X Car Engine Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X Car Engine Swap

I have a 1984 Phoenix and the 2.8 is gettin tired , would lke to take the cradle out of the phoenix and replace it with a 92 buick rack and a 3800 motor transaxel and the whole front end wheels etc Just wondering if anyone has done this swap and would like any Information I can get on the swap..Thanks Treny

if you car came with a 2.8 motor you should maybe think about swaping another 60*V6 like a 3.4 or 3400/3500
    you probley will not find much help here with a 90*V6 as we don't really care for them here
    01 olds shilluette 3400/4T65-E stock for now

Comment

How much work to change to a 3.4 out of Grand am like one out of a 95-2000 gm

Comment

Actually it is not that hard. First I would suggest reading through a few articles to get some ideas.

Check some of this information out to get you started. http://60degreev6.com/forum/f85/engine-swaps-t25028

A 3400 in and X Car would be a blast.
        1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
        1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
        Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Mine is front wheel drive would the 2.8 transaxel bolt to the 3.4 or would I use the one from the 3.4, A buddie of mine put a 3.8 in a 97 cavy eh he put a rack out of a grand am , stuff was really tight in there eh 3.4 prob better .the wheelbase width is almost the same as the phoenix.I thaught it may be easier to change the whole thing .And I AM CANADIAN >> Im in Carrolls Corner NS35 miles north east of halifax .I have a good source in a junkyard nad he has alot of stuff cheap eh ..

Comment

hey your from halifax ! i live in new brunsick .
            if your car is a 2.8 fwd then a 3400 even a 3500 would bolt up to the transaxle no problem
            you may have to change up the motor mounts but everything elese should fit fine

Comment

I think its a gen1 2.8 .Its in a 1984 pontiac Phoenixeems to be the simplist way to go ,I guess the transaxel is strong enough to take the 3.4.,Think I saw on the other page where u can get a set of mounts for it then I wouod need the computer for the motor , dont think mine has a computer as it has a carb on it the 4 cyls had tbi's .Would it matter if it was multi port o rwoiuld that matter..
              The car is onmy page http://users.eastlink.ca/~treny/ (main page bottom..)

Comment

Where are u in NB Been all over new brunswick My son plays hockey so we do alot of travellin he was in MIdget till last year and he was 18 so his last year , Gettin off the subject .Jeese..
                May have to get an electric fuel pump , have a motor and computer , guess I just ned the mounts..
                That old thing should get along fine with a 3.4 in there eh ! more power than the 2.8 and prob a better crank.

Comment

i am from miramichi
                  yeah if you had a2.8 carbed you will deffinaly need a ecu the easyest one to use would be a 88-90 Z24 ecu as far as i know.but it would have to be reprogramed afterwards.
                  yeah it should run good after that the carbed 2.8 may best 120 hp at best. and a 3400 starts at 190-195hp with a good tune.

Comment

sounds good to me , I was thinkin or useing the computer out of the grand am with it shouldnt be much programmin Ide have to find someone to do it eh ..
                    Think we were in Newcastle a couple times playin hockey , Bet its nice up there in the summer eh ..

Comment

yeah i guess you could use the ecu out off the grand am. but that would be a obd2 set up and probley be hader to hook up. (but i am not sure first hand)

Comment

If your looking to change subframe, engine, transmissions, axles, etc into a X body, look to an A body (Celebrity/Eurosport, Century, Cutlass Ciera, Pont A6000). The subframes have the same dimentions, so a Eurosport or A6000STE steering gear will bolt in. The '84 already has the late model subframe (80-81 subframes are different), so your good there. Look for a sway bar from an X-11 or Eurosport for the front. If you inst a late model 3400 or 3500 with the aluminum oil pan, you'll need to redrill the holes in the frame to match the mount. An A body ECM and wiring harness will work well with a minimun amount of modification. The fuel tank, lines, etc will bolt into the X body (2 or 4 door A body works). Olds and Buick had the last A bodies (up to '96), so their your best bet. Bellhousing bolt pattern is the same for the 2.8, 3.1-3.4. The later 2.8/3.1 is internally balanced, so the early 2.8 flywheel won't work - just use the 3.1 flywheel.
                        Check the Yahoo groups: chevycitationsforever and raregmfwd for more info. D

Comment

Working...
                        X