dohc swap into fiero?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dohc swap into fiero?

i have a question about the 3.4 dohc swap into the fiero.if i have the fiero gt,the 3.4 engine and transmision how much would it cost me to put the engine and transmission into the fiero?

it depends on who does the work...
    Past Builds;
    1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
    1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
    Current Project;
    1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Alot of variables here Junior. Do you have the engine / trans assembly already? You know that you will need the computer / engine wire harness, depending on what year block, custom made motor mounts, depending on the trans, different axle shafts, custom made exhaust - do I need to keep going? If I were to do this swap with ALL of the parts there ready to install, I would probably charge $2,500 to $3,000. If I had to do everything (provide all of the components) Start at $8,000 up to $12,000. This covers alot of ground in case you didn't notice. There are alot of different considerations in price of parts - used or new, fabrication and patience. It is also not easy to find someone who is willing or able to do this swap.

Comment

ok well i have a the fiero and it runs and drives fine.i also have a lumina z34 with the engine currently out and rebuilt.with the transmission.also what i meant by how much it would cost is how much it would cost me to do it.with all the custom work thats involved.things i would have to buy etc

Comment

also the fiero is an 87 gt.and the lumina is an 93 lumina z34.auto tranny wich is what i would like to drop in.thanx for any help

Comment

Ok, that changes stuff considerably. Having a donor vehicle is a total bonus. The cost has gone down dramatically. You will have to install the complete engine wiring harnes (you probably already know), after removing the engine / tranny cradle - that would come first. The wiring harness would probably be a close fit to what is currently there since the engine compartments are similar, except for the radiator in the FWD car. The Fiero was basically a complete FWD transplanted to a mid engine configuration. Next, if I remember correctly, the engine mounts are the same in the Fiero. Some of the guys on this site are more familiar with the electronics, I think the 93 has an electronic control transmission. The axle shafts might even be the same. The major cost I can see here is the exhaust system, that shouldn't be too bad either. The entire engine side of the exhaust unbolted from the mid pipe would probably fit right in. The money part is having another exhaust built or connecting the current sytem to the DOHC. If you have all of the parts and don't have to custom fab much, do it yourself, you cuold possibly get away with this swap for under $1,000. Oh, I remember - the damn heads on the 3.4 are mangous big. That is where you might have a problem. I know this swap has been done many times, I seem to remember that there is some slight engine compartment interference that has to be addressed. I'll see if I can come up with the info.
            Last edited by Mad Max; 03-25-2010, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Get a hold of FerrariFan........he owns an 87 GT with a transplanted DOHC that has a lung on it (nice car).....he will be able to tell you all you will need to do this swap.

91 LQ1 GP GT

Comment

ok phew i was hoping that i wouldnt have to spend that much to put it in my self lol.but how exactly do i get in touch with ferrai fan what do i do after i click the link how do i pm him?

Comment

this should point you in the right direction....

91 LQ1 GP GT

Comment

Lots of info to wade through here:

HI all, OK! Let's start this one anew peeps! Now, before we begin this topic I am gonna have to say that I'LL bring up DKOV and OTHERS in this thread, if you don't wish to play NICE here then go to the other thread about positive info on DKOV..... Pretty much ALL of us are aware of what happened with DKOV, and it is a tragedy for you, what this thread hopes to accomlish is to bring awareness

Info here:

A lot of the info shown at dohcfiero.com is doing it the hard way. Is your car a V6? If so you can use the stock engine mount from your Fiero on the 3.4DOHC. There's some cutting required in the Fiero engine bay on the passenger side trunk hinge mount. The Fiero dogbone mount is used but a custom engine mount must be fabricated for the 3.4. If you are not using the power steering pump (and I think I'm the only one running power steering on my Fiero so far), an idler pulley is required for the accessory belt.

The engine harness for the swap is far simpler than the stock 2.8 harness. Fewer sensors and none of the vacuum piping. I pulled my harness back off after I had installed it to rework it. I cut a few of the 3.4DOHC connectors out and rerouted some of the wires to make things more direct.

I just takes patience (and a factory repair manual).

Neil

Comment

Working...
                    X