Which Mega Squirt should i get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Mega Squirt should i get?

I have a 91 s10 that I'm getting all the parts I need to do a turbo set up. It has a 2.8 that has been bored 30 over, and I have bought all the parts to do a mpfi setup as well. I'm just confused on which on to get as they all sound the same to me.
    Last edited by solows10; 04-20-2018, 06:51 AM. Reason: added more info

it really depends on how much control over everything you want. the megasquirt 2 will control fuel and ignition just fine (along with idle control, fan and fuel pump outputs) on any gen 1 2 or 3 engine (2.8-3400). if you want some more options, the megasquirt 3 gives you the option for boost control, launch control, water/meth injection system control, along with sequential fuel injection and coil on plug ignition control (neither of those are of use on a 2.8l without a cam/crank sensor).

id say go with the megasquirt 2, its just a lot simpler being your starting from scratch. later on if you want to add all the extras you can upgrade your existing megasquirt 2 with the megasquirt 3 "daughterboard" (basically the processor) and expansion card and turn it into a megasquirt 3

Comment

ok what about the trigger wheel I don't know if my motor has one or where it might be

Comment

you dont need a trigger wheel, the megasquirt will read the rpm signal from the distributor.

Comment

so just to throw a wrench in things I want to do coil on cylinder.

Comment

For most people the MS2 would do them well, and is a great setup for most people. However, if you're anything like me, you like to tinker and will keep adding to and wanting to use more features so an MS3 variant is what I recommend for those people like me.

The fact that you want COP I'd say just go straight to MS3x or MS3Pro, so that you have 6 coil outputs to be able to do true sequential, even if you do start off that way.

To use COP, or even retrofitting the FWD GM DIS will require a trigger wheel to be added to your engine. The gen1 60 degree V6 doesn't have a crank trigger wheel, except for the 3.4 in the F-bodies, which uses the same trigger wheel as the gen2 and 3 FWD engines.

For the most support and ease of finding parts going with the 36-1 trigger wheel that is commonly available will make the trigger wheel setup fairly straight forward. This can be fed directly to the MS. You could then modify your dizzy to provide a cam sync trigger, for full on sequential fuel and ignition. You can also use the trigger wheel without the cam sync trigger for wasted spark and batch/semi-sequential fuel. This would be an easier way to get the engine up and running and then add in the cam sync later.

You could also just retain your dizzy the way it is for now, get it installed and learn the system that way, keeping things simple to start with and add in more features later, once you get the hang of Megasquirt.

Comment

thanks guys for your input it will help me in the near future im sure of that. And I would love to find someone around me that could help with the trigger wheel setup, but im sure that wont happen LOL

Comment

You'd be surprised how many people will be near you that can help.

Being a part of the MSExtra forums can be very helpful and sometimes find people willing to help you in person.

Comment

Working...
                X