Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I run the coilpack ignition on my car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I run the coilpack ignition on my car?

Ok, the engine (the short block) is a 97 3400V6. I have changed it to a carbureted engine(iron heads, pistons from a Camaro 3.4, carb intake manifold). I was wondering I I can still use the coilpack ingnition system? Unfortunately I had found a posting the other night and I forgot to bookmark it like an idiot. It showed a simple diagram of which wires needed to be spliced to make it work. From what it showed the ECM in my 81 Sport Omega would be able to run it. I hope someone here can help. Thanks.

all the wires you need are still there. Since you have a 3400 block you already have the crank sensor or at least a provision for it.

To make it work correctly you will have to get into the computer and change on of the values associated with dis.
    The wires and the connections are the same but the difference is in the way the computer controls the timing. So this means it will only work if you have a way to tune the compouter... I have the pics/diagrams necessary if you need them
    Originally posted by Mars
    Haha ^ Wrong Wheel Drive.
    S10 Blazer 4.3, turbo LX9 in its future...
    No 60šV6 at the moment

Comment

The diagrams would be helpful, although from reading other topics maybe I should use a 7730 ecm to run it? Then will the 7730 operate well enough with the signal from a TPS, and MAP sensor to control advance?

Comment

I think that a 7730 would be your best bet, but why not run the whole motor on it?

Put the 3400 top end back on (100 times better anyway) a 7730 with a 3400 swap chip, and presto. Fuel injection, smooth driver, nice cold starts, and the dependability of fuel injection, plus the power associated with better breathing.

Thats what im doing, except kinda the other way around with a 3.4 rwd block and 3500 heads.
        No 60šV6 at the moment

Comment

Just trying to keep the car a little more old school.
          Attached Files

Comment

maybe post a pic of the engine bay?

Dis isnt very old school, but all to your taste
            No 60šV6 at the moment

Comment

Here's a few more pics of the car. It had a tough life, check out the pics of the wheel bearings/spindle (the before and after). They drove it until it almost ground another hole in the spindle, it kinda looked like a figure 8 hole from the back side. I saved those pieces for the wall of shame and for whenever I finally get to take it to a car show. It does look a lot cleaner using the serpentine belt setup as opposed to it would've originally came with the long water pump/v belt front accessory drive. I had to rescue it after finding out they only made 696 of these Sport Omegas. It has its own unique piece of GM history as thevery first GM vehicle to use plastic body panels, the front fenders and rear flares are made of it. It's going to take a little reconstruction to repair the rear flare it's missing a section on the bottom.
              Attached Files

Comment

Looks like you already have good progress

And good god @ the hole in the spindle!

It looks like its carbureted. Am I wrong?

You own a rare piece of oldsmobile and just think of it this way:

You will be the first ever 3400 swap into an omega! You already have the lower end in it, so thats a plus.
                No 60šV6 at the moment

Comment

Well it is a 3400, but in order to swap to iron heads I also had to swap out pistons from a camaro 3.4 to maintain a decent compression ratio. Otherwise I would've ended up with a very blower friendly 7.5 to 1. Working on repairing the plastic fender is a lot more challenging than metal. The whole drivers side was swiped, probably because the wheel bearing was so for out of alignment they finally lost control of the car. The other stupid thing they did was they yanked the original 2.8 and had stuck an Iron Duke in it!!!??? It was just a mess. Oh, and the floorboards are toast. I love my plasma cutter and welder, grinder, spot weld drill bits. etc. If you think about all the money GM spent on tooling to make the special items for this car only to sell 696 of them. The molds for the fenders, rear flares, rear spoiler, urethane nose and all the related parts (regular Omegas had a aluminum front bumper/abs plastic header).
                  Attached Files

Comment

i like this.... i like this, Alot. I've kinda been drawn into the 2 door OMegas that have been abundent at bucks lately. they looks like a mini cutless. My old room mate fixed one up too, the floor boards were gone and the bottom back of the doors were rusted too, other than that, fairly solid car and nice to drive.

How ever, there was someone who converted to a coilpack and did a very nice write up on it here for a older F-body, it might be some help.

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

I like it too, but only the 80-81 models. The 82-84 had tail lights that were more square and didn't peak just over the to of the quarter panel like mine does. I'm also trying to find a factory tach, but I don't think I'll find one. I've tried a dealer to get a part number but the parts book shows it as an item serviced by Delco as many elctronic parts were back then so the book wouldn't show a number. Kind of dumb, it has to have a part number to start with. There is one more of these cars now in the Mpls/St.Paul matro area. A guy I haven't actually met yet but I've talked to on the phone and email bought one of these cars after I turned him onto it. Actually I had left him my phone number on his 81 Omega Brougham 2dr. I had seen on my way to one of the local u pull yards last spring. FYI, his Brougham is also a 4 speed car. Here's pics of his Sport Omega and his Brougham
                      Attached Files

Comment

And it appears he has a Citation coupe... bastard. :P
                        -Brad-
                        89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                        sigpic
                        Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

That, is f**king mint! just for you i'll keep an eye out for the tach. anything else? lol

Comment

Thanks, yeah just the tack is all I'm looking for. It's too bad the polycast rims Todd has on his Sport Omega were'nt 14 0r 15's. I know 13" tires were the norm on these cars. They do look good on the Sport.

Comment

5 spoke 15's are the way to go, my RM use to have my 15" ASA's on there, it looks really sharp with a 205/50/15

Comment

Working...
                              X