3.4L DOHC Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.4L DOHC Swap

i decided on doing a 3.1L to a 3.4L DOHC swap once i get the money i know a place that has a few 3.4L's sit and i'd be able to get ahold of one that has 78k miles on it. would my tranny thats in my 1992 GP SE now be compatable with the 3.4L? and what all would be needed to do a complete swap?
    1992 Pontiac Grand Prix SE
    94' DOHC/4T60-E swapped
    94' Cutlass Supreme dash swapped

Your tranny will bolt up, but I don't think it is an electronic one. You should have a 4T60, and the 3.4 DOHC uses a 4T60-E.

To do a complete swap, you might just want to try to get the entire front end, and get all of the wiring up to the firewall connector.

If you get a 1992 engine wiring harness, then it should plug right into your stock interior wiring without needing to be changed.

You will also want to get the front strut assemblies with the springs. The 3.4 DOHC is a good 100-150 lbs more than the 3.1, so if you use your stock front springs with the twin cam, you will bottom the car out.

To be honest with you, you might want to consider a 3400, or 3500 swap instead. I bought a 1995 Cutlass Supreme with a bad twin cam, and for the ammount of money that I have spent on it just trying to get it running right, I could have bought a 3900 and 6 speed manual. I am REALLY kicking myself for trying to deal with this engine.

This is just my personal opinion, but I would look into a 3400 before a twin cam. The weight saving alone is worth it. The Twin cam CAMS weigh about 20 lbs EACH, and there are 5 in there. 2 in the front, 2 in the back, and 1 dummy one that runs the oil pump. That is 100 lbs in cams alone in that engine.

In the end, it is totally your decision, and there are a lot of people that are all for the 3.4 DOHC swap, but for the time and money, I think you should look for a 3400 or 3500.
    Taylor
    1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3100 MPFI
    1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.1 MPFI
    1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible
    1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
    "find something simple and complicate it"

Comment

with the 3400 will my tranny and everything work like would it be a direct drop? how much HP and torqe does the 3400 have to?
      1992 Pontiac Grand Prix SE
      94' DOHC/4T60-E swapped
      94' Cutlass Supreme dash swapped

Comment

Working...
      X