "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Originally posted by ericjon262 View Post
        my exhaust, from the DP to the tip, will probably be all of 4' long... part of the reason I'm lookng for a good muffler.

I intend to Vband the muffler, so it can be replaced with a strait pipe for track days.

to be honest, I don't really care for the sound of your exhaust, it's a bit raspy for my tastes. the supercharger on the other hand, sounds incredible!
        Sound was never a consideration, a well-placed resonator would improve it. Less loud usually means less flow or more weight. I stuck an extra CAT on the back of it (instead of the muffler) one time and it sounded surprisingly good..........but it was like hey, you've got the CAT on there wrong, buddy lol
        1999 GLS MP90 supercharged / 2003 GL MP62 supercharged / 2004 GLS stock
        Magnuson MP90 / TOG's / 3 in. Magnaflow exhaust / MSD ignition / LS1 MAF / Racetronix pump / HP Tuners / TCE 68mm TB / 36 lb Inj
        = Best track time: 12.951 @ 104.48, 1.839 60 ft. (Beech Bend Raceway Park, 11-23-13), 50 Deg. F
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpVYZPbpPzk

Comment

Originally posted by AleroB888 View Post
          Sound was never a consideration, a well-placed resonator would improve it. Less loud usually means less flow or more weight. I stuck an extra CAT on the back of it (instead of the muffler) one time and it sounded surprisingly good..........but it was like hey, you've got the CAT on there wrong, buddy lol

I'm willing to sacrifice some performance for sound, I'm not a fan of raspy exhausts, and I don't want to get too much attention in the car(it's already a bright red Fiero...)

Comment

Lorenzo (gpse3400) had Hooker Aerochambers on his Monte SS with the LS? v8 in it. Granted it's not a 60v6 but it sounded really nice. I don't know of any sound clips of his, though. I'm not able to find the track footage from the strip.
            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
            91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
            92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
            94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
            Originally posted by Jay Leno
            Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

If you're concerned about sound, get the longest Magnaflow you can get or consider the Dynomax VT.

Tim
              1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
              325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

I liked my Dynomax UltraFlo Welded. The VT series ones look neat too.

I might try this one on my Fiero next time around :

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/imm-88105
                11.92 @ 122 MPH 3400 91 Cavalier Z24 Intercooled S/C. -totalled-
                10.56 @ 130 MPH 3900 LZ9 87 IROC Z28 Intercooled GT4088 Turbo

Comment

I'm starting to think I may go with a super turbo and a cutout...

Comment

that's what this 87_special used on his car, and it nice and quiet,

Just a little walk around video for the guys on PFF. Car is for-sale for $2200. Located in Pensacola, FL. See http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/058738.ht...

got a video of yours Mars?

Comment

well, I went ahead and ordered the Aerochamber... I'll see about getting a sound byte once it's installed and the car is running.

Comment

Ever get a video? I'm looking for similar characteristics in a new muffler for my car.

91 SS . 3400/5spd - S&S, TCE, EP, FFP, SPEC, DSS, K&N . GEARHEAD dezign

Comment

Originally posted by woody90gtz View Post
                          Ever get a video? I'm looking for similar characteristics in a new muffler for my car.
                          no, not yet, I have yet to hear it myself... long story...

Comment

If you want to be unique, record the sound and run through a spectrograph. Find the loudest frequency range and place a Helmholtz resonator on the exhaust. Should be 1/4 length of the wavelength you want to suppress. Same science is used behind lots of mufflers. This is just a custom way of altering the exhaust note.

Works great for drone supression as well, if you get drone. Just got to find the frequency range of the noise and make a 1/4 length and 90 degree it to any part of the exhaust.
                            1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

I'm running 3" exhaust and a Moroso Sprioflow muffler on my car, while it's a turbo 2.8L, it's not a 660, it's a Nissan I6.

I think it sounds good, though I've never heard it from outside the car, at least not while I was still, my boss and I traded cars for a short drive once, and the car has changed quite a bit since then.

I did notice back when my car was N/A, that when the muffler pulled out of the old exhaust (It was a quick and dirty install at the time), that I definitely lost power.

Many people tell me that I have a grumbly V8 sound, I had one guy on Friday at the track tell me that it sounded like I had an LSx in my car. *shrug*

Now the sound will be different on a V engine, because of how the primary end of the exhaust would be set-up, but I'm planning to keep my Sprioflow (or get a new one) when I swap to a V6.

Some neighbours think the car is loud, at 8 on a Sunday morning at least, but most people comment how quiet it is until I get on it.

This was about 4 years ago and doesn't really do it justice. It's hard to get the same sound on a computer, especially when recorded with a digital (stills) camera:

This was a video I took minutes before I started converting it to EFI and turbocharged:
                              Last edited by Guest; 09-08-2013, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X